Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Website Upgrades
PostPosted:Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:07 pm 

AOL:WyrmkillX
Alright guys, since we've done most of the basic shit for the site, I am wondering what else you guys want? Throw out some idea's and I will tell ya if I can, or can't code it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:04 pm 

Yah, I was wondring what the multiplayer system was like on this. I havent been able to find much data on it, and it seems like a really good idea. I had a few ideas though.

There could be server worlds, and one would have to connect to them and then to systems within. This would make it possible to keep organized and not have billions of diferrent computers on a map. There could maybe be a bunch of server worlds for the players, and it could be organized into groups of 50 or 100 or more per server world, and then maybe five SWs for public systems like banks and ISMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:49 am 

uuhh... there is no multiplayer system on Uplink.

Post subject:Yeah...
PostPosted:Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:09 pm 

That's what I thought...

Also, this is Onlink, not Uplink. It's a legitimate question for this time only, and the answer is "THERE'S NO MULTIPLAYER".

The only thing in Uplink/Onlink which is internet/network related is multimonitor.
Multimonitor allows you to have a dummy client running on a separate machine, showing details about your game.
Just makes the action a little more 'hollywood' :D

I'll write a new post explaining this so that somebody can sticky it and we don't get any silly questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:01 am 

I've only recently stumbled upon Uplink and while it is a very very innovative and cool game it left a somewhat stale feeling in the end - it could just be so much more. Now reading about that you try to do with Onlink - wow - if you only menage to pull off half of that stuff Onlink would probably be my #1 game for quite some time. Now I am not 100% sure what all the new planned systems do, so I might be repeating stuff that is already there... So ending along talk - here are my suggestions:

* More ways to gain passwords. In reality brute force crackers are rarely used. Instead you try things like
a) Social engineering/phising. Just drop the victim an e-mail (needs an anonymous mail server?)/call (needs a voice scrambler?) and tell that you are his bank,...
b) Find weak passwords. Make use of the underrated Dictionary Cracker. More likely then not you'll only find a user password, but you might be able to work from there somehow (find a mail with another pass for example?).
c) Send users a trojan in order to retrieve their passes (or put a worm on warez world,...?)
d) Guess passwords, like birthdates, petnames,... Would probably need some sort of low security middle system that can be hacked (or personal homepages,...
All the above would add a detective/deduction element to Uplink instead of pure tool using.

* More useful stuff todo with e-mails
a) Be able to send scams to gain money (have to steal a mass mailing list first?)
b) Be able to send virii/worms/trojans to infiltrate systems

* Malicious software
Revelation was a start, more could be implemented here (see suggestion on e-mails and passwords)
* Trojans that act on signal/on a specific time. For example you'd need to destroy two systems at exactly the same time. So at least one of them cannot be done by you.

* Ability to be warned that you are under investigation (for high end hackers) before the motion sensor starts flashing (like installing a worm/backdoor in the FBI that alerts you once you are under investigation). Needs a way to stop the investigation from happening.

* More complicated hacks like the "no direct hacking of mainframes" or LANs. As a start generate more missions that involve LANs.

* Ability to store voice samples.

* Ability to hire other hackers for subjobs (like distraction or for timed jobs).

* Ability to hire local thugs for real world jobs. This might be beating up some guys for their passes or to steal a server just 5 minutes after you caused a blackout in that city.

* Most importantly far more (diverse) missions. Expand over the usual get file x and send it to y. With all the hardware expansions I am pretty confident that this will offer enough new challenges. But also think of stories behind the missions like the physical steal server I outlined. Or modify the flightplan of a plane in order to have a guy miss a meeting in order to be able to... So basicall I'd like to see bigger scaled missions that have you organizing the whole crime rather then just the hackig part.

* regarding MP3 files - why not just use a WAV/CD player instead? Or use OGG or some other free file format?

* A GOOD manual explaining all the new tools and/or some tutorials.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:18 am 

After thinking abit here are plenty more suggestions:

New Stuff:
Backbones. A new type of computer system, a kind of hub that works on the scale of the world map. Crashing it (or more likely a couple of them) would result in a whole part of the web being down. Also you might be able to hack one and change the DNS/routing info and thus reroute the communication to the original system to yours.

Frequency Scanners. Ability to scan for the frequency of an open Wireless Lan access point (usually won't work in a LAN because of monitors that will prevent it unless disabled). Might also work on the world scale (hired guys that scan for you locally).

ICE. I have no idea what function it should have at the moment, but what would a cyberpunkish game be without ICE? How about a virus like behaviour that would distort your screen slightly in order to make it harder to click on the right buttons?

