Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:TRUST RANKING POINTS & Reward items.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:graymatter_uk
AOL:tuggr4y
Basicly Cos it's to easy to hack banks n get creds to buy all your programs & equipment I say we should make it harder.

Introducing a Trust Ranking Point system, (TRP)
This will give you reputation with corps, some of whom might have better equipment and processors.
TRP will be explained in my next post, but basicly it will be a Point system that when you gain enough Points will get a Corporation badge with the Corp you want to gain "Trusted" with.

When you become Trusted you will get a badge from that Corp and accsess to their Shop server. you will need the Badge for the shop to buy anything.

Examples of Reward items
Here are some Ideas for programs you can attain from the different corps.

Copy V2:
Copies file directly to your drive automatically

Smart Log eraser V1>5:
Runs in background and removes any logs with your entry IP number, (servers may have security to prevent this and it will go up in Levels with lv6 not allowing you to use this item.
File scan: Find the file on a server by entering it in to the search box, this will highlight the file needed. (run more then one to fine multiple files

File Scan copy: Works with File scan and automatically copies the file upon entering the file screen (Requires File copy V1 or V2 & File scan)

File Scan Delete:
Automatically deletes files if entered in to "file scan utility (requires File Deleter v1 & file scan)

File scan email:
Emails file automatically on hitting reply button to missions.

New hardware: all types of hardware some at discounted prices from uplink.

Viruses & anti-Viruses:
loads of nasty attacks and defences to attack and defend corps.

New gateways: Providing your not using gateway mods to exploit the game, you can buy Corporation gateways that may be better for you then others.

New OS: yeh i do think that new OSes should be attained by reputation with corporations ^__^. give you something to unlock instead of just buy after robbing a bank.

Personally I think that reputation will put more playability in to Onlink/uplink, cos then to get some programs/Hardware/gateways it won't be a case of just robbing a Bank for 70Mil creds. it will be a case of getting reputation working hard, doing many hacks for a Corporation and not getting caught hacking their systems.

Last edited by tuggray on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 pm 

The "Trust Ranking Points" system

or TRP for short, well in any case this is how i see the system working.
Some of the main story Corporations will have Company shop servers, these servers are password protected but the products available if you crack in are unobtainable without the Badge from your "Trusted" company.
this will Allow us to put more playability in to game preventing you from progressing to harder hacks quicker by just robbing a bank and gaining all the Credits you need once you are able to hack banks.

Each Company will have it's own badge if it's part of the TRP system this will be much like neuromancer ranking.
Your ranking will be "none" if you haven't attuned with the corporations your doing missions for. To Start your TRP with any Corp in the list, you need to have done their Entry missions.

Entry missions will state it will be a TRP mission in the Email. if you complete the Mission you will attain Trust rank with that corporation and all other TRP quests with other Corporations will be blanked out until you gain 100 TRP & the badge.

when you enable TRP with the corp they will give you a System server IP to gain accsess to thier own Mission/shop/news server (much like the main Uplink system server).

To be able to buy things form thier system upgrades area you need your Trusted Badge with that Corp.
Once you get the badge your TRP is reset to "None" and you may gain TRP with other Corps providing you don't get caught hacking Corps you have gained "Trusted" with.

If you are caught hacking "Trusted" servers You will lose your badge, (instead of end the game ^__^)
getting caught hacking in to trusted corporations you will be marked as "Untrustworthy" and your badge will be removed aswell as all your Special programs that you bought from that corp (hardware will not be effected nore will gateways & securty)

If you are marked as Untrustworthy you will no longer be able to get TRP with that Corp.

Last edited by tuggray on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:24 pm 

TRP Missions

To gain TRP you must have access to the corporations Main system server. Basically this is like the main uplink server with a news page shop & mission page, however all missions will be split in to 3 types, Normal, Hard & black Ice.

Missions will reward TRP as follows
Normal = 0/5 TRP (you must compleat 5 to gain a TRP)
Hard = 1 TRP
Black Ice = 5 TRP

mission types

Normal missions: these are almost the same as what you would get on the uplink servers, data editing & traffic, bank theft etc.

Hard missions:
will be Lan type missions to gain access to a servers main hub and extract data or destroy data / crash system.

