Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Where should I find Information?
    PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 am 

I have been playing onlink for some days and everything new I have to try and error until something works. Where should I find any information? Your wiki is a big PHP table error for me, maybe because I am on mobile?

-What's the difference on Disables and Killers?
    I assumed killers were way slower. Turns out they aren't
    -Why Uplift Systems works even after we delete their .sys backup?
    There is no clue on the entire Onlink talking about Uplifters and what they do, or why they exist
    I figured out what they are doing, but when I got there, there was no console to crash'em, but ok I will delete the .sys from their filesystem
    Doesn't work, it still recovers the target computer. I had to Encrypt their backup, it doesn't make sense to have this as the only way to unable a uplift.

-Why Denial exists?
    I understand what they do, but I don't have a clue why would I need this, and nor the Uplink servers have the information.

-Why this Internal Server blocks all my programs?
    Looks like the Admin is the asnwer, but there is nothing on his pc, there no way to make his pc access the Internal Server, maybe I can get into other servers from thr company using Name Server, there is no clue on what the heck this system protection is. It is just a 15k mission, why no one know about this security measure?

-Network Name Servers.
    Do you people know the only difference of a Public Server and a Network Name Server is the Public in the name? And if you connect to the server via InterNIC, it shows exactly like a public server?
    How should we know it is something different?

It is a Name Server, with Network Name which shows peoples pc, and there is nothing pointing it inside Onlink.

Conclusion: any obstacle of the game should be solveable within the game, not with outside information. Or am I missing a major server which gives all those answers?

I am worried to meddle with LANs and what new things I will Not Know until something goes wrong, and wrong, and wrong and should work know, but no, wrong. I am fine with not doing right, but What is the logic on uplift systems? I already deleted their backup there is no reasonable answer for their miraculous regeneration. At least show why the .sys comeback besides Difficulty.

VSEC is nice, stop complaining about it.

Post subject:Re: Where should I find Information?
    PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 pm 

Quote:
    I have been playing onlink for some days and everything new I have to try and error until something works. Where should I find any information? Your wiki is a big PHP table error for me, maybe because I am on mobile?
    No, not because of you being on mobile, its just down at the moment and apparently being fixed or something.
    Quote:
    -What's the difference on Disables and Killers?
    I assumed killers were way slower. Turns out they aren't
    No, they are a bit slower, but unlike disablers, they can disable any security level (1-8).
    Quote:
    -Why Uplift Systems works even after we delete their .sys backup?
    There is no clue on the entire Onlink talking about Uplifters and what they do, or why they exist
    I figured out what they are doing, but when I got there, there was no console to crash'em, but ok I will delete the .sys from their filesystem
    Doesn't work, it still recovers the target computer. I had to Encrypt their backup, it doesn't make sense to have this as the only way to unable a uplift.
    Lifting Servers work when you delete the os.sys, kernel.sys and boot.sys stuff from the console on a company's system. They are contacted and basically the attacked server just copies the sys files from the lifting server. Sometimes more than 1 lifting server per system. And yes that is the only way (i think) other than using a DDoS attack or rewriting your save file.
    Quote:
    -Why Denial exists?
    I understand what they do, but I don't have a clue why would I need this, and nor the Uplink servers have the information.
    Denial exists so you can restrict access onto a server. Useful for disabling lifting servers if i remember correctly. Nothing else really.
    Quote:
    -Why this Internal Server blocks all my programs?
    Looks like the Admin is the asnwer, but there is nothing on his pc, there no way to make his pc access the Internal Server, maybe I can get into other servers from thr company using Name Server, there is no clue on what the heck this system protection is. It is just a 15k mission, why no one know about this security measure?
    Im guessing you mean Access Control Servers from where you said they block your programs. This server only allows any programs on its own fileserver to be used on any server apart from itself. You just need to copy the programs you want to use onto its fileserver, go into the console, pass the VSEC and type "cd usr" then "verify". Delete logs and all of course.
    Quote:
    -Network Name Servers.
    Do you people know the only difference of a Public Server and a Network Name Server is the Public in the name? And if you connect to the server via InterNIC, it shows exactly like a public server?
    How should we know it is something different?

It is a Name Server, with Network Name which shows peoples pc, and there is nothing pointing it inside Onlink.
    You need this server to get people's IP, which is useful for the Musana branch, without it you wouldn't be able to get their computer IPs for the missions. No it doesnt look like a public server because 1. you cant connect to these via InterNIC since theyre not listed on that nameserver 2. you have to login and that isn't at all like InterNIC.
    Quote:
    I am worried to meddle with LANs and what new things I will Not Know until something goes wrong, and wrong, and wrong and should work know, but no, wrong.
    LANs are easy, just buy the LAN equipment from the Uplink server and LAN_Spike from Uplink Laboratories Research Server. With LAN_Spike the admin basically cant disconnect you from the server unless you left the Main Server (dont remember what its called) for some reason. The hardest part of them is the confusing lock system in some cases, but most of the time easy LANS with modems or Local Dial Up numbers which are easy to get a hang of. Same with isolation bridges.

PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 am 

Fortunelly I figured out most of it.

About LANs, I was worried about new things, if there was any from the mod, because I question some design choices they made. Like lacking information in-game about one thing or another.

Thank you.

Framing for Bank Fraud failure chains.

How the frame should work? I made few bounces, didn't work.
    I arrested him on GCD, didn't work and I got a mission to free him.

Then I got a mission on Frame him for data destruction.

Then I got a mission to Trace a hacker. The hacker who tried to hack the bank, which was me.

I can't frame him for bank or data and I am tracing myself, which putting my name doesn't solve. Or putting his name

PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm 

The wiki is currently down. Meanwhile, you can access it using the Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org/web/201708150222 ... link_guide

Onlink is a game about hacking. While I don't agree with every decision the devs took, it is my understanding that, when hacking, you are expected to look for external resources. After all, when solving a real problem, don't we research and look for things that can help us answer it? That is why we have spoiler tags, by the way. For example, this is a spoiler on Denial:
    As the name implies, it is a program for Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. That means you have to enslave systems so it works properly. Once you have enough systems to carry out an attack, you can deny a website, such as a gateway system.

On Lifting Servers:
    The Lifting Server is currently running, which means it has its system files loaded. That is why you need to corrupt the files, so the attacked server tries to run corrupted files. If you just delete them, the attacked server will simply download a copy of the loaded system currently running on the Lifting Server.

On being unable to run any programs:
    Go into the Name Server for the company you're trying to hack. Take a look at the links. Find a system you haven't faced yet. That is your new target!