Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:New GUI
    PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:29 am 

I made some concept about a new GUI for onlink.
    Its only about the layout not the graphic. :)

http://www.si-in.org/onlink-gui1.jpg

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:54 am 
    Literally Nine

Impressive. Difficult. Doing!

This is what LanLade Core 2 was going to be meant for, but I didn't think I'd have anyone willing to help make it so.

Core 2 dev starts now ;)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:56 am 
    External Project Staff

wow, that's cool, but only too much graphics :wink:

This is my 100th message in the forum :D :P :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:36 am 

I wanted it to look like a real OS.
    I know its difficult to make ...its only how i would like to look :)

you can still make your own theme i thought only about the layout and the logic. So you can still make a outlined black/blue version.

The original theme is too dark, i think.

Btw. i didnt show, that above the "hud" buttons should be some sort of task bar like in windows or linux.

happy 100th post :P

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:55 pm 

Awesome, that looks really good. I like it a lot. And while I already have my work cut out for me making gateways, I'm going to start working on a layout myself if I have some time. Not sure what the restrictions are on it. I won't add any new features, just re-arrange them with a new look or something of that sort.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:58 pm 

Very nice work! The HUD buttons I'm not too sure, about however, but it should be okay if you can make an email folder (I'm not sure whether or not that will be in the final release). If not, maybe a similar popup menu would work.

|Onlink| |HUD|

Aside from that, loving it! :)

Father

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm 

This one is little too Mac-OS for me, and I kinda have mixed feelings for a new style.

The origional:
    Pros:
    Simple, Clean, Did i mention simple? Reminds me of DOS with a GUI. Hahaha.

Cons:
    Lacks organization, a bit dark (but makes it kinda hackerish, dont you think?) also the 'graphic' part of programs is the same on half the programs (log deleter, file copier, file deleter, defragger) i know it saves space, but i get confused :cry:

The concept GUI:
    Pros:
    Looks sleek, more organized, minimizing programs owns.. and.. uhh.. the emails won't spill off if they dont come in sideways like they do (im aware of the other post about this too)

Cons:
    Does not have the hacker feel, have you ever seen a console with that kind of cheery color, or any-kind-of-hat distro with shaded buttons/menus? Not that I have anything against it, just that the origional uplink has the hacker feel.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:44 pm 

hmm i think its mor about usability, than the dark "Oldschool" style. I f i play a game i want to do it for a long time and thats where i get problems with that dark skins.
    THere are many hacking os's in movies that use more bright gui's like "the net". I agree, that the dark ones always look mystic, but think about a game, thats looks like a normal os for everyday use. It gives you the feeling of leting it actualy happen. :)

I know you cant make the right gui fro all users, but you can try to improve it.
    also i think if IV would make the game today different, than 4 years ago.

Iam working on it constantly and try to give it a more technical look but i want to keep its "manufactured-design" style.
    In 2010 we wont have that lowtech gui anymore but a new kind of hi tech self made design. (you can see this today at case modding)

The screen is only a test baloon since it isnt possible to realize it ( as of the lack of a window manager, a mail manager and a connection list).
    if you are interested in that blue bright style try my standart uplink skin (without windows,sidebar and taskbar here: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=35471

But since iam now helping miah with onlink i dont have the possebility to update it. (no uplink will not look like this its only one of many concepts i made the past days)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:29 am 

I'd like to say, I'm not a 'hacker' by the internet definition. I've cracked more than my fair share of apps, wifi's, and even hardware. I guess I could be a hacker by the technical definition, that is a firm understanding of computers.

Now then, we all know what im going to say about:
    Quote:
    THere are many hacking os's in movies that use more bright gui's
    Movies... almost always different than reality. They make the nice swirly 3D icons, Swordfish had that nice rubik's cube-ish 3D thing that had to peice togther to activate or deactivate a virus or something.. all nice, but I found that I prefer simplicity also I dont ever want to crack/hack anythng with the click of one button (brute force) unless i had to code it myself.
    Quote:
    In 2010 we wont have that lowtech gui anymore but a new kind of hi tech self made design. (you can see this today at case modding)
    2010? As in 4 years? The GUI as we know it is being taken over by MAC and will look futuristic (unfortuinate in my opinion). As for my case, it's silver and blue. It's not even shiny silver, just matte and navy blue. Very simple, yet stylish.

[/rant]

Really though everyone has his/her own opinion, mine probably differs from most of yours.(judging by the posts here) Guess im just old-school, but I'm not saying we regress to DOS or anything, just trying to say i like the simplistic stylish approach, windows XP alright, a little shiny though, (if you've seen the royal theme, it's like my perfect GUI)

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 am 
    External Project Staff

the only thing i know is that most hackers rely on speed and quality above nice looking graphics. something like windows XP, uses too much recources of the computer, so you don't have much left for other things (the high-demanding programs, like a brute-force pass cracker). and windows 98 will crash allmost every 30min (when running lots of programs).

Last edited by ChaosR on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:22 pm 

ok i use the default windows 95 style too.
    hmm the newer versions are darker and more glossy.

speed is only a problem with 3d accelerated guis

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:25 pm 

Make sure we can switch from the original uplink look and this one.
    I like it but there might be some ppl that don't.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:29 pm 

If this were to be implemented, I would like a choice, so I could switch between the two.
    Personally, I would stick with the old Uplink style.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:31 am 
    External Project Staff

I will use the original Uplink style. Maybe some small improvements, but dark-blue (dark and blue) just brings the feeling of hacking. The lighter styles don't. Do you guys think a theme project will be usefull. Just to solve some parts of the uplink theme (new ico's, just better blue colors etc.)