Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:My suggestions
PostPosted:Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:01 pm 

A possible system for airports:
-Have government airports in fixed locations in different continents/countries with the respective name.
-If desired, add company-owned airports too, these might be random locations.
-Normally you can just check the flights, times and destinations, but with admin access edit them and get into the planes' systems and jack them to make it crash.
-Since planes are time-related, you can only accept a mission before it's too late. Also in missions to change a plane destination it can only be completed once the plane landed in the right place.
-Don't forget to put plane crashes on the news ^^

When I played the FBI mod their server showed the building and systems on its floors, even tho i could do nothing with them. Why not add some of these to certain servers like banks or jail? They would create more missions.

Change some mission levels and payments. For example, missions to hack into a mainframe need some PC tools and many bypassers, it's too expensive for the level they're at, I had to hack a bank to finish it. I don't remember other missions now since it's been some time since i paused my uplink playing, but double check the list.

Quick suggestions:
-High level mission to hack into army system (with very high security) and do something like launching a missile
-Hack into a jail to assist in a prison break
-Hack a power plant to cause a power failure
-Mission to zero the cash on a bank account and raise the loan to max
-Software similar to PC that lets you hack into the root of a cell phone and place a program that records all calls and saves them in a given system
-Mid-level missions to hack into a pc (introducing pc hack before you have to crash a gateway)
-With several new security systems (like i suggested in the edits) there could be many more low level missions that introduce these systems. That fills up the gap where you have to hack a bank to move on and is interesting. What I mean is: Just like there are good and bad corps (with low/high security) there can be more middle ones with, for example, encrypted passwords, antivirus, etc.
-Missions to frame a company for hacking another. Same as framing a person, but you change the log to point to the ISM or Mainframe of the company you're framing.
-By darkknight: have some companies have a sales system that you can hack into to lower the prices so that the company loses money. (Raising is pointless since people just wouldn't buy the products and the price would be fixed later, so no loss)
It'll obviously have to be stuff you can't buy (meaning it's not hacking programs), so without admin access you see the stuff for sale but can't buy it, something like that.
-In missions to trace yourself, it's kinda unlogical that the Anonymous doesn't let you do the job without knowing you are the hacker. So how about in these missions you have to frame someone for the attack?
-How about making a Global News Server that shows news instead of the Uplink Internal Services? Uplink is just for the agents and normal people have to get news so it'd be better like this.
-You could buy shares in the stock market. When a company gets hacked and lose millions, its share prices go down and when their rival companies get hacked its share prices get higher, and thus you have an alternate way for getting more money (thought it shouldn't be A LOT) and a reason for targeted hacking
-Suggestion for a company: Pampers?

I think it's nice that it takes longer to increase your rank, that way the game is enjoyed for longer, what's left is to add higher level missions since it takes too long for lower ones to show up.

EDIT: Internal Services Machines could hold a record of workers log-ins (just their names and times, they're added along with their logs and nothing is showed about other logins, like yours). I thought of a higher level mission that uses this. Company A has a worker that is a hacker and asks him to work for company B and keep getting their files. Company B finds out about him and give you his name and one (or more) rival companies they have and asks you to find his personal computer and delete all files and shutdown the system. He uses a gateway to log onto company B system, so you have to go to the rival company, look for one of his logins (knowing his name) and check the time to check the log of that time and find his personal computer IP. If wanted, the mission can also ask to do the same for his gateway (destroy both his personal computer and gateway, making sure all files are deleted).
Another possibility is to make the mission ask to destroy the files on company A's file server (found in their Internal Services Machine's links). Since it has no admin pass, you have to find the password the hacker used by checking his emails on his PC, where the mission email is.
Can also find his PC IP checking the logs on his gateway.