Black Ice missions:
these will involve string hacks on Lan systems. You will need to gain information on the lan system to probe deep and gain access to other servers. (possible involve new custom missions)

Black ice missions will be very dense and hard to complete quickly.

example of a Black ice mission would be to Access a AI system on a Lan network then install a virus. virus will upload over time but you need to be a stealthy as possible for this to work. To gain time you can forge a Password on the system, this will allow you to access the network with a Genuine password & avoid detection for a longer period of time then hacking a password would. The password you forge will be detected as bogus after a few mins but it will be far more effective then Cracking.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:00 am 

Nice. haven't read it all, though, but i like the idea.. it can be mixed with this idea i had,
http://www.onlink-mod.net/modules/forum ... .php?t=817

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:05 am 

Although i like the idea for what it tries to do, it just doesn't fit in the Onlink universe. If i can crack the security of a bank(You said it would only get harder), why can't i crack some badge-security? Any security that is uncrackable shouldn't be in Onlink. Your supposed to get the feeling that your the best hacker in the world and not being able to crack some badge-security would ruin that IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:13 pm 

Well basically Ideas are flexible,
By Unshakable i mean you can't Buy anything without the Trust badge.

Also the issue i see is if your "the best of the best" at start of game, there will be nothing much else to do once you get all your equipment and programs.

what this system does is make some programs harder to get then just hacking a bank.

what it also does is add a little more fun in t o the game.

you just want Easy mode?
I would like to see a hack that can't be completed without a program only attained by harder hacks.

the thing i am Aiming for is more play time. trust me, just been able to hack everything gets boring after a while and if there is more content in the form of blocks n gates it adds to the amount of time you play hence giving you more playtime and more enjoyment of the game.

repeating the game for no reward becomes meaningless.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:53 am 

Again, i like what it DOES. Just not HOW it does it. If you give me a better reason why i can't get certain pieces of software i want then sone uncrackable badge-security it be good. Maybe have really big missions or multiple linked missions i wich you find, track and steal software.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:22 am 

AOL:DKWiz214
I agree. While the trust system would make the game more interesting, it just doesn't really fit. The game rewards you for hacking a bank, so now you want it to reward you for not hacking one too? I like the idea of stealing software and hardware, I think that would be awesome.

Although, if this idea does get approved, here's an alternative idea for how you can get software. You could have to do it indirectly, by sending certain kinds of emails to the company, which makes them put the requested software on a file server for you to download. But if you don't have enough trust they won't respond or something. I don't know, I thought it would keep with the whole hacker feel if you do it indirectly rather than connecting to a server and going to a shop, but I still don't think that it should encourage and discourage you from hacking a bank at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:19 pm 
Sagely Amphibian

This make me think of Freelancer system,
Quote:
Factions and reputation

As one progresses, he or she will meet other characters, each of whom belong to one faction or another. There are dozens of factions; the police and naval forces on one side, the pirate factions such as the Outcasts and the Corsairs on the other, and many commercial entities such as Bretonia Mining and Metals and the Gas Miner's Guild in-between.

How these factions treat a player depends on the player's reputation with them, influenced by actions against them. They may be friendly, neutral or hostile based on a sliding scale. Neutral factions may scan a player's ship and order him or her to give up cargo or fight for it. Hostile factions won't bother scanning or warning - they'll attack on sight. Friendly factions will leave the player alone and (if the player's reputation is good enough) may help out in a fight. Players can't land on hostile bases/planets and may not be able to buy certain high-powered weapons unless their reputation with the seller is good enough.

Reputation with any faction changes every time a player interacts with another character. If a player destroys a Corsair fighter, for instance, his or her reputation with the Corsairs will suffer accordingly. Attack their enemies and it will improve again.

Factions are interlinked and have allies and enemies. Destroying an Outcast ship affects a player's reputation with the Outcasts, of course, but also makes enemies of the Outcast allies, the Liberty Rogues. At the same time the player's reputation with the Liberty Police will improve.

Reputation hacking is something that a player can often do in bars on planets and stations. For a fee (a bribe, really), a player can have his or her reputation with one faction or another significantly improved; this usually incurs a reduction in reputation with enemy factions.
EDIT: I would say that this system work pretty well, the only problem is that the bad guys sell the best stuff and it's really hard to get friendly with them ;)

As a side note. Freelancer is for me one of the best game made in the space trading fighting genre.

Last edited by frenchfrog on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:20 pm 

Freelancers Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:12 pm 

Quote:
Again, i like what it DOES. Just not HOW it does it. If you give me a better reason why i can't get certain pieces of software i want then some uncrackable badge-security it be good. Maybe have really big missions or multiple linked missions i wish you find, track and steal software.
OK here is a work around, To use the software you need the Installer, this can be downloaded from the software page but takes 1 hour 40 minutes [100 minutes] to download.

now the server will be a standard high security type. with cypher N voice ID to access admin password.

