Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Criminal Record Monitor and people after you
PostPosted:Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:37 pm 

Ok this is what I know...

Whenever you make a noticeable hack on a company, especially a mainframe\LAN hack, they create a mission to trace you some time later. At that point you're doing all the high level missions so pretty much all trace missions are to trace youself so you can't accept any...

Your idea for why you can't accept them is quite good, it makes sense to me, though the mission to trace you might be showing up too early for that to be true. Perhaps make it take longer?

Also, when a hacker fails to trace you but the company still has you as their only suspect they'd try to frame you... I think that's how it'd work.

PostPosted:Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:00 am 

Quote:
Ok this is what I know...

Whenever you make a noticeable hack on a company, especially a mainframe\LAN hack, they create a mission to trace you some time later. At that point you're doing all the high level missions so pretty much all trace missions are to trace youself so you can't accept any...

Your idea for why you can't accept them is quite good, it makes sense to me, though the mission to trace you might be showing up too early for that to be true. Perhaps make it take longer?

Also, when a hacker fails to trace you but the company still has you as their only suspect they'd try to frame you... I think that's how it'd work.
Yeah I like that.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 pm 

The Criminal Record Monitor, yes, that would be a good idea, but what I was (also) talking about was framing you by modifying the logs, just like the higher level "frame someone for something". If someone did that, how on earth could you know you're being framed in time, since there's pretty much nothing which could alert you in time to (un)delete the modified logs? It's impossible to monitor every server's log files :\

This feature could of course just be left out. Your idea for other hacker's simply modifying your criminal record isn't too bad though. It's just strange when any other hacker can (and will) be framed, but not you.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:09 pm 

Quote:
The Criminal Record Monitor, yes, that would be a good idea, but what I was (also) talking about was framing you by modifying the logs, just like the higher level "frame someone for something". If someone did that, how on earth could you know you're being framed in time, since there's pretty much nothing which could alert you in time to (un)delete the modified logs? It's impossible to monitor every server's log files :\

This feature could of course just be left out. Your idea for other hacker's simply modifying your criminal record isn't too bad though. It's just strange when any other hacker can (and will) be framed, but not you.
Yes I see the problem, if the player is to be disavowed rather than arrested the feds would pounce on the gateway, but there'd be no criminal record changed. Not so bad if you have a wireless router, but obviously we don't want to be buying a new one at 60000 each after each mission.

Part of the problem is, logs changed with the log modifier can't be recovered, even just using log modifier V1.

I assume though, that this was because NPC hackers would never use the log modifier. That being the case, if that was changed to allow modified logs to be recovered with the log undeleter or a new piece of software, there's a possibility that you could pay a kind of 'protection' fee to Uplink, which would get you the promise that if an organisation accused you of hacking their system, Uplink would hire another agent to check it before disavowing you.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 am 

I know that is old topic, but i have some idea about problem how player could be protected against "frame someone" missions targeting player, except falsifying news servers.
Do you know how keyloggers, and troyan horses work? They are gathering information about your system and every move.
So why not make such software in Onlink? It would work like revelationTracer from arunmor mission (hide him self in system) and watch infected systems for any log changes, and report them to dedicated auxiliary gateway that would be working only on investigation of received logs. And when it will find some log that is targeting player, it would send e-mail with info where is that log.
Of course better aux gateway, more time you would have to delete log before it will be traced, so player would have to buy some better cpu, ram and else stuff to make this protecting system work fine and fast, so warning message gets to player on time.
Word about software:
there will be 2 programs to make:
tracer, and some program that will investigate logs. And imo they should be expensive, but player thanks to them (tracer, special software to investigate logs, and fast aux gateway that would be dedicated ONLY to this job) will have his back safe.
But there is one more thing: from where tracer would know where to report logs?
option 1: player have to enter ip address of receiving system (bit more writing - but imo better)
option 2: automatically
And just one more thing, when massage will be arriving when player have faster time rate (i am talking about that 4 switches next to clock - btw sry for bad english) then time wold be slowed down to normal.
And we have new way of use auxiliary gateway.

But on the base of this solution, there can be new mission to make. "frame some hacker" but to make it right, you first have to shutdown his logs investigating aux gateway, and npc hackers than wants to frame you, have to shut your aux gateway first. But this gateway can be stored in players lan (so hacker have to go through player lan first) and vice-versa. Aux gateway of another hacker is in his lan. So we have some long and difficult additional missions for really high ranked Agents.
Of course that part with lan can be made when there will be option of making own in-game lans.