Many people want virus attacks, here is my idea:
There are some types of virus you can buy, like one that just crashes the system like you normally do, one that links to a certain server and automatically copies all files to that server (for copy database missions or a mission that asks you to create that link), one that spreads to everybody who accesses the server, crashes their system deleting all files after a certain time and deletes itself (so that you aren't stopped from connecting there once it's over)
But the main idea is to have a program in the file server that scans for unauthorized files from time to time, and its useless to delete it because it's eventually reinstalled, so you have to use either a program that hides the virus (probably with different levels just like the Encrypter) or run the program on the console and use a more expensive program to spoof it (can only be done when it's running, would add one more use to the console) and only then you go back and copy the virus (since it'd be found if you copied it before) after the program is done running and spoofed, would be good if you could go back from the console without having to disconnect...
There can also be a virus you have to rename to look like a file (delete original file, copy the virus, use software to rename it, spoof the antivirus program since it would detect unauthorized software even if it has a fake name) so that it spreads to whoever opens the file
There can also be a mission to frame a user for a virus attack, where you copy the virus and use the console to run the program to find it then change logs to frame the user

By the way certain (or maybe all, not sure) frame user missions aren't working for me, I do the job and change the logs but the guy isn't caught (neither am I)

EDIT2: A new security system (like Password, VDPIN) that is a number code using a virtual keyboard (seen it in certain logins IRL).
-To get through it, use a software that gets the encrypted data (hashes) for the previous 6 inputs that happened before the last correct confirmation (which were from the admin) and show them in the program window (as hashes), then use another software -Hash Decrypter- on them to decrypt them into the numbers that were typed and then type them yourself
-Suggestion: The system could have 4 to 6 digits and once you input the numbers you have to click a Confirm button. The software to get the encrypted inputs always gets the last 6 number inputs, so if it's for example 123456 it was clearly a 6 digit number so you type the 6 and confirm. If it's something like 341234 you try to type 1234 and if it doesnt work try 341234.
This would involve certain thought and not just a click-crack
I think it's a nice system for bank accounts, similar to real life...

Extra: The Hash Decrypter could also work on password hashes in the records screen. Hashes would have different security levels, which probably AREN'T shown, and password ones are higher (especially bank account ones, these are highest level). After getting through all the security on a bank it's understandable that you can get the accounts there, it needs expensive software to get through the security.

EDIT3: A low level mission to get a worker fired from a company.
This needs worker accounts to be implemented, they have any usernames (perhaps related to their real names, like the first letters of each name). The accounts work only on the ISM (that's where they would work) and would be in the records too. Each company could have 4,5,10 workers, whatever you wish. Logging with these accounts, you can only use the fileserver and check the links. Also they don't trace you (unless you disabled some security system, which wouldn't be needed since the mission takes place in low level ISMs). Plus the passwords of worker accounts never change.
The mission would have you log with the account on the ISM using direct connection (NO bounces), delete a certain file and mentioned, and then log on as admin and modify the previous log (of direct connection) and put the IP of the guy you have to frame. If there's a single bounce they'll assume it was a hacker and the guy doesn't get fired. If you fail that, you fail the mission. It's quite simple and not hard.
Also after the mission is finished the account is closed because the guy is fired.
Assuming the Hash Decrypter I've suggested before is implemented, it would indeed give you all workers accounts on an ISM, so you would get easy access to the files or links, but assuming you have a hash decrypter you're no longer doing missions to delete/copy a file. And if you just need the links it's also pretty easy to just use an admin account, and the odds are hard that you already had a worker account in the company you have to hack.

Thought of another security system that could be in high security systems since you have to hack the admin's P. It requires the admin to run a key file to input a large 'password' (100 digits or more). You have to get that keyfile from the admin's PC, then on the security system you use a software to input the code from the file (since you can't run files...). Perhaps the software would have you first click the file and then the security system box where the number will be put. You could keep the key files in an auxiliary gateway in case you want to hack the same system/company later.

