Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:The Power Supply
    PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:16 pm 

AOL:VaiusArkollos
    Something I'd like to see implemented into Onlink/Cerebus (provided Cerebus has a similar hardware system to Onlink) is an actual use of the power supply.

Ever since I first played Uplink, I thought, "If the power supply isn't upgradeable, why does it have a slot? Why isn't it just a static image like the other non-upgradeable parts of the gateways?"

Well, today I had an idea. You need a certain amount of RAM for your software, and realistically you need a certain amount of voltage for your hardware.

A second reason this could be implemented is to prevent people from making Super Ultra Mega 10,000 CPU Powerhouse or Super Ultra Mega 10,000 Memory Database computers.

Post subject:Re: The Power Supply
    PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 pm 

I've actually always wondered why it had its own designated slot.
    Quote:
    making Super Ultra Mega 10,000 CPU Powerhouse or Super Ultra Mega 10,000 Memory Database computers.
    I'd also like to take the time to say thanks for the Auxiliary machines, gotta love having your cake and eating it too.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 pm 

Quote:
    I'd also like to take the time to say thanks for the Auxiliary machines, gotta love having your cake and eating it too.
    Yup. The Auxiliaries are extremely useful. The best part is, provided you didn't hack your userfile or use CheatEngine or something, you actually earned all that harddrive space or processing power.

PostPosted:Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 pm 

I always hated having to choose between the super processor, and a file server. There was an update to the original uplink awhile back that let you draw out custom gateways and specify prices. If this feature is returned, then using power supplies to limit the number of hardware devices would be very necessary.

PostPosted:Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm 

I simply just can't get how you can play Onlink, when (Windows) (beta) version is unplayable :-(

Is it playable on Mac and/or on Linux? There isn't anybody with Windows or how you all can play it, when there is malloc error after few hours of playing?! Do you have some playable version or what? Of course I will not buy Mac, because of Onlink, but I'm sure I will install Linux version of Onlink, if it is playable on Linux - but I thought this "malloc bug" affect all OSs - then how the hell you play it? Please provide here your version, thx.

By the way - when will be new build released? I don't demand new features - I just want playable Onlink ... I can't wait for Cerberus, please release new fixed build soon!

PostPosted:Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:58 pm 

I don't know about Linux, but yeah, I'm running a Mac. It's working fine (except for the latest version crashing after about 10 minutes of playing, but that was fixed by going to the previous version).

PostPosted:Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm 

So what version (and build) do you use right now? In the current installer there is only beta (which have save game issues, so it is unplayable, 'cause it is crashing after few hours of playing) and some quite old version, which lack of lot new features.