Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Possible future game?
    PostPosted:Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:38 pm 

AOL:superactor001
    Location:Everywhere and nowhere... But also right behind you and watching you in your sleep >.>
    Ok, so i've been thinking about starting to design a "stealth infiltration" type game, but with a larger emphasis on electronics (specifically, hacking). If anyone knows "street hacker"... Just think that with more GTA... and more uplink... and less street hacker... The game will have significantly less focus on actual hacking, or on actual missions, and will be pretty much a hackers GTA. What do you guys think?

attempting to input customized user information
    upload failure, connection loss
    system console session terminated

Post subject:Re: Possible future game?
    PostPosted:Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:12 am 

something like Watch Dogs ?

PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:51 am 

Location:Everywhere and nowhere... But also right behind you and watching you in your sleep >.>
    No. Not THAT computer centric (although thank you for showing me that. That looks really cool and I want to get it). It's basically taking GTA and tuning it to the typical computer geek... Adding whole new crime systems (hacking, sabotage, etc), agency employment, corruption... And all open source. I just think that the series started evlving in the right way and then limited itself too much into the typical "gangster" mentality game.
    Edit: On top of that, it would probabl be modular, so that certain crimes and stuff are automated, and others aren't (if you don't want to do a bunch of typing to hack, you don't have to). The hacking itself would be largely based around the original Uplink core (as i've barely been touching my dev cd), just to give you an idea of something a little closer to it. There will be a "skill" system, integration of your hacking crimes into the regular crime system, etc... And, real death. You can reload from a save, of course, but unless you bribe them enough, you could go to jail for the rest of your life, etc. I just think that GTA itself is too focused.

PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:22 pm 

Well it could be an interesting concept. Some questions though:
    do you really want to do it and would you enjoy playing it ? (just checking how much you love the concept).
    Would it be 2D or 3D ?
    Do you have an idea about the interactions between the player and the world, like how will the hacking actually plays (minigame maybe ?) ?
    Would you develop this alone or did you find a team yet ?

PostPosted:Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 pm 

Quote:
    Well it could be an interesting concept. Some questions though:
    do you really want to do it and would you enjoy playing it ? (just checking how much you love the concept).
    Would it be 2D or 3D ?
    Do you have an idea about the interactions between the player and the world, like how will the hacking actually plays (minigame maybe ?) ?
    Would you develop this alone or did you find a team yet ?
    Of course I want to do it. I really think this is a good idea, and I think it would be really fun.

As with 2D-3D, I want it to be 3D, but I literally have absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever with designing graphics, so it would likely have to be 2d.

The hacking, agency interractions, and stuff like that, all of the new modules, would likely be minigames, yes. I mean, it would likely be different to do a fully immersive experience for each type of crime if it weren't that way. Plus, it allows for a wider scale of crimes (For instance, ever think of cloning someones phone as a means to an end in GTA? You couldn't do it purely based off of the Uplink core, but I can extend the core with separate modules to do it quite simply. And if the crime itself is completely integrated, how would you easily disable certain aspects (eg hacking) without removing the code? Approaching it from a modular perspect really seems like the best way to go.

And as for a team... Well, I'll be honest, it's unlikely I'll be able to find a team willing to work with me, so I'm pretty much settling for doing it solo. It's what is best until I get a sufficient level of experience.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:34 am 

I had a similar idea once. Never got far with it though.

Maybe a tip: it could easily be 3D if you make the environment blueprint-like. It'd work for this kind of game and wouldn't be too hard to make.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am 

Quote:

Maybe a tip: it could easily be 3D if you make the environment blueprint-like. It'd work for this kind of game and wouldn't be too hard to make.
    That would probably be fairly easy to implement, but it wouldn't give much in the way of immersion. There is "doing something", and then there is "doing it right", and... Well, would you play Grand Theft Auto in a blueprint-like environment?

PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm 

Sure.

A game like you described probably wouldn't catch the attention of mainstream audiences, and then you're left with people who are willing to give games with unique concepts a go even if they look technically unimpressive.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 pm 
    Literally Nine

Quote:

This is more or less what we're already doing. More along the lines of if you do your recon homework, you have a floor map as the blueprint, with walls, doors, wtc sort of popping out of it if they're in your viewpoint.

My sort of take an a fog-of-war mechanic anyway.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm 

that seems like a fairly good way of doing things when it comes to immersion... but it seems like a bad idea to make the entire environment like that.

PostPosted:Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28 am 

I'm reminded a little of Introversion's now-cancelled game Subversion. Shame about its fate but seems somewhat like what you were suggesting unless I'm missing the mark.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm 

You're thinking too hacking-focused. Hacking is a small part of the entire game.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:30 pm 

for those of you who are curious, I have started development (although it stalled for a bit when I hit some financial problems).
    It is Open Source, and implements numerous other projects. It's going to be based off of a custom gaming core structure (I call it the OFFLINK core. Guess why?)
    Code:
    https://github.com/bi0shacker001/Criminality
    if you're interested. I'll be forking all the projects I use, for the sake of code stability.
    Project will move slowly. Not much experience, and working alone, but if you wish to help, feel free to commit or contact me. I'm bioshacker001 on pretty much... well, everything. facebook, twitter, gmail, diaspora (my pod is cryptospora), steam, skype, etc.
    EDIT: WARNING: currently does not build. presently at an incomplete shell code stage, some files are still stubs.