Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Neuromancer "work"
    PostPosted:Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 pm 

Hey guys
    I searched around to see if this has been suggested before but couldnt find any so here goes.

The neuromancer rating in the game atm is pretty useless (this has however been brought up before)

I rather like the newsticker and often roleplay a bit around some of the stuff, like if one of the other agents/hackers are jailed i break them loose etc.

Now i know that the game revolves around your work as an Uplink agent but that only really gives you an incentive to increase your agent grade (or well decrease....)

Hackers and crackers do in reallife commmune in some form of cummunities either usenet, regular forums or irc (or similiar)
    To give that community effect ingame how about making a "hacker" server somewhere which like the Uplink ISM hosts a form of mission list (more on that) and a newsticker (forum stylish)
    news ticker would feature a set of less mainstream (anarchist) news items like what some bad corp. has done now etc etc.

Harming this bad corp would then give you slightly more to your neuromancer rating than regular companies (and it would justify those "out of boredom" mainframe crashes we (atleast i) do)

The mission list is a bit more obvious, it could be other hackers wanting help with something, break a friend out, get some interresting data from a server etc etc.
    Instead of money they simply increase your neuromancer rating.

The whole "hacker" community could in the storyline missions be switched with Arunmor so that its the hackers that are working against ARC and Revelation. The "Arunmor" side of the story could for example be triggered when you reach a certain neuromancer rating where some of the others let you in on what they know (ie in the circle of trust)

The ARC side of the story line could either come from them giving you as a good neuromancer a counteroffer OR that you through your uplink grade get hired for it (like you are dogbert, only without the murder)

bsaicly as i vision it you start out as a lonely Uplink Operative and work your way up. If you do "good" missions your neuromancer rating will increase until you reach a certain grade where your invited to the server (or perhaps you get a mission from a law enforcement agency to locate the "hacker" server and take it down. Once you find it you can either attempt to hack and disable it (sys delete) or drop the mission and be a part of the community.

The idea probably comes from the main story line in Hackers Revolution where a group of hackers known as DotHackers (or similiar) help and seek help from the player as they attempt to uncover the "plot" along with you.

Anywho its a long wall of text. Hope it atleast makes a little sense. I realise theres a lot of todo's on the onlink project but i hope you will atleast concider "upgrading" the neuromancer rating and making some alternative to uplink (as an organisation)