Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Onlink source code access?
    PostPosted:Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:48 pm 

what do i have to do to get access to Onlink's source code?
    I tried asking Miah in PM, but no response (he hasn't even read it, according to the forum, and it was a week ago)

why do i want access? :

Onlink, in its current 0.2.5.x beta, has over 9000 bugs (well, enough bugs to be annoying),
    and whenever i encounter a particularly annoying bug (perhaps even a game-breaking bug), i probably have a few options like:
    1. ignore/avoid it until next release
    2. stop playing until next release
    3. Debug and patch the (compiled) game, fixing the problem
    the last option is interesting, fixing problems in programs WITHOUT the source code, is (usually) A LOT harder and takes way more time, than fixing the problem in the source code, also, the effort is usually lost upon next release of the program, as the structure of the program change (since there's no API for this stuff, mostly, the memory addresses change, and when new variables are introduced in functions, the cpu registers used change, and the relative position of stuff on the stack change, so much needs to be updated to keep an assembly patch up-to-date), while a source code fix is more like a permanent fix, following into future versions of the program ~~
    i would love to be able to fix problems in the source code, it should be much easier and faster for me, then i could just send the source fix back to a onlink developer, recompile it for myself, and keep playing... i need the source code for that.

just for fun, lets compare a assembly (no source) fix, with a c++ (source available) fix:

Problem: buying shares while not having enough money to actually buy the shares, will mess up the tradeShares function, leaving you with 0 money and 0 shares

Let's fix it by making the tradeShares function check if you have enough money, before actually doing anything.

C++ fix:
    Code:
    if(sharesToTrade>0){ //we are BUYING shares. if(targetCompany->GetSharePrice()*sharesToTrade > buyer->GetBalance()){ return false;//shit, we do not have enough money. do nothing } }
    that's the source code c++ fix. seems pretty easy, right?

Now lets do that without the source code, writing the assembly directly:
    Code:
    ;sharesToTrade is in dword ptr [ebp+0C] ;target company is in ESI ;buyer person is in EDI PUSHAD cmp dword ptr [ebp+0C],0 jl EnoughMoney ;we are BUYING shares. PUSH -1 MOV ECX,ESI CALL Company::GetSharePrice MOV ESI,EAX MOV EBX, dword ptr [ebp+0C] IMUL ESI,EBX MOV ECX,EDI CALL Person::GetBalance CMP EAX,ESI JL SHORT NotEnoughMoney EnoughMoney: POPAD JMP 004C2D68 NotEnoughMoney: ;shit, we don't have enough money. do nothing. POPAD JMP 004C2E5E
    now, if you think the assembly fix looks about as easy as the c++ fix, ...you're much better at assembly than i am

Last edited by hans henrik on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:Re: Onlink source code access?
    PostPosted:Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 pm 

I remember from a Chinese poster asking for the source the Devs stated that there were minor licensing issues with releasing source?

PostPosted:Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:40 am 

yeah, i think its about section 1.3 part here http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/de ... cense.html
    (though strictly speaking, i think the Onlink installer is already breaking section 2.1 / 2.2 , which according to the start of the document, is ok if authorized by introversion)

however, if they'd be willing to share the source if i buy a DevCD, then so be it :P (but i haven't heard anything from anyone thus far, i wonder if they're thinking it over, or perhaps ignoring me, or maybe inquiring introversion about whether or not i have a dev license (which i don't), or maybe they're just too busy to check the forum atm, hmm, at least the forum says Miah has read my PM)

PostPosted:Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:50 pm 

Just create comment in the top of file:
    1 //DELETEME
    2 #include <onlinksrcfile.cpp>
    3… …

PostPosted:Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:52 pm 

Quote:
    I remember from a Chinese poster asking for the source the Devs stated that there were minor licensing issues with releasing source?
    We have buyed the source code of uplink , and translated in Chinese. That is good.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:20 pm 

The developers of Onlink have an agreement with Introversion to make mods. Only certian people can get the source code... They can't just give it out to every Joe Shmoe who asks for it.

ts;dr, They cant give it out. Have fun tryin to decompile that.