EDIT4: As useless as it might be, I have yet added more.
Had an idea for better versions of the password screen and password cracker (to be used in some mid security systems, really it's too easy to crack; maybe a little higher since it might take long to crack with a starter gateway)
The password screen for some systems would have an encrypted password. When you use the normal cracker it would give a big meaningless thing (like a hash) with 30 letters or so (make it have 3 lines for these). With that it's easy to identify when the password is encrypted. Of course nothing happens when the hash is given as the password, it has to be decrypted.
That could be with higher versions of password cracker. For example:
V2.0 after getting all digits it decrypts it to give the real password
V3.0 does the decrypting process as it finds the digits. The decrypting remains a little after the digits were found, and finally gives the password.
The v3.0 would be more expensive as it takes a much harder process, and is pretty faster than v2.0. If the password isn't encrypted they work like the normal one.
Downside is that with a not very good gateway it takes long to get the 30 digits. Nothing that can't be countered with a big bounce list. I think a 30 digit divided in 3 or 5 lines on the password cracker would look very good for an encrypted password.

EDIT5: Company funds. I've seen somewhere that it's weird for company administrators to have such poor bank accounts, so where is the company's money? I thought about that for some time and had a few ideas.
They are in the banks (when possible in their own bank) and don't mix with your money or a single person's money (would make it easier to get rich). Their cash is around millions, and their accounts are in a separate part from people's, they're under another menu just like Administration, Manage Existing Account, etc. They have more security systems. A virtual keyboard like I suggested before would be nice, tho if it existed for normal accounts (instead of an easy password) it'd look more like a real bank. It could also need a company code stored in, maybe, the company's gateway or any other system you can think of. A voice check on the company administrator would also be nice, just not sure if you can make him say something different from "I'm the system administrator..."
Plus, when you try to transfer money from one company to another a request is sent, to be answered by real people. You have to use a program to spoof it, and some time after that you begin being traced. Same could happen if you do nothing and the request is 'Denied'. Even more: The change logs aren't shown in the account like normal accounts, it's much safer: In the administrator menu. So far I've seen no use for it so there you go... Since tri-state VDPIN might take long to crack you might want to have it cracked before you transfer the money and then just have to type a password to get in. The company transfer logs have their own menu (not together with connection logs). You have to delete the transfer log and probably don't have to delete the log saying you logged on as admin since that just gives you away on InterNIC\first bounce. You might have to delete the transfer log in the receiver bank too.
If you don't delete the transfer log the money is given back, the receiver company is sued and you fail the mission (losing quite some rank because the company got sued). Maybe, if you want to, you can make them give you away as the hacker and in a few days they have you arrested and you lose...
Missions (high level) would ask you to transfer money from a company to theirs. If you wish, you can add an even higher level that's a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone. Transfer money from company A to B leaving the transfer logs, then from B to C (the one that hired you) and deleting those logs. Company B would be sued and C gets the money. That's harder and involves faster hacking.
Note these are hacks to go in the news. When you're successful, they can say a company had a big amount of funds gone from their bank account. If a company is sued that's also said in the news. If you want them to give you away, say something like 'they have revealed the identity of the hacker and he is currently being located to be arrested'. In a frame mission like the second case i suggested, company B claims they know nothing at all about that, they are indeed innocent.
Extra: The funds could somehow be connected with stocks and have missions to buy\sell stocks to try and ruin a company...
Extra2: Remember to lower the funds when a company "loses millions" when you destroy their research. If their funds go too low they bankrupt and the news say they'll be closing down, and their servers dont work anymore. Make sure missions have nothing to do with them anymore. (Think up something to do with storyline companies about that...)
My thoughts on company funds:
-Fix the logic problem in companies having no cash
-Add an use to bank Administration menu
-More high level missions\security systems
-A good use for voice analyser v2.0, you have to save voices from the company administrator and bank administrator (unless they're the same) for every bank you have to hack.
-Requires fast hacking

EDIT5.2: Not big, so edit 5.2... Had a small idea for a noob mission to replace a file with an edited one. First the guy asks you to steal a file from a server (ISM) and dump it into his fileserver. The next day you have to get a modified file (a file with the same file name plus _mod shows up in the fileserver), copy it to the ISM, delete the original there and rename the modified (with a software you'll have to create for this) to remove the _mod. That could be to steal and also mislead their project or to give them a virus or something.
Possibilities: After you dump the stolen file in the fileserver you could send a blank email to the guy that hired you indicating that the file was delivered, after that the one day or less time (probably less, a day takes too long; maybe some hours, they need to analyse the file) starts counting for the modded file to show up. Maybe when it shows up you can receive a blank email too... At least having to send an email would give a use to the send email function, which does nothing. You only answer the emails to complete missions.
Higher levels of this mission are fitting for introducing antivirus you have to spoof.

