Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:your own LAN?
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:32 pm 

you all know that there is LANs an some servers but recently i thought couldn't you have your own LAN?
    now the more i think about this the more tricky it would be to implement.
    first of all if this was to increase tracing time it would mean a multi-ip'ed LAN (how confusing!)
    and maybe someway of detracting them in your LAN in real-time.
    so at first you would start out with a REALLY basic LAN (simply your gateway and maybe file server and modem)then as you saved up money you could buy extra components like nodes password protected things and transmitters but heres the cool bit you could tell the workers how to set up your LAN.
    you would have a simple screen with your pieces on the side and you could assemble your LAN and press send then they would do the rest, here is an example that i made
    i know it's crappy but i like it.
    so now the trickier bits ok first someone is tracing you then they bump into your hired LAN ip for your modem and from here you get it they have to trace through your LAN and it may stop them to come back latter with support or it will slow them down a bit.
    so when they are going through the LAN you will be alerted and you can log on to your LAN and then launch distractions to other nodes and stuff like that and the other scenario is you can get hacked in the game but only latter in the game when you have played it for quite awhile. so then you could be that administrator that you are paranoid about when hacking LAN systems, so once again you could launch distractions and well, i just ran out of ideas!!!!! this is about all i could think of.
    so now that i have wasted 1 hour of my my life, please read it all and come up with improvements ans ideas and discuss how to implement it in onlink.

(and i won't be disappointed if you don't like the idea, it's a bit of a far fetched idea)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:57 am 

oh... ok
    *hour of life now officially wasted*

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:28 am 
    Literally Nine

Quote:
    oh... ok
    *hour of life now officially wasted*
    Forgive me, I will properly review your post in the morning. I was distracted at the time by prophile's incessant spamming! Sorry if I seemed inattentive!

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:15 am 

oh thanks! and what the hell is happening in the onlink 0.1.1 beta 3 thread??

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:54 am 
    Literally Nine

How do you mean?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:17 am 

nevermind just read it

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:08 pm 
    Literally Nine

OK, just looked over your idea more carefully.

I think your idea has some merit, but I wonder what the benefit would be of having one's own LAN? It's certainly a fun prospect, having the potential for things like distributed computing, etc, but what ideas did you specifically have about it as far as pros and cons?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:17 pm 

well it would add another thing in the game: you would be able to get hacked by someone maybe later in the storyline with the virus and stuff.
    so if people tryed to hack you you would ahve the stress of the admin trying to kick them of the LAN

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:23 pm 

i still want to know how auxiliary gateways work. does it become my main gateway if i nuke mine?

Does it come will the same hardware as my main? etc.

and wireless router? how does that work? i'm not gonna get near busted to try out. just started my onlink game.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
    AOL:FinalWarrior591
    Quote:
    i still want to know how auxiliary gateways work. does it become my main gateway if i nuke mine?

Does it come will the same hardware as my main? etc.

and wireless router? how does that work? i'm not gonna get near busted to try out. just started my onlink game.
    If you'd read the disclaimer that displays before purchasing an auxiliary gateway, you'd know that no, it does not act as a "backup gateway" in case your current one is destroyed or seized, as they do not accept connections from any systems other than your gateway. As the features list notes, auxiliary gateways only serve as fileservers (currently).

When you purchase an auxiliary gateway, it will be mostly-fully upgraded (I purchased the fileserver gateway; it came with 256gqs of memory space, but only a set of 100GHz processors instead of 200GHz). So no, it does not come with the same hardware as your main.

The wireless router is seized if you're sloppy enough to get traced, I believe. I recall fouling up a string of bankhacks, big-time (apparently, waiting a week after all the hacks wasn't enough, and I got "caught" after a routine theft hack because I was a tad lazy with my log deleting). I got several emails about federal agents seizing something or another (I can't recall; this was in a previous build) and I noticed that most of my accounts, save for my Uplink bank account, had lost money (equal to how much had been stolen). However, my actual gateway was not seized.

-- Griffinhart

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:38 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:graymatter_uk
    AOL:tuggr4y
    http://www.modlink.net/files/mods/other/ULC6.2.5.exe

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:31 pm 
    Literally Nine

It's not immortal like the one in the ULC thing is, however. Screw up bad enough and they'll come looking for your gateway, too.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:15 am 

Yahoo Messenger:graymatter_uk
    AOL:tuggr4y
    problem is the Lan you made is flawed.
    you have only one moniter PC to unlock the locks on your links.
    and it's wedged between 2 links.

only way to get though would be a Brute force attack to break the lock but would it Unlock all the locks or just a few?

Problem with Lan networks is you can't have it so no one can get in, cos it would be useless with internet acsess cos no signal would get in or out.

however first off to get Transmission you would need to scan the Khz signal this would happen after breakin though the first lock so being quick. though to the node on the right breaking another lock. after that you disconect and try a second attempted now the admin has left.

however the amount of junk you have put in around the bottom i got no clue what it is.
    ^___^

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm 

to tell you the truth i have no idea what it is to......
    (i just made it so you could get an idea of what i mean)