Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:IP Addresses
    PostPosted:Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:43 pm 

Someone may have already suggested this, but I think that the game would be just a bit more realistic if:

1) Your gateway's IP address is never 127.0.0.1, as localhost isn't (or shouldn't be) the address of your Gateway.
    2) Servers only have valid IP addresses, not private IPs (such as 10.*), or bogon IPs - at least not class-A networks of bogons.

I have noticed that in Onlink, IP addresses are now 0-255, not that 0-999 nonsense that Uplink used.

An interesting thought on the issue of bogons: in future editions of Onlink - the ones where you have infinite free time to put in awesome features like multiplayer and 3D :roll: - the game could query a server for the current list of bogons at the time of user creation and set the IP addresses according to that list. :)

EDIT: Also, about point 1 above, when you have just registered, you see 'user [localhost]' connecting to 'Gateway [127.0.0.1]'. Obviously, this is kind of messed up, since 'user' and 'Gateway' cannot be the same computer! :)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:42 pm 

Also, when connecting to the Uplink public access server, it says the ip of the server is 254.something, when it dials 128.something... (it doesn't really matter, as long as the ip shown on screen is changed to the 128.something ip which is dialed... or something like that :P ).

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:57 am 

I disagree, because if I connect to a router using a terminal, I work logically on that machine, which is my gateway. So my gateway is that host named localhost. Each kind of computer, which has a TCP/IP stack have a localhost (Posix-Standard?). I think what it named that thing better is the default route, that connection, which points packets not destinated to any host my local network. So that 127.0.0.1 should be ok, in my opinion.

Regards

Petition unterzeichen

Please forgive me my poor english, I'm learning it everyday more and more.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:59 am 

Localhost SHOULD NOT be 127.0.0.1, It is a gateway and you login from your home computer and even if you are physically at the gateway, the logs should show a random IP

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:50 am 

OK, so I was confused about the 127.0.0.1 thing - I guess it is localhost to the Gateway. Still, the Gateway saying that it is connected to itself is just a little odd. It's not as though it's connected to a locally running Web server, as it would be if you connected to localhost on your own computer, however.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:02 pm 

Yes the gateway should connect to itself, it is how it has always worked. But you are in the game seeing the screen on your desktop or laptop. You run the Client (at home) and you execute everything at the gateway (at the Uplink offices) so the OS should show you are connected to the gateway (random IP) and the gateway would see you computer at (random IP) you home computer would see itself as 127.0.0.1 and the gateway would see itself as 127.0.0.1, but in the connection analyzer it shows 127.0.0.1 connected to (Server IP) but what it should show is (Home computer IP) to 127.0.0.1 (gateway) to <random> (server)

When at the beginning of the game it should show USER as 127.0.0.1 to Uplink (server IP)

In the windows HOSTS folder it auto assigns LOCAL HOST as 127.0.0.1, so on a web browser typing in 127.0.0.1 or Local host would connect to your home computer.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:41 pm 

I think we need to focus on getting features, not some bogus about IP-adresses.

Ever occured that hacking is not point-and-click?
    Uplink is not an Realistic game and IP adresses how much they may not be viable by today standards is the very least I give a damn about :P

I mean yes I thought it funny to, but not on a level I think should be changed.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:44 pm 

Well, at the very least, make it so the Gateway actually has an external IP so that server logs don't show a connection from '127.0.0.1' which actually makes absolutely no sense, as it is coming from me, not themselves.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:10 pm 

I would have thought that by the time that the Onlink universe existed we'd be using IPv6 as the primary communications protocol for the internet. Most computers and network hardware have support for IPv6 already, and some websites are available via IPv6. However, in the Onlink universe at current I think the original idea was that "we changed the max from 255 to 999 for more addresses", which is completely stupid when you think of it (one octet = one byte, 11111111 = 255). As IPv6 addresses are cumbersome (128 bits versus IPv4's 32 bits) and more complexly structured (see IPv6 Addressing on Wikipedia), it may be a bad idea to include them.

I propose that we stick to realism and just drop back to standard IPv4 addressing, and cut out reserved addresses (see IPv4 Address Allocation on Wikipedia).

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:27 pm 
    External Project Staff

I think we should keep the IPs as they are in Uplink, for 'Historical' reasons. The hacking in the game isn't realistic, so why should anything else be. If you want to have it like irl, start hacking irl ;)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 am 
    Sagely Amphibian

IV simply wanted to remove any risk that a _real_ IP be used in the game.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:23 pm 
    Literally Nine

Quote:
    IV simply wanted to remove any risk that a _real_ IP be used in the game.
    Even if http://www.internic.net resolves to 208.77.188.101...

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 pm 

Nobody cares what your IP is or if it's accidentally used in a game.

Let me choose a random IP address... '213.248.35.129'. Oh look, it has a whois entry. Who cares? Again... 82.17.59.3, and that's some sort of ISP backbone from the looks of it. Again, so what? It doesn't matter if an IP is used in the game.