Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Uplink, Onlink, Gateways and Logs
    PostPosted:Tue May 17, 2005 4:34 pm 

Ok, firstpost, so woo for that and all that jazz

Firstly, Uplink freakin rocks, and from the looks of things onlink will too...

that said, a few things bugged me in the original.
    Firstly, the fact that the gateways were very simplistic. is there any possibility that there could be a more complex gateway system? or am i being a rude noob?

secondly, the passive trace thing bugged me too. an auto-log-deleter, or a programme that masked your logs would make it a lot less of a hassle to deal with the freakin logs on every server.

Thanks

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 pm 

You really dont have to delete the logs on every server... just InterNic really, r the one you just hacked into (hence made easier with 'Log Nuker 1.0' or whatever)

What do you mean by complex gateways? < Kinda vague there

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed May 18, 2005 5:26 am 

Lol, thought i was being a bit vague with the gateways.

what i mean is more like actual computers, you can buy them ready made or you can buy the parts seperatly... the seperatly part would involve you buying the base of the computer (with however many slots) and creating your own beast - that way there would be pretty much no limit on how fast your pc was or how much memory you had - just your bank balance...

and as for log deleating, your not serious... i've been deleating them all...

Might explain why i was geting ticked off with it XD

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed May 18, 2005 4:18 pm 

Heh, I WAS serious about the logs. If you hacked into a computer that lets say had a proxy, but you had no proxy bypasser/killer, you'd just go to InterNic and delete the logs there.

Anyways, I get the gateway part now

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:18 pm 

I believe you can use something called "Gateway Maker". However, I believe that there are linguistic barriers, and that it may be potentially incapable of creating Gateways that are compatible with Onlink's standards.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:22 am 

Actually, deleting the logs on the server you hacked will make no difference once an active or passive trace has been activiated.

Deleting them from InterNIC will save you from most Internal Services Machines, but it is wise to delete both lots when hacking government computers, LANs or mainframes.

But yes, I definately think that purchasing gateway packages would be great. They could be generated randomly in the following way:

1 ) Choose a standard gateway at random, making sure that it has 2 or more processor slots.
    2 ) Choose a number of CPUs to add between 2 and the max number that the gateway can handle.
    3 ) Randomly add that number CPUs, each with a random amount of power.
    4 ) Choose a random amount of memory to add to it.
    5 ) Choose which security devices to add to it (if any)
    6 ) Choose a random modem which the gateway can handle.
    7 ) Choose any extra low level software to add to it (Defrag, etc)
    8 ) Tally up all the costs of the above, and take off 5%, making it worthwhile.

That way you have to have the cash in a lump sum to buy the gateway, but the gateways could be purchased by other agents, so you have to hope it's still there if you have to save up.

Secondly, there could be an eBay style way of doing this, where you bid for the gateway against CPU agents, with a reserve price and stuff. Then make the server really secure (really hard to hack, very high level security), but allow you to hack in and override the bid so that you automatically win by deleting the other bids and setting the remaining time to 0.