Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Sorry sorry sorry
PostPosted:Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:04 am 

I know its been said a million times...
However... im still thinking about multiplayer.

Now, I don't want onlink to go buy a 50u server and give us all space on it for our boxes, etc. (50u is the size of a server)

I was thinking of adding a simple (haha...) networking multiplayer..

The Idea:

Take the game and allow 2 or more people to play at the same time.. give the first person 127.0.0.1 the second to join 127.0.0.2. Let the game stay the same, but use email as chat. Then if the players want to play single player, let em. When they rejoin multiplayer the games will update (since the only difference should be the two human players)

If this still isnt feasable please don't flame. I am a programmer and a technician, I know how hard something like this could be, but I was trying for a simple solution for multiplayer....

Please leave any positive input/feedback (even if it is why this is infeasable). Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:06 am 
External Project Staff

as far as i know, miah is allready working on a multiplayer. but the multiplayer will be passive, not active.

this means that it will not be possible to play together in the same game, only something like an highscore list, and ingame downloadable mods

and if you wanna chat, use irc

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:27 pm 

how can a multiplayer be? two persons on one job? online players pc's on the map?

Post subject:Multiplayer
PostPosted:Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:36 pm 

Well I was thinking it could just be lan(or IP based), like a server/client.. except instead of one person having the data and streaming to the other, they share agent data (their own agent) and the story line stays seperate... but it should allow for hacking of eachother, as if they were just another box on the net.

This way there is no need to re-code the whole game or a huge server to run it off of. Though this wouldn't be the best solution to multiplayer, it seems the most practical to me. Only problem being is that even this solution requires a ton of new code (just to implement the packets and connection status)...

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 am 

i think the game must do a constant reorgenizing of the server structure. As of now it only makes the structures (ip adresses and server names) at the start of a new game).

Also the game needs some protocol to synronize with the other clients and a server software to run on a central server.
Thats all not too hard but miah seems to be very busy with the existing bugs and new features.

I can think of a irc connection with some kind of encryption on it to prevent "hacking" other boxes with only a irc client. That also leaves room to make a wider use of multiplayer features in the future and ther is no need of new server code. But a problem is , that you can tweak your offline stored agent and use it in multiplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:59 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
But a problem is , that you can tweak your offline stored agent and use it in multiplayer.
Not when I use mCypher. And hashers.

I should add that for the next build, h0h0h0.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:13 am 

Well VITAS, you make a good point about the game being a bit too static to have a realistic multiplayer. It just seemed like people wanted the challange of hacking eachother and that was the easiest way to do it.

I agree Miah does seem very busy, and I'd offer to help make a simple multiplayer, but I dont have a dev CD and I'm a bit busy lately (work and school)
Quote:
a problem is , that you can tweak your offline stored agent and use it in multiplayer
Another good point.. but if you think about it even if someone is not connected to the net they can buy new parts/make money without you hacking them... unless you meant tweaking by altering the actual save file... but Miah already posted that solution haha =)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:46 pm 

The point is, Onlink isn't going mutliplayer.

Onlink will however have some cross-user interactivity, such as a high scores board, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:06 pm 

i can train my char with encryptet files too by editing his stats in the RAM while the game runs :>

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:29 pm 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
You won't be able to soon *grin*

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:20 pm 

If you know what the following means:
mov
add
sub
eax
rol
jmp
jne
jge
jnz
... and about 100 more....
Then it wont matter if the memory stored on the comp or in the ram is encrypted. It's just as good as the Dev CD.
So that isn't the issue. (plus, after they add the real-time CRC checks and make sure we can't change anything in ram with sanity checks... you can still packet and then as a last resort emulate the gameplay)

Point being? Is it supposed to be un-hackable or can the users have a friendly un-hacked game? XD... i'd say can't have either unless in ideal conditions.

Also if I missed anything above please let me know.. I think that rules out everything... emulation is near impossible to detect.

Well im off to school, kbye

(Edit: This almost counts as spam in my book, its so far off topic.)

No multiplayer huh.... Darn. Oh well... anyone wanna sell me the dev CD... I dont have 50 bucks (USD) to spend on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:28 pm 

you cant make anything perfect but keep trying makes the world go round and the life usefull :)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:16 pm 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
We can "discourage" cheating :)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:10 am 
Literally Nine

mCypher has been through some cryptologists. It's easy to break your user file forever doing the smallest mishap if you don't leave it alone.

Promising to make a life full of misery and woe!

It's hardly unbreakable. You could always break Onlink before it encrypts. But, that's not something you can easily make a hacktool out of ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:21 am 

I think since we make a mod for a hacker prog the person who cracks the encryption (or finds a workaround) is doing in a sort of way what the game was ment for :)

ok if you do that your not a hacker more like a cracker.

btw miah: as of now its harder to cheat as in uplink. The prog always sets my money back to the default value. But ive got a workaround, by injecting it permantly :)