Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Females?!?!?
    PostPosted:Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:43 pm 

Unless I'm mistaken, current scientific predictions state that the human female will not die out by the year 2010. Therefore, I was disappointed to see that Uplink did not acknowledge their existence.

Is there a way that Onilink could assign a gender to each of the people it creates for various databases and stuff, and assigning specific first names, photos, and voices depending on gender? Or is that too much reworking of the original code?

Post subject:Re: Females?!?!?
    PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:21 pm 

AOL:oXKethlarXo
    Quote:
    Unless I'm mistaken, current scientific predictions state that the human female will not die out by the year 2010. Therefore, I was disappointed to see that Uplink did not acknowledge their existence.

Is there a way that Onilink could assign a gender to each of the people it creates for various databases and stuff, and assigning specific first names, photos, and voices depending on gender? Or is that too much reworking of the original code?
    First of All this has already been discussed you did not need to make new damn thread for it.

http://www.onlink-mod.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90
    Please search for a friggin post making new threads about the same damn thing, it pisses people off me being one of them if you dont search at all.

I have said before as well as other people have, if you have enough time to sign up for here, then you ahve enough time to search for a post BEFORE YOU POST! .

So do it from now on.
    Threads have been posted about alot of things concerning, and dealing with alot of different things. This has been already discussed, doesnt mean that it has been shot down or even said 'ok' to or anything like this.

This MEANS POST IN THERE!!!! NOT MAKING A NEW DAMN THREAD ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!

-Kethlar

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:00 pm 
    Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
    AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
    Kethlar needs anger management classes.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:47 pm 

Quote:
    Kethlar needs anger management classes.
    Actaully Currently Iam already going, and this is better than what I would of said and have done, I guess iam lucky, or you guys are lucky I could and can be worse if you wish.

-Kethlar :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:41 am 

Thank you for your uncivilized, barbaric lecture, but it's without merit. I did a search for the word "female," and found it in only ONE thread. Yes, someone did happen to make a post about this particular issue (that would be you), and no, it was not already discussed. There were no actual replies to it from developers regarding the issue, and it was buried in a thread not actually focused on that specific topic. I would like this issue addressed by someone who is working on Onlink that can tell me whether it's feasible or not and how, and nudging it into a thread that was originally created for another topic out of respect for your own damn changing of the subject in it isn't my idea of getting it done.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:08 am 

Forst of all I said it wasent discussed further my exact quote "This has been already discussed, doesnt mean that it has been shot down or even said 'ok' to or anything like this. "

This means there has not been any replies to this.... If you read obviously YOU DIDNT READ!
    THAT IS MY POINT.

Again post in the same thread about this, since the THREAD was about PICS, and later on in the thread wihch insteadl of making a whole damn new one, the thread NOW has turned into PICS that were without the Correct names and NAMES of the people which were females.

If you know anything about forums this is how forums are about it is ONE, UNO, 1, SINGLER thread about everything which saves on space and searching through numerous threads about 1 single thing.

Just becuase you are to damn lazy to post in the same threwd doesnt mean we have to suffer in your inane thread about stuff that has been discussed or in your small mind 'PROPOSED BUT NOT ANSWERED TO' there feel better that i have to spell it out for you like a baby.
    I should not have to do that, you are playing samantics.

-Kethlar

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am 

I'd rather not lower myself to arguing such a measly point with you, but here goes...

Your exact quote implied it had been discussed further. "This has been already discussed," Well, okay. Someone had brought it up, maybe someone responded. "doesnt mean that it has been shot down or even said 'ok' to or anything like this. [Emphasis added]" Intereting word choice. You seem to be defending it, saying, "That doesn't mean it's been shot down." Had you used the word "hasn't," I might have slightly gotten your point a bit better.

And I'm sure we can all attest that, due to the topic of this thread, I do not solely wish to discuss images, but rather the entire concept of having female citizens of the world in the game. I proposed that we have seperate lists of names for males and females, different voices for males and females, and a whole load of other things that might apply to females. For example, since this thread was started solely to discuss the idea of females, one could bring up a different algorithm for generating female things (i.e. less likely to be convicted of rape, may be more or less prevalent in a specific academic field).

Now, regarding the thread that this has supposedly been discussed in; I saw no post regarding the fact that the discussion was shot down, nor did I see any topic development. Therefore, I figured that if I started a thread that was about more than "Pics," which was a thread originally started to discuss adding your own images, I decided to
    (1) Avoid driving it further off topic
    (2) Continue the discussion
    (3) Do this in a thread that would have a much clearer focus on what I intended

Unfortunately, it seems like a discussion that you certainly want to have will not occur, because your overprotectiveness of your original off-topic post is cluttering this thread with ridiculous flames and arguments. Therefore, after this post, I would like a ceasefire regarding this issue, and just let the damn discussion continue here, please. Thank you.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:59 am 

Frainkly...

Flat out you were wrong in posting a new thread about something which has been discussed, you took it upon yourself to open a new thread about females which did not need to be have to be or other wise been done.
    Posting a post in the thread about PICS and about the Females not being in there and the like was right on target with even SELF pics iam sorry, but the fact is that female do also play this game so me posting about females also which were not added correctly into the game period was rigth on track too.

Threads do not always start out as planned, people feed off thoes threads, and the thread continues on, with other ideas and the like. New thread are not needed for the same god damn thing.

Do not post a reply about what I said I will not read it since you have been ignored and it will go unanswered, since your inane replies dont mean jack and they are just insignificant in themselves.

END OF DISCUSSION

-Kethlar

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:36 pm 

Excellent. Now you can leave and people who are actually interested in discussing this can.

Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Females. So, would such a thing be feasible?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:54 pm 

It's not hard to do. You just set a new attribute in the player class called sex, setting it to SEX_MALE or SEX_FEMALE. Then you have a list of male/female names separately.

Obviously, the text in the game would use "he" or "his" all the time, so that would have to be fixed to check.

The hacker alias names would have to be made more unisex though, you don't want a girl with "BruteForceBloke" as her alias now do you?

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:03 pm 
    Literally Nine

But why not? It would actually make more sense, if said "hacker" had any mind at all...

I mean, if you were a female hacker with a "macho" alias, imagine how confusing it would be to federal agents...

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:33 am 

Scary, but true.

Maybe you could create 20% of females with macho names and 20% of males with femenine names, just because they took the time to think about it.
    Hell, you could even give them a little boost in how good they are, and if they get caught, comment about their alias in the news :D