Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Majestic-12, UFO, Paranormal Research Databases
    PostPosted:Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 am 

Hello there!

Onlink is awesome! Love the new features it has after playing Uplink. It would be really great to see a few databases scattered around the globe that has valuable information on them for the not so mainstream kind of people. Like UFO files, censored technologies, Telekinesis, weather manipulation and etc research documents. Most of whom are interested in these topics at least once thought of hacking a database like this and finding a honeypot of data on the net. Well at least in Onlink we could do that.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:Re: Majestic-12, UFO, Paranormal Research Databases
    PostPosted:Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:29 am 

The flaw in this, is that we would first need the data. If this data is freely acquired on the net, what's the point?

Also, maybe Miah and Tycho think stuff like that is full of shit, and therefore don't want it in their game.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:02 am 

Quote:
    The flaw in this, is that we would first need the data. If this data is freely acquired on the net, what's the point?

Also, maybe Miah and Tycho think stuff like that is full of shit, and therefore don't want it in their game.
    It's just a suggestion Switch. Anyway, Uplink and Onlink can be considered a role playing game. Thus content is not necessarily real. Most of the content is fiction anyway. Data for this idea could easily be fabricated by anyone.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:57 pm 

It sounds like you're just suggesting to have in-game servers with several files--possibly an object similar in design to the current uplink agent list program and data files--with Conspiracy content.

I look at it like an alternate motive for taking down systems/ruining lives. Silence the Conspiracy Theorists, delete leaked Top Secret data, etc. Right now the primary motives for missions are Financial and Revenge. The player is hired by Corps/organizations to attack other corps/ruin people/adjust records for those reasons. However, since the player is at the trigger man level, there isn't really a need or an ability to delve too deeply into the motivations behind the player's assignments--except in the actual storyline.

It all comes down to the same basic missions, with just more varied and fleshed-out motivations behind the assignments--which I would support, and which I also think is being addressed in the multi-faction extension to the storyline the programmers are designing.

Perhaps if those with the Dev Cd wish, they can put together a template code for the random generation of such servers, and Miah et al. can decide whether to include it. If I'm not mistaken, Onlink uses the same basic Uplink world-generator code to populate the "world" with systems, including several specific systems (ie the Uplink Internal Services Machine, Internic, GCD, International Academic Database, etc.); additional ones could be implemented easily if one knew how.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:59 am 

Quote:
    It sounds like you're just suggesting to have in-game servers with several files--possibly an object similar in design to the current uplink agent list program and data files--with Conspiracy content.

I look at it like an alternate motive for taking down systems/ruining lives. Silence the Conspiracy Theorists, delete leaked Top Secret data, etc. Right now the primary motives for missions are Financial and Revenge. The player is hired by Corps/organizations to attack other corps/ruin people/adjust records for those reasons. However, since the player is at the trigger man level, there isn't really a need or an ability to delve too deeply into the motivations behind the player's assignments--except in the actual storyline.

It all comes down to the same basic missions, with just more varied and fleshed-out motivations behind the assignments--which I would support, and which I also think is being addressed in the multi-faction extension to the storyline the programmers are designing.
    I do agree that fleshing out missions would be a great idea. Some may even have choices. You could have a smaller less significant version of the Uplink storyline; two companies developing technology; Choose which one to break, and get access to the other's tech. Another way to flesh it out would be to actually 'know' some of your employers. Then for example you may get a mission to betray one of your employers.

The reason I responded with scorn, is simply because I read the post like this:

"Please help spread more conspiracy theory stuff"

PostPosted:Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 am 

Quote:
    The reason I responded with scorn, is simply because I read the post like this:
    "Please help spread more conspiracy theory stuff"
    Ah yes, I can see why you responded as you did. In reading the suggestion in that way, it does seem a suggestion to put info on fileservers like a random file that you can access, but without actually affecting the in-game world at all via missions or otherwise. And it does sort of seem like a fulfill-a-fantasy wish, like, you want the information as opposed to just hacking for the sake of hacking--which is the point of the game and where all accomplishments are tied into.

I suppose it'd be just like adding email spam into the game, or putting real-life named VIPs as people in the world (Seriously, I can frame Bill Gates for hacking Microsoft?). Benefits or rewards which do not necessarily appeal to every player of this game. That is, while every player of this game is connected by a desire to simulate hacking, the desired rewards of said 'hacking' will vary between players.

PostPosted:Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm 

Quote:
    It sounds like you're just suggesting...
    This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. It would add real depth to the game, and also, you might be required to decide who you'd like to assist. Take down conspirators, or take down the people who make conspiracies know to the public. This would really be great!

PostPosted:Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:07 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
    AOL:FinalWarrior591
    Quote:
    great to see a few databases scattered around the globe that has valuable information on them for the not so mainstream kind of people. Like UFO files, censored technologies, Telekinesis, weather manipulation and etc research documents. Most of whom are interested in these topics at least once thought of hacking a database like this and finding a honeypot of data on the net. Well at least in Onlink we could do that.
    Rename x Corporation's Database to y Conspiracy Theorist's Database, change "Corporation x's Data File" to read "Conspiracy y's Data File"... and we're done.

That's basically what you're asking for - right? Because Onlink already features missions that have the players copying/deleting data, crashing mainframes, discrediting people by mucking around with their academics/social security and/or getting them tossed into prison, getting hackers caught/framed... all anyone has to do is change around a few names and/or context information and there y'go. A game about hacking as a means to facilitate/stop conspiracy theories instead of a game about hacking as a means to facilitate/stop corporate espionage.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 am 

Or...

A new Area 51 server could be added that is super hidden. It's data could either be worth hundreds of thousands or it could just be a "hack-it-just-for-fun" thing where you get to see the interesting contents of it. (Or even like the Wargames thing, add a space invaders clone? :P)

But the mission ideas are good too.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================