Well every TRP you get with that corp deducts a minute of your download time.
and when you get to 100 TRP you don't need to download it anyway cos you get it as a reward.

TRP downloads 1% of the install file for that Corp.

I think for story sake thats a better work around.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:23 pm 

Quote:
I agree. While the trust system would make the game more interesting, it just doesn't really fit. The game rewards you for hacking a bank, so now you want it to reward you for not hacking one too? I like the idea of stealing software and hardware, I think that would be awesome.

Although, if this idea does get approved, here's an alternative idea for how you can get software. You could have to do it indirectly, by sending certain kinds of emails to the company, which makes them put the requested software on a file server for you to download. But if you don't have enough trust they won't respond or something. I don't know, I thought it would keep with the whole hacker feel if you do it indirectly rather than connecting to a server and going to a shop, but I still don't think that it should encourage and discourage you from hacking a bank at the same time.
By hacking a bank, sure your rewarded, but it's hardly hard work. it's Easy money.
Stealing Hardware n software is also hard enough.

The Idea is about putting game play in to the game, you guys kinda miss the point.

I don't see Stealing as rewarding getting a top spec gateway with all the high end programs so i can hack anything i like.

hell lets just remove the Corporate shops etc, and just have the rank system with a badge reward.

When you attain your top end equipment, I'm sure you never get board of doing the same hacks.

I hate to sound kinda like a bastard for saying this, it sounds like you guys don't like hard work and would like to attain some freebies.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:25 pm 

Quote:
This make me think of Freelancer system,
Quote:
Factions and reputation

As one progresses, he or she will meet other characters, each of whom belong to one faction or another. There are dozens of factions; the police and naval forces on one side, the pirate factions such as the Outcasts and the Corsairs on the other, and many commercial entities such as Bretonia Mining and Metals and the Gas Miner's Guild in-between.

How these factions treat a player depends on the player's reputation with them, influenced by actions against them. They may be friendly, neutral or hostile based on a sliding scale. Neutral factions may scan a player's ship and order him or her to give up cargo or fight for it. Hostile factions won't bother scanning or warning - they'll attack on sight. Friendly factions will leave the player alone and (if the player's reputation is good enough) may help out in a fight. Players can't land on hostile bases/planets and may not be able to buy certain high-powered weapons unless their reputation with the seller is good enough.

Reputation with any faction changes every time a player interacts with another character. If a player destroys a Corsair fighter, for instance, his or her reputation with the Corsairs will suffer accordingly. Attack their enemies and it will improve again.

Factions are interlinked and have allies and enemies. Destroying an Outcast ship affects a player's reputation with the Outcasts, of course, but also makes enemies of the Outcast allies, the Liberty Rogues. At the same time the player's reputation with the Liberty Police will improve.

Reputation hacking is something that a player can often do in bars on planets and stations. For a fee (a bribe, really), a player can have his or her reputation with one faction or another significantly improved; this usually incurs a reduction in reputation with enemy factions.
EDIT: I would say that this system work pretty well, the only problem is that the bad guys sell the best stuff and it's really hard to get friendly with them ;)

As a side note. Freelancer is for me one of the best game made in the space trading fighting genre.
I never played Freelancer, least not the full game.(demo)
It sounds a bit like EvE online tbh.

I prefer Wing commander myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:08 am 

1) Don't mess with freelancer 8)

2) I don't like your workaround. I makes no sence at all. They are limiting my bandwidth because of my trust level? What does trust have to do with bandwidth? Trust has to do with access and security clearance, etc.

3) We DO get what your saying and DO want the game to be harder and less boring at the end, just not in the way you want to do it. I just don't really see how an anonymous hacker who is known only by his handle/nickname can build trust with a legit company and then get to buy there stuff. How can they trust him if they don't even know his name? Hackers by nature can't be trusted, since they are illegal so can do whatever they want until they get caught, quit or die.
Another good question you could ask yourself is this: How can they be sure that the hacker is who he says he is? The only thing i can think of is ACTIONS. If they ask you to do a hard job for them and you complete it, then they know you are the one they've been looking for. I think however that a trust system shouldn't be implemented. Rather have these "black ops" missions for companies be more and more rewarding the farther along you get.(Like a storyline) Everytime you complete a mission for a company, the next mission will be sent to you after the requirements are met.(Like level of the player, time past, neuromancer level of the player, etc.) Rewards for missions can range from 1000cr or an 8Gq memorystick till a gateway that won't be available for another 6 months or a server with admin access just for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:09 pm 

1) ROFL

2>3) your just one argumentitive son of a gun ain't yah. stop flaming my thread.