Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:jobs, companies, missions, jobs, LANs, secrecy, and request
    PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:19 pm 

JOBS

ok first of there only about 40 people in Onlink (or Uplink) and all of the them seem to be a combination of
    1) a manager
    2) CEO
    3) sys admin
    4) Uplink agent
    since you would not have your competitor's manager (who just so happens to be an Uplink agent) as your sys admin. consider adding to the grand total of people who are in the game at any given time, and something to keep out having people contradictory jobs.

Companies

this brings me to the next thing, companies should have a class that they belong. for example XX bank should have a bank, a DNS server, internal services machine and a LAN, and yy solutions should have central main frame, file server, Internal services system (more like Uplink's ISS) and DNS server. researchers -should have access terminals all over the place ( you getting the picture?)

Missions

it seems that money to buy the security systems bypasses becomes extremely scares, perhaps Higher ranked agents should by default ge more money for missions?

Jobs

maybe instead of more money for missions, we can apply for other jobs
    something similar to hoe the story line works? every so often you get a somewhat mundane mission from your other employer?

LANs
    shouldn't major companies have 60+ machine LANs? and why not personal LANs that belong to households (has two or three PCs on it, maybe a file server or Game Server) and it would be low security.

Secrecy

unofficial Uplink agents, or something ( maybe when you get caught and start hacking from you own computer?)

Request

Maybe we can just ask the owner of a system for logs pertaining to a particular time? would help for phone systems 'n' stuff

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:54 pm 

Your first two ideas make sense, but I don't see much I can add to them.

However, I do have some things to say about your comment that an agent should receive rewards that are proportional to their rank. I am against this, infact, I should think that a player should be rewarded more for completing certain missions at lower ranks than is normal. What I'm saying is that if you have to be rank 4-5 to accept a mission, then rank 4 player should be rewarded slightly more than the rank 5 player for successful completion of the mission. Imagine a TERMINAL (I believe the highest rank in the game, but my memory is bad these days) ranked agent completing the delete a file mission. Obviously for such a skilled player such a mission is trivial, and thus the reward should go down as rank increases.

This does not mean that I am against rewarding players for achieving higher ranks. To my knowledge, the current ranking system is little more than for show than for anything else. One possible alternative to the idea of increasing the cash reward for higher ranked agents is to implement a simple "milestone" system.

This system would work as follows :

- when a player reaches a certain rank he is sent an email by uplink corp
    - this email rewards the player for achieving the rank, possible rewards
    could be :
    o - new hardware, software, combination of both
    o - monetary reward, necromancer change (I'll explain this later)
    o - secret hardware (only accessible for achieving a specific
    milestone, not available anywhere else in the game)
    o - etc, etc.

These milestones would be hardcoded into the game. Since I forget how many ranks there are in uplink, let me just assume there are 20 ranks in all.

Milestones would be achievable at the certain ranks :

Rank 20 (lowest) -> Rank 19 (player completed the tutorial)
    Rank 11 -> Rank 10 (player has shown decent level of skill)
    Rank 6 -> Rank 5 (player has shown increasing skill)
    Rank 2 -> Rank 1 (player has maxed out rank)

This system is flexible, allowing for many types of awards to be given. To explain the necromancer change, uplink would simply ask the player

"Congratulations Agent <name>, for achieving the rank of <rank>.
    We have been monitoring your progress for some time, and the higher
    council presiding at Uplink have decided to reward you for your
    perseverance and hard work.

In light of this, we present you with the following choice. We are aware
    of your current necromancer rating, but are you aware that we
    have the ability to "adjust" your rating either up or down at your
    discretion.

Simply reply to this email with this in the body with, "Up" or "Down".

Once again congratulations for your achievement!

I'll continue my comments in another post later.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:34 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
    AOL:FinalWarrior591
    Just one triviality I have with your post, Triking!

It's Neuromancer, not Necromancer. The former refers to a cyberpunk novel (amongst other things, I'd imagine). The latter is a mage or other magic user who dilly-dallies with the dead (and the dead resurrected, truly and otherwise).

Oh, I also disagree with your payment idea for high-ranking players; why would a company pay a hacker less money if that hacker were more skilled? Personally, I think the current payment scheme (wherein a higher-ranking player gets paid more than a low-ranked player by asking for more money) makes more logical sense and is perfectly fine.

-- Griffinhart

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:56 pm 

Haha sorry about that. I can't spell too well and I use firefox to spell check. I guess when I saw necromancer I just assumed it was neuromancer.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:16 pm 

ok since the job/rank thing isn't such a good idea what about the second entry under jobs, (this way there always an easy mission avalible to the agent incase he is in a bind for money, and maybe lots of completed missions for your company means a raise in there stock value )