Ability to hire a mole at the target company in order to make a hack easier/possible at all

Webcams (useful for spying/locating of persons and or to get a voice sample). I know this might increase the size of the final mod too much, but maybe some middleway can be found?

Satellite connections (need uplink frequency?)

Time Locks (can only be hacked at a specific time). Might need you to disable the electricity in order to desynchronize it with something.

Fire Alarm (another way to damage a machine - initiate a fire alarm and have the water do its cruel work)

War Dialers (to get the number of a temporary sysadmin that is not listed on the public server, to find the number of a modem in the lan, to terrorize a person,...)

Operating System: Having no idea what you plan on doing with those except different looks it would make sense that those are vulnerable to different hacking methods/styles. Also virii/backdoors/... would probably only work on one OS, not all of them.

Useless Software: Ideally there shouldn't be useless software (unless there are better versions of the same one). Which means that it would be nice to have a use for: "Dictionary Hacker" "Log Modifier V2" and "LAN Force"

Mission suggestions:
* Rescue a hacker/person. This can be realease from prison or also undo the framing in time that some other hacker did.

* Locate a person (via his Mobile Phone for example. Another possibility would be to find him via a Webcam or via a travel agency/airport/... if he is on holiday)

* Manipulating the stock market

* Manipulate the world into buying some useless software (by constantly harassing systems without it)

* Blackmail (find stuff about a person that is useful for blackmailing or even upload/forge that stuff)

* Cause panic (for example by a blackout or by a simulated nuclear strike (Protovision))

* Defend a LAN - you are hired as the sysadmin to throw out a hacker. Not 100% sure about the implementation of this one. Maybe simulate a very fast hacker that hacks the lan as you'd do and you have to prevent him downloading/crashing the system until the trace is completed.

* Hack a telephone line (in order to listen to the conversation).

* Hack to improve the system security (install a Proxy or somesuch). A bit like the Fait missions.

* Hack the news system to have a special news appear.

* Replace a file

* Teach a new hacker (not 100% sure how this one would work). Maybe guiding him be e-mail and eradicating the errors he makes (mostly a trace the hacker type mission).

* Terrorize a person (by claiming he is dead, claiming he has no car,...)

* Do a test hack on a system to show weaknesses.

Another word on missions:

Ideally each mission objectiove should have multiple ways of achieving it. For example: I need a voice print:

* Call the sysadmin
* Use the webcam
* Use a Wardialer
* Blackmail him by mail (because he has no phone number) to disable the voice check
* Release the admin from jail before doing one of the above

Only one of them might be available, but certainly never all of them. Uplink/Onlink would gain quite some replay value if one cannot always mechanically perform the same actions for the same kind of mission.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:00 pm 

you got some nice ideas i like them
the whole making virii and such interests me it would be very cool to be able to design all sorts of things like that for all sorts of things like granting you acces to any system it manages to infect or delete all/some of the files or slowly leak all the files on the system to another server thats expecting them or a trigger that would shut the security off or something like that

a cool feature would be to be able to assemble a "group" so you would have some other hackers working with/for you so you would be able to hack a large lan for instance

also it would be cool to be able to lets say make annoying viruses and such then selling/giving for free the antivirus for it while the anti virus is ofcourse planted with a trojan or some such...

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:38 pm 

Well, I guess it's about the website here ;) So what about a way to upload .olk files? Might come in handy for debugging. And yes, I'm too fucking lazy for using my own webspace (which I don't really have...) and you seem to have lots of fun in coding php :)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:33 pm 

AOL:WyrmkillX
Well, I would hafta code a lil thing that will put em in a lil quoue (Or however the fuck you spell it) and then we would hafta have an admin approve it, cuz I aint lettin no one upload some viruse's and Im a school so i apologize for the terrible grammar/spelling and rushedness. And right now, i aint got no work to do for the website... so ya no...iono, i'll run it by Miah.

Post subject:Re: Website Upgrades
PostPosted:Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 pm 

THIS SI AN ASWOM IDEA! LOLINGS!

PostPosted:Wed May 12, 2010 8:28 pm 

AOL:VaiusArkollos
Quote:
...you necro'd a five-year-old thread to say that?

PostPosted:Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 am 
Organ Donor

Quote:
Quote:
...you necro'd a five-year-old thread to say that?
Well, it needed to be said.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Thu May 13, 2010 5:19 am 

Ovo Oh, god. Triple Deja vu...

PostPosted:Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 am 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
You're trying to mess with my head, aren't you. I'm not mad! I'm not!

PostPosted:Fri May 14, 2010 2:50 am 
Literally Nine

As far as gravedigs go, this was probably about a sixty-pointer.