Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:My 2 cents
    PostPosted:Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 am 

First creating clusters of systems for taking on particularly expensive processing tasks, using this you can lag the key system with connections or DDOS (I think this is already being put in) to decrease the time for it to get a trace on you.

A easy to to throw up all your bypassers at once, its annoying to have to click and drag all the way from the left side of the screen menu to the right side every single time you hack, perhaps place the bypassers already in place (if you have one for that security system) and have to click it into action (Assuming its high enough level to bypass).

Really in my experience in most cases Uplink is a game of race against the clock, so preforming these tasks are very painful, having to access them from the menu to use some of them that require alot of going back and forth. For most of the programs this is acceptable becuase they are used one or twice at most during a hack, but a bypass requires to travel to the menu up to 5 or so times per connection.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing an optimizer and recompiling program, the first is like the compression but for programs and the second can recompile a program to run faster.

I would like to see a better way to manage cpu time, currently its okay, but having preset or assignable priorities for a program would be nice so as soon as you start your bypassers they have low priority, so when you start up you password breaker which could be assigned a higher one it automatically takes as much cpu power as it can to preform what its doing (allowing a faster break).

Aside from this, I wouldn't mind some way to be connected to multiple systems at the same time, so you can be working to disable the gateway at the same time you are breaking into the mainframe.

But my biggest want for onlink is some better text editing support, not anything special like fonts or coloring, but more simple things like a text cursor and being able to insert text. This is even more important since we we're given a notepad.

Post subject:Re: My 2 cents
    PostPosted:Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:09 am 
    Literally Nine

Quote:
    First creating clusters of systems for taking on particularly expensive processing tasks, using this you can lag the key system with connections or DDOS (I think this is already being put in) to decrease the time for it to get a trace on you.
    No. A DDoS attack is basically to break a computer from the network. You need to remember that a DDoD that would NOT remove it from the network would still keep you from reasonably doing any harm. That is the point of a DDoS. To deny service.
    Quote:
    A easy to to throw up all your bypassers at once, its annoying to have to click and drag all the way from the left side of the screen menu to the right side every single time you hack, perhaps place the bypassers already in place (if you have one for that security system) and have to click it into action (Assuming its high enough level to bypass).
    Can perhaps do something about this. Didn't think of it before. Could go with the MasterKey suite.
    Quote:
    Also I wouldn't mind seeing an optimizer and recompiling program, the first is like the compression but for programs and the second can recompile a program to run faster.
    I was thinking about this. If I were to make programs compressed, you should be assured that they would both take more RAM to run and be slower.

As to the optimizer, I am curious as to what you think needs run faster. Most things just run, i.e. the bypassers. Other thing that could reasonably run faster could get the same boost from higher version (namely the killer programs). If you have something else in mind that don't fit those two specs, lemme know.
    Quote:
    I would like to see a better way to manage cpu time, currently its okay, but having preset or assignable priorities for a program would be nice so as soon as you start your bypassers they have low priority, so when you start up you password breaker which could be assigned a higher one it automatically takes as much cpu power as it can to preform what its doing (allowing a faster break).
    I'll look into it. Vanbakel (the name of the task manager) is a bit fickle about a lot of things. I bet it's going to be pissy if I ask it to start a program with less than 100% power if it's the only running one.
    Quote:
    Aside from this, I wouldn't mind some way to be connected to multiple systems at the same time, so you can be working to disable the gateway at the same time you are breaking into the mainframe.
    I fail to see the relevance. The mainframe will simply stop communicating with you if the gateway is still up, meaning that you'd still need to do it in order. Feel free to come up with a more useful example... it might not be that hard to do if I think it's warranted.
    Quote:
    But my biggest want for onlink is some better text editing support, not anything special like fonts or coloring, but more simple things like a text cursor and being able to insert text. This is even more important since we we're given a notepad.
    I was fearing this moment. Eclipse, which handles the text items, currently doesn't support such a thing, and I have no reasonable way to accurately calculate position. Or even insert text at a midpoint.

I'll ask Alastair. I know it's something we should do, but I honestly haven't much an idea of how to do it without recoreing the game. Again.

PostPosted:Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:35 pm 

Quote:
    I was thinking about this. If I were to make programs compressed, you should be assured that they would both take more RAM to run and be slower.
    Alright I can agree with that, mainly because when you have a system that needs to compress programs it generally has a bit more in the processor area.
    Quote:
    I'll look into it. Vanbakel (the name of the task manager) is a bit fickle about a lot of things. I bet it's going to be pissy if I ask it to start a program with less than 100% power if it's the only running one.
    If its the only one running it will run at 100%, but when something with a higher proirity starts, adjust the speeds so that one with the better priority gets the lions share of the processing power. If you have two 'lion share' programs running, split the share between them.
    Quote:
    I fail to see the relevance. The mainframe will simply stop communicating with you if the gateway is still up, meaning that you'd still need to do it in order. Feel free to come up with a more useful example... it might not be that hard to do if I think it's warranted.
    Actually you got me there, it seemed like a good idea, but in this game I suppose its actual usefulness is pretty low. I suppose you could connect to a server then subconnect to internic to delete your logs, my other example is you log on a mainframe and oh no it requires a cypher you don't have one or it requires a voice print and you didn't get it before hand (forgetful forgetful) you could subconnect to the public server, grab the number disconnect, subconnect to call it and get the voice print while your waiting for VDPIN cracker to do its work or one of the killers. And so on, it has its uses but most of it is either because of forgetfulness or to keep you occupied while something slow does its job.
    Quote:
    First creating clusters of systems for taking on particularly expensive processing tasks....
    As for this another thing is you could harness the power of one or two of your aux super computers (if you can afford that!) to work on running one of the killers.

As for the text, I apologize, it just seemed rather basic functionality as of... early versions of UNIX atleast..

As a side note here are a few bugs I have noticed with the current stable version.

If you compress the agent list and upload it to the fileserver they say you have missing data dispite it all being there.

The file versions on v10 and up cause some artifacts on the right side of the memory view (Atleast on certain bypassers).

The file versions in the uplink software list sometimes wrap, skip, or repeat versions, for example with a copy of the Monitor bypass, it went v1, v2, v3,v4,v5,v7,v2,v2. That confused me quite a bit.

PostPosted:Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 pm 
    Literally Nine

I've added most of your suggestions to my todo list, including the multiple connections idea.

It's not terribly useful yet, but it's interesting, and I'm all for fresh ideas. Might even be useful as the code base expands...