Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Plugins
    PostPosted:Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 pm 

I had this mad idea I was just thinking off, It’s pretty basic in theorie I don’t know if this applies to actually execute it.

Onlink is a mod that is either going to raise the bas in Uplink or is just going to be the next Uplink, that means Onlink will never be totally finished (of course as long as there will be support for it).

I was thinking instead of releasing a new version every time, we or rather onlink (I like to talk “we”) releases a plugin, the concept is very much same as a patch, but instead of running an executabel it’s a pakkage that is added to the plugins folder, and than on next boot Onlink scans, and automatically loads the plugin.

And “if” Onlink is going to release a the new bar for Uplink maybe some third party support wouldn’t be so bad either.

What are your thoughts on this?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:39 pm 

a plugin is just an additive to a specific program eg. the msn messenger music plugin for windows media player which just adds the ability to view what your playing in your media player what your thinkin of is an auto updater right

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:17 pm 

No not enitrely I was more thinking of mods, that are automatically activated, if put in the right folder, lik the system Doom 3 uses, you have a Base folder, which is scanned before the game boots, ever .pk file in there will be loaded.

I was more thinking of the same thing for Onlink, a plugin system, actually being a addon system, you make a package and add the package to the "library" and it get's loaded.
    I it would keep the structure of Onlink intact, and it would be easier to disable mods.
    Without needing to really re-install your whole copy of the game al over again.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 am 
    External Project Staff

I like the plugin idea. We could have plugins for like every extra. One for the IRC client, one for the music player, webbrowser, msn messenger, etc. Maybe even stuff like extra OSs, macros.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 am 

What's the advantage? What's the difference between that and releasing new versions?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:17 am 

If one would release a mod, either it needed a new .exe, or it interferred with the main files of the game, therefor the original game could never be revived without re-installing the game, the plugin system actually bypasses that, delete a plugin, and the plugin will simply not be loaded :)

And you will not have interferred with any of the files of the original genieu installation of Onlink,

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:24 pm 
    Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
    AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
    Most systems with a plug-in engine are JUST an engine. Onlink/Uplink have all the application logic hard coded, which means that adding a plug-in engine is a lot of work and probably non-portable.

We have limited support, with things like creating your own interfaces and LANs, but beyond that there's not much chance of plug-ins. Sorry.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:31 pm 
    Literally Nine

Alastair's got it here.

And also the fact that not one person tried to do anything with LanLade when it was still in the game told me that few people, if any, would take initiative to do these more advanced things.

Considering it took weeks to draft LanLade, apart from the polish, it was an experiment that took a long time and ultimately failed in the intent. I don't wish to spend a month or two on a new engine to have no one use that as well.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 pm 

Its still possible to make "mods" for Onlink like Gateways, lans and the like, correct?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:18 pm 
    Literally Nine

Yes, and if anyone has the ambition, I might redo the enhanced themeing engine, should anyone get on the ball.