EDIT6: Yeah i just take a walk and begin thinking up these ideas...
Another high-level addition. This one might go for very high level companies or storyline missions like my 2 new systems (monitoring\lifting) idea in another post. Please note most new ideas I have include my old ideas like security systems...

Before I get to the main idea, there is one small suggestion needed for this: Know when you enter the records page on a ISM or InterNIC, click a link and you get directly connected there? Well, logically, if you're connecting from ISM\InterNIC it should be a bounce connection. For example if you connected directly to InterNIC and clicked a link, there would be a bounce Gateway>InterNIC>system. The system you selected added to the end of the bounce you had before. If you had a bounced connection, it would have all your previous bounces. Like: Gateway>bounces>ISM>system

An Internal Connections Web for a company. Similar to a LAN, it involves all systems of a company, in a security to let only authorized people in. First, these companies have free access for Public Access Server, ISM, Access Terminals, Network Access Server and (if made) Sales System as suggested by darkknight and added in my quick suggestions. These are the lowest security systems and meant to be easily accessed by public and workers, so it's natural. Higher level systems are behind "Gate" systems. There are at most 2 gates. I suck at names so this is open for suggestions: The second one is either Primary Gate or Main gate, and the first (lower one) would be either Secondary or something else... give ideas after reading. Banks aren't in their Connections Web.

The Gates are indeed systems like ISM and etc, but are only accessible following the connection, as I'll explain soon. Systems behind the gates (gateway, mainframe, etc; under the gates' security) give a "Could not establish connection" message when you try to connect to them, even if you bounced through their systems. They will only accept connections authorized by the Gates.

As the name says, the internal systems of the company are in a "web" (not variable like LANs tho). After you connect to ISM or access terminal (this won't work with public access\sales system)
you have to connect to the secondary gate. How? There are 2 ways you could make this in the game:
-A HUD upgrade that lets you view the internal connections web and click the icon of the next system to connect to it, similar to a LAN.
-A menu together with records, file server, etc. called Connect. Clicking it would show the connections web and you click the icon of the system you have to connect to (in this case the secondary gate).
I recommend the second one, because that's how workers would access the higher level systems. Access Terminal and ISM would have the Connect menu and from it you can connect to ISM\AT\PAS\Sales System\2ndary Gate. However, after you connect to either Access Terminal or Public Access Server you can't go back because they don't have a Connect menu (same goes for Network Access Server but because it's rare i won't mention it again).
Note that it's easier to connect using Access Terminal because you don't get traced for using admin account, you just click the Connect menu. However, that won't mattter much, because...

If you got into the ISM and are being traced for using admin, if you connect to another system using Connect the trace stops. After you pass the Secondary Gate, the trace won't stop. That's a feature of the Gate security system.

Once you get into the Secondary Gate, it asks you for your worker username. Pass too, if you wish. Read my worker accounts suggestion in EDIT3 if you need. You can just use the username of a worker you can see in the ISM (according to my ideas above). If you need the pass too you'll need to either try the password cracker on ISM (is bad if you begin being traced at 2nd gate) or use Hash Decrypter in the ISM where his account is shown with username and encrypted password.
After you type in the username\pass (note there's no admin login for this) the connection web window is shown again. Now you're at the gate and you can connect to Gateway, File Server, Name Server, my Lifting Server, Monitoring Server (if made), and a Backup Server I'll talk about in the next edit. You can also connect straight to the Primary Gate, but unless you're going for the LAN you'll hack the Gateway before. (If LAN is also protected by gateway sorry haven't played in a while)

Sorry I'll repeat a previous suggestion because it's very useful for missions with an Internal Connections Web like this: Put some button to return from the Console to the previous menus. Can't afford to reconnect here.

