Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Mainframes, Servers and "Fronts" (IDEA)
    PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:44 am 

Hey I was just thinking and I was wondering what you guys think of this idea.

What about if you could rent or buy a server (much like a backup gateway yet not owned by Uplink but by another company) that way you could keep secure information on it and keep it hidden from the hacker community so only you have the IP which you could encrypt to keep it hidden .ect so if your gateway was passive traced you could hide the software, file or information on this server and then the passive trace would be cancelled because it'd just look like you we're bounced through and your an "innocent" I think it'd give a nice twist to passive traces, but of course this isn't fool proof because the passive trace could find traces of the software or data and you’d still be caught.

Of course this then leads onto the idea that you could create a "front" company that could hide all your illegal activities and throw the government agencies off you. Think of it this way; imagine creating a company called "Moodle" for instance. You could then create a company account in any bank of your choosing. (This would then enable Onlink to code two types of accounts for people. Personal and Company) So now say you hack a bank and it'd look pretty fishy if 1.5 million credits we're placed into your account by an anonymous benefactor, (because it’d be a nice idea if government agencies monitor all bank accounts for large pay off’s .ect so you would have to go to lengths to keep your information secure) so you would transfer it into the company account and change the logs to look like it was from sales of software you had created foodstuffs or any other wares of you’re choosing. (Just make sure it’d be legible so that your company actually sells these wares or at least fakes like it does) this would also enable you to create a backdoor in the bank of your choosing so you get easy access in and out to change the logs. So if you have this company it’d of course need public access servers and a mainframe. So this’d enable other types of servers to keep software/data or other wares on. This would also enable you to hide illegal buying of software from companies other than uplink.

What do you think? Criticisms Welcome, please no flames and if something makes no sense or you have a suggestion please bring it to my attention :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:50 pm 

AOL:DKWiz214
    Creative, but seems a little complex. I'm kinda lost.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:05 am 

I think the idea would basically add an "organised crime" element to hacking. It'd be a little to complex to implement a full company creation system which you can use as a front for hacking. I like the idea of the rented server. It could act like an anonymous proxy, whereby only stronger passive traces could find you, because they'd need to hack into the server and recover logs and file fragments. You could still be kicked off the server by an active trace, but only your server would be found. It's a nice idea, but if implemented would have to work out very expensive for the player, otherwise it'd make the game too easy.

The proxy idea is good.