Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: [idea] new eliptic curve ala matrix code
PostPosted:Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:04 am 
Literally Nine

I'm on Firetree if anyone cares.

I play with like, one person and she's gone for another week yet, so I'm idle. :p

PostPosted:Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 pm 

Quote:
A long time ago I had drafted an idea I called the Savant Cypher, in which there was a password embedded into an ECC that contained all alpha-numeric characters rather than just numbers.

A cracker would have attempted multiple patterns to retrieve a *list* of possible passwords that the user could attempt. This would have replaced the normal password screen on more advanced systems, but then I found that some people are ridiculously lazy and expect that there's going to be an autocracker for everything. At that point, I had abandoned that segment.
Let 'em cry

Let's see... in real hacking there would never be auto-crackers, hackers would have to use a lot of logic. However, we can't put logic puzzles that resemble real hacking, since we'd get sued, so what's wrong with putting logic games at least? No hacking game can be fun if all you have to do is click on a bunch of stuff to autocrack them.

It doesn't matter if it's a game that could be solved by a computer in a split second like VDPIN, as long as there is a convincing explanation for it. What matters is that you use logic and make the game not repetitive.

I also gave suggestions for a few security systems that would take some time to solve (I don't mean the security server suggestions, just the systems like virtual keyboard)

I doubt people wouldn't beg for autocrackers for any puzzle, but really there shouldn't be autocrackers for everything, otherwise the game will be just completing repetitive missions to gather up money to buy higher level auto crackers for doing missions that require even more clicking for autocracking

At least make those puzzle systems in high level companies, so that the players have gathered some experience, and if they're not capable of solving them without a single click it just means they're not fit for being high level hackers and ruining top companies

PostPosted:Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 am 

Quote:
Let's see... in real hacking there would never be auto-crackers, hackers would have to use a lot of logic. However, we can't put logic puzzles that resemble real hacking, since we'd get sued
first off unless you live in a really facist country im pretty damn sure that "hacking" or "cracking" isnt in itself illegal. However The actions can be performed in such a way that it is (ie on other people or places you dont have permission). I fail to see how a game like Uplink can ever fall into the illegal category even with some of the most true to life scenarios imaginable.

Second, there is very much so "auto crackers". Not for passwords and such but hacking today is basicly down to figuring a way (*.exploit) to puttting a trojan on someone's machine to gain total control.

Hacking as we know it in Uplink comes partly from hollywood and partly from the old "telnet" hacks from the 80s where connecting to a machine and cracking the password was the main entry point for a "hack". And yes bruteforce (autocracker) was the primary means of obtaining access then. Basic unencrupted datastream, passwords and if security was high you actually had to bounce through a lesser secure part of the same trusted system to gain access to your target (since it only accepted connections from certain machines, much like in uplink where you have to bounce through other machines in the company to connect to the Mainframe and Internal Services)

PostPosted:Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:57 pm 

I love the idea of riddles and such, but it doesn't really sound like I'm a hacker if I try to solve a riddle.

It would be cool if riddles would be somehow connected to a part of the story line, so that Lazy people can't fully enjoy the experience, I'd rather hack 2 medium difficult missions in 10 minutes than spend 2 hours solving a riddle.

Not because I'm lazy, but because I usually with everything I do, want to progress---- fast.