Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:[idea] new eliptic curve ala matrix code
PostPosted:Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:11 pm 

i got an idea for a new security system from watching the matrix
when the operator is looking at the matrix in the scrolling code...
like the eliptic thingie but with the added thing of being able to spot patterns and click on them to help speed it up

to the outside observer it would look like the hacker is actually looking for code strings etc etc...

comments shoot ?

Post subject:Re: [idea] new eliptic curve ala matrix code
PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:24 am 
Literally Nine

A long time ago I had drafted an idea I called the Savant Cypher, in which there was a password embedded into an ECC that contained all alpha-numeric characters rather than just numbers.

A cracker would have attempted multiple patterns to retrieve a *list* of possible passwords that the user could attempt. This would have replaced the normal password screen on more advanced systems, but then I found that some people are ridiculously lazy and expect that there's going to be an autocracker for everything. At that point, I had abandoned that segment.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 am 

Quote:
I found that some people are ridiculously lazy and expect that there's going to be an autocracker for everything.
Those people should just go play World of Warcraft if they want an easy game that requires no effort or thinking. I like the idea.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:23 pm 

agreed
it could / should be implemented in the harder missions

PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 pm 

Quote:
A long time ago I had drafted an idea I called the Savant Cypher, in which there was a password embedded into an ECC that contained all alpha-numeric characters rather than just numbers.

A cracker would have attempted multiple patterns to retrieve a *list* of possible passwords that the user could attempt. This would have replaced the normal password screen on more advanced systems, but then I found that some people are ridiculously lazy and expect that there's going to be an autocracker for everything. At that point, I had abandoned that segment.
a different aproach to harder missions could be to add more riddles or the likes to a mission line.

simple stuff like a file with morsecode, hex, binary etc etc is a great way to kick these things off. A lot of online "hacking" sites do exactly this as the riddles along the way.

To kick things up in gear you could add bits of sourcecode we download ingame which contain a hint to the designated server in its code (like loops that in the end return the IP or similiar)

as it is now the missions get pretty, well i wouldnt say boring but atleast repetive after a while. Only thing that takes more than a monkey is basicly the VSEC which really isnt that hard.

Harder security schemes doesnt really add new content, at times im a bit annoyed by the amount of bypassers i have to place (after a while you just place all 6 when you begin the hack)

the game hacker revolution actually has a lot of good computer related riddles you hvae to solve.

Onlink could for instance provide you with tools up to a certain level after which you have to find the rest on machines you dig out from riddle clues you find. Clues could be scattered around and found during your normal missions to make things a bit interresting.

just some thoughts :)

PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:42 pm 
Organ Donor

Yeah honestly Miah, puzzles that actually make you think are pretty cool. Thought of course it's very fitting for people not to want to have to do any actual work or thinking, considering that in Onlink you're a total script kiddy.

But seriously, don't let the whiners stop you from doing interesting things, unless of course everyone hates the idea (which doesn't seem to be the case). One of the advantages of doing something for free is that you don't have to worry about losing potential profits. :P If it's truly necessary, the ability to disable uncrackable systems, perhaps.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:12 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Quote:
I found that some people are ridiculously lazy and expect that there's going to be an autocracker for everything.
Those people should just go play World of Warcraft if they want an easy game that requires no effort or thinking. I like the idea.
WoW, easy? Yeah, if all you're doing is level grinding... not if you're into PvP or raiding. But, that's a totally different topic.

@Miah: I'm going to have to add my voice to the masses clamoring that you do implement more difficult puzzles/riddles/whathaveyou into harder missions, but with a caveat: don't forgot to increase the frequency of easier missions for the lazy people to breeze through so they can feel smugly superior. :mrgreen:

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 am 

Quote:
Quote:
QFT.

Like I said, I prefer security systems which require thinking instead of shitloads of crackers.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:52 am 

agreed
i think the problem with thinking is that lazy people have to do it on their own, and just give up at a certain point

thinking puzzles shoudnt be too hard and yet shoudnt be too easy
requires a good mix of logical thinking and be intuitive enough so that peopl without hacking expierence will be able to come up with the solution

hmm maybe a feature ingame where u can mail a hacker for hints
1 st hint 5000 credits
2 nd hint 8000 credits
3 th hint 10000 credits (would practically give it away)

PostPosted:Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 am 
Organ Donor

Well, the only caveat is that figuring out what to do probably shouldn't be the actual puzzle (well, unless, y'know, it is[/i).
The puzzle's goal should be clear, but how to achieve the goal should be the puzzle.
It's no fun to futz around with a time-limited (as all in Onlink must necessarily be) puzzle blindly trying to figure out what you're even supposed to be doing.

As long as this is the case and the puzzles aren't unreasonably hard (a 5x5 lights out game is not that hard as those puzzles go) I don't think that they have much space to complain.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 pm 

i think on a basic level most people ( especialy once expirernced with uplink and onlink) will be able to understand a certain logic
like ie, soemone hacked ur gateway and stole ur files but no ip of the culprit is logged, hence u Undelete and find out his ip and then backtrack
puzzles should be more about figuring out the logic then a strict time limit
time limits suck anyway cuz i find the game a bit too laggy to do real quik actions like deleting and copying before being traced

PostPosted:Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
WoW, easy? Yeah, if all you're doing is level grinding... not if you're into PvP or raiding. But, that's a totally different topic.
PvP? Have you ever played PvP? All people do is idle in battle groups for 700 sessions and accumulate point to buy gear that you can't outclass. That doesn't require thinking. The WoW system of PvP is about the most broken thing I've seen.

On the note of the Savant Cypher, I've been getting back to it. It's not fun, because I basically need to code a graphics library on top of the current one to make the effects I need. Combine this with the 3D I'm already doing, and you can see a time consuming whorish nightmare on the horizon.

Yes. That is correct. I said 3D. More on that later. I love to see speculation on these things.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
PvP? Have you ever played PvP? All people do is idle in battle groups for 700 sessions and accumulate point to buy gear that you can't outclass. That doesn't require thinking. The WoW system of PvP is about the most broken thing I've seen.
Not BattleGrounds, I meant raiding capital cities, duels, etc. Y'know, actual PvP, where players beat on other players and there's a challenge.

(Unless you're a Warrior... Everything > Warrior.)

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:22 am 

lol...exactly what i had in mind upon starting this thread
big side-track-o-rama
:P
and i got bored with wow
playing on my own localhost server now

PostPosted:Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:20 pm 

I just got started playing again, after having not played since May. Got a lot of catching up to do... I only hit 63 earlier today on my Paladin. T-T

(And I'm thinking of switching over to Kirin Tor from Shandris... RP server FTW.)

-- Griffinhart