And that is how i see this. Imo that can be tricky and fun (frame some one else after cracking his lan and protecting own back from other hackers attacks).

PostPosted:Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 am 

Quote:
So why not make such software in Onlink? It would work like revelationTracer from arunmor mission (hide him self in system) and watch infected systems for any log changes, and report them to dedicated auxiliary gateway that would be working only on investigation of received logs. And when it will find some log that is targeting player, it would send e-mail with info where is that log.
Okay so the one after the player simply has to "infect" InterNic with it (or since that isn't possible just create a minefield of tracing servers checking if someone bounced from InterNIC) and would receive word of you hacking any server on the entire web within nanoseconds. A quick logtime compare and retrace from InterNIC to the server that has been hacked and the player is busted. I personally prefer being sent to jail the conventional way ;).

PostPosted:Sun May 31, 2009 6:37 am 

Quote:
Okay so the one after the player simply has to "infect" InterNic with it (or since that isn't possible just create a minefield of tracing servers checking if someone bounced from InterNIC) and would receive word of you hacking any server on the entire web within nanoseconds. A quick logtime compare and retrace from InterNIC to the server that has been hacked and the player is busted. I personally prefer being sent to jail the conventional way ;).
No. Tracking every move of player or another hacker(tracing bouncking route) using troyan horses (or some bots that can follow it's diffrent story. And you would have to infect all systems in bounce path, but i still don't get it how that would work. Something like active tracing? Besides if bounce will be going to uninfected server, then trace is lost, and hacker have to hack in there to see where it leads furhter.

I was talking about program, that is searching only for logs that are tergeting players/owners ip.
When you have to frame some hacker, you have to hack in to some server, let admin start to trace you, disconnect and change log in bounce path to make it looks like connection was started form hackers pc. After passive trace hacker is busted.
So bounce cuold look like that.
Player -> InterNIC -> serv.A -> serv.B -> hacked server, that was tracing you.
And if you whant to frame that hacker, you have to change bounce route to make it look like this one:
Hacker -> serv.A -> serv.B -> hacked server, that was tracing you.
Now passive trace will end on hacker's pc, and he's busted. Also hacker didn't know that someone is going to frame him and some time later he is busted.
Standard mission, that only player can do.
Now if hacker had infected with troyan serv.A, where you changed log that was leading to InterNIC to make it look like it's leading to hackers pc, He have chance that his aux gateway will find that log before passive tracing will find it. Then he just have to delete this log before it's to late.
Thanks to that, there can be mission frame hacker, in wchich player is target, and player can discover that someone whant to frame him.
Such missions should be available to npc's after player have really high rank, so there is chance that playre can defend him self.
But if player whant to be 100% safe, he have to infect all server that can be infected. Yes, this is quite a lot, but they say that life is brutal :)
To lower number of systems that player have to infect to be 100% safe, it's good idea to chose one, or two types of servers on which npc's will left logs that are targeting player.
Also there can be anti-troyan software, that can delete troyans. After trojan is deleted, owner (player/npc) have a messege that troyan horse on that server stopped sending info, and player have to infect that server once more.
Btw, yes, with InterNIC there is problem, so there are two solutions:
Make some file storage on InterNIC, or make npc's don't use InterNIC to frame player.

*all hacker i was talking about are npc
** i know, my english is not the best :p

PostPosted:Sun May 31, 2009 6:31 pm 

Holy necro batman. :classy:

PostPosted:Sun May 31, 2009 10:06 pm 
Organ Donor

Quote:
Holy necro batman. :classy:
Seriously. It was a necro of a necro of a necro.
Jun 2008 => Jan 2009 => April 2009 => May 2009

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

Post subject:the reporter found dozens of private grave
PostPosted:Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:06 pm 

[This used to be spam]

But I couldn't just let it slide.

Thank you, spambot, for the necro of a necro of a necro of a necro.

-sentinel

PostPosted:Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
January to April to May of the same year isn't that big of a necro on a forum as slow as this.

A three-year necro, on the other hand...

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:14 am 

*Hopes this doesn't count as gravedigging*

Maybe the game could contain a list of Corporations/System Administrators you have humiliated (through some of the more extreme missions), and set the employer for these framing missions appropriately. Could also be fun to up the stakes once you've dissed ARC/Arunmor.