Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Kite ideas
    PostPosted:Mon May 09, 2016 5:32 pm 

So, I'm really excited about Kite, so here are some thoughts, though you were probably going to do most of these anyway:
    1) Operating Systems
    It would be nice if we had a variety of different operating systems, each with their own directory structures, and maybe even other features!

2) Randomly generated filenames
    Self-explanatory. Feels like it would add a lot more flavor to the game.

3) Viruses
    We only have one in Onlink. I propose that it be possible, for an extra cost, to make a macro a virus, worm, Trojan, or rootkit. Worms spread fastest, but are easily detected, while rootkits do not spread, but are nigh-undetectable. Viruses and Trojans are in the middle.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps this would be better done with 'infect' and 'transmit' commands, where infect infects a file, and transmit spreads to another system.

4) Real Corporations
    Basically, corporations make and lose money randomly over time, and destroying their files will make them lose a lot of money, whereas giving them data from other corporations will cause them to gain money, and you to gain favor with them. In this way, it is possible to destroy an entire company via extensive hacking.

5) External security
    It should be possible for security systems such as proxies to exist as separate network devices, preventing access to the system behind them, but also for them to run on the server itself, as in Onlink. You should also be able to install security systems for yourself.

6) Game modes
    Some ideas:
    • A mode in which you start at the dawn of the internet
      A mode in which you hack a single, massive network, with new tools stolen from servers
      A console-only mode
      A mode in which you have a contract with a corporation instead of being freelance.
    7) New system ideas:
    • Mail servers
      ISPs
      Dedicated security servers with network-wide antivirus
      Prank servers that give you a virus when connecting
      Message boards (for multiplayer?) that work like this:
    There is a large list of premade conversations. These will occur at random times, with random delays between posts. The list of conversations could include "fill in the blanks" conversations about recent events.
    • Hacker community sites
    8) Dwarf fortress-esque worldgen
    Basically, you make a world, and you can play multiple games in it.
    You can make a new world, but it will overwrite the old.

9) Removable media
    If the game has an (in-game) physical world, there should be floppies, CDs, USB sticks, etc. to allow more ways to complete missions (eg. put a disk containing a virus into the CM)

If you read this, please tell me what you think and if any of these are impractical/bad ideas!

Post subject:Re: Kite ideas
    PostPosted:Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm 

You know, I realized that I'm thinking too much in terms of Onlink here. I really want Kite to be something truly fresh and different, and from what I've seen, that's exactly what it'll be. Please, though, I really want to know when we can have this amazing game for ourselves, or even a demo! The answer doesn't have to be anytime soon, though, I think we're all willing to wait. :)
    Short version: Just use these ideas as concepts, please give us a completion percentage if possible, and move this to General. Oh, and please reply!