Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Rebalancing of DNS hacking missions
    PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 am 

I love the new missions in Onlink, but I've found that at the start of the game, the missions that involving hacking DNS servers are consistently harder than the vanilla Uplink missions of the same level. If I'm missing something important here, do let me know.

A typical DNS mission involves a firewall, proxy server, or both. I've got one mission here that I picked up at the start of the game with a Level 5 Firewall and Level 5 Sentry. Given that the mission contact says that "Security will be low" when asked about security, and that other missions of the same level are simple "copy/delete a file" on internal services machines, this means the DNS missions seem to be out of place in terms of difficulty.

Is there any chance the DNS missions can be left in, but the target machines made softer targets, or alternatively that the DNS missions are raised in difficulty and corresponding reward?

In any case, having the mission contact provide a more truthful report than "Security will be low" would be appreciated.

If I should be reporting this in Bugzilla or some other system, please let me know.

Post subject:Re: Rebalancing of DNS hacking missions
    PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:36 am 
    Literally Nine

I know of this, and have fixed it. All DNS missions are low level, and likewise, all DNS servers have been edited to reflect this.

You could still run it with a level 5 monitor, but the proxy isn't going to be past level 2.

That's not the only thing I'm rebalancing. I've had a number of people complaining about the EBS and Gateway systems, that they weren't expecting them (who ever expects a new system in real life?).

I'm splitting these too. There's going to be six tiers of deleteall/crash the system/steal their stuff/frame this guy missions.

The first: Business as usual.
    The second: Business as usual + LANs and EBS on ISMs (delete missions only. copy ones go to tier one).
    The third: Mainframes with Gateways.
    The fourth: LANs with a new system, which I will henceforth (until at least internal beta) reference as "The Cage."
    The fifth: any company using a "crutch"
    The sixth: any "listed" companies

I'm not going to tell you guys what they immediately mean, but suffice is to say that they go up in increasing difficulty. Right now, the maximum uplink level required for any non-special mission is 9. This is preposterous. I could label these up to 15 if I wanted. Maybe higher. Time to make missions that fit really high ranks.

I don't want people to think I hate them with all these new systems. I kind of feel that was the case with VSEC. So I have a few ways that make it so you're not going to run into a system that you need a 50k credit upgrade just to view at level 10 (which is, I think, when the crash-a-system thing starts coming into play).

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 am 

Quote:
    I know of this, and have fixed it. All DNS missions are low level, and likewise, all DNS servers have been edited to reflect this.

(snippage)

The first: Business as usual.
    The second: Business as usual + LANs and EBS on ISMs (delete missions only. copy ones go to tier one).
    The third: Mainframes with Gateways.
    The fourth: LANs with a new system, which I will henceforth (until at least internal beta) reference as "The Cage."
    The fifth: any company using a "crutch"
    The sixth: any "listed" companies
    You are awesome. Thank-you. ;) I'm really looking forward to the next release!

PostPosted:Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:26 am 

How do you fix the dns server? My laptop is having problems and the dns server is not responding. It happens all the time and I can't use the Internet. The Internet works for a few min then it does not respond.