The Primary Gate is literally for authorized personnel only. You need to type in an Authorization Key. How the hell do you get that? There are 2 main possibilities: The key is either in a file in some PC and you have to use a software on it to get the key code, or you have to ask the administrator to make one.
I'll start with the possibilities for a key in a file:
-A few of the workers in the ISM could have it, you can hack their PCs randomly and if you're lucky you'll find it.
-The System Administrator has it on his PC for sure.
As for asking the administrator for a key, is something new. You have to send him an email with the subject "Authorisation Key Request" or something like that. The message better be blank. But he won't answer anyone tho... You'll have to edit the email menu to make you able to set a different email than your real one, either normally or with a software. What email to set? The MANAGING DIRECTOR. Yes the other guy in Public Access Server nobody evern remembers. The PAS has his phone as well as his email, so type in his email and send the request to the administrator.
5 or 10 minutes later the administrator will answer it with the key, and you have to hack the managing director's PC to check the email. If you take too long (half a hour or a hour) the email will be deleted. Note that after that time plus 5 or 10 minutes the key will be rendered INVALID so you have to get to the Primary Gate before that. (The director calls the administrator and asks him about the email and the administrator cancels the key) You'll have to get this key before you start the actual hack like this. After you pass the Primary Gate, however, you don't get disconnected when the key is rendered invalid.
I like the email thing because it adds an use to email (besides the one in EDIT5.2) and the Managing Director.

Finally after you pass the Primary Gate you can hack the LAN or Mainframe and do your thing =)

It looks long but in the actual hack would be faster... If the mission is made the hardest possible might be worth 100.000. Sure a mission I'd like to try =D
Thank you for your time

EDIT6.2:There was a problem with having an Internal Connections Web with a Monitoring Server as in my other post. You can only get to the Secondary Gate through an Access Terminal, because you cant hack the ISM while the Monitoring Server is up. But if you can't hack the ISM, you can't get a worker login and pass to get through the gate. I thought of some solutions that would have to be made possible:
-If you only need the login (no pass) you'll have to find someone who works in the corporation. If the company has a bank, all of its workers use it. The bank is outside of the Connections Web and Monitoring Server, so you can crack the admin menu, decrypt the hashes for passwords of some accounts, write them down and get into them to find the name of the people. The login they have in the ISM and gates, as I stated in old edits, is a combination of the first letters of his name (IE: Ed Beterige - edbet), so once you have a name you try and guess the login (doesn't get you traced). If it doesn't have a bank, perhaps you have to hack the PC of the Managing Director and he has the list of workers?
-If you also need the pass, the only way I can think of is to hack the guy's PC and the admin pass there will be the same as in the corp.... This takes longer because you have to hack the PCs of everybody you're going to try, unless you get lucky and get it right on the first shot.

Yes these might seem difficult... but I think they look more like how real hackers act, finding the login\password. Suggestion: I remember some Security in the Accounts or Records page in bank\ISM that shows the accounts. Perhaps the workers have security 2 and other people have security 1? That way you'd know who is a worker and add an use to that... Just a thought.

EDIT7:OK I'll talk about the Backup Server now. I noticed since I was a noob that missions to delete a file say "delete this file and all backups" but there are never backups so I thought of this.

The Backup Server is a big fileserver has all files from all systems of the company. If a file is deleted on a system and it exists on the Backup Server it will be put back after some minutes (unless you replaced the file like the replace file mission in EDIT5.2). Also if a file is deleted in the Backup Server and exists in their systems it's put back in the backup. You can't crash the backup server, it's only a file server with an admin and maybe some other security system. Maybe (depends on the company level) it would have just a Sentry, no Monitor.

Missions to delete a file that have a backup server pay more. You have to delete the file in the system and then go to the Backup Server to delete it there too before it can be replaced. It's kind of a noob mission that needs to get through the Sentry. If you want, there can be lower ones where the Backup Server doesn't even have a Sentry. If you only deleted the file in the main system and try to finish the mission it doesn't work, you have to delete the backup too.

I'm not sure if different systems (like ISM, Gateway and Mainframe) have the same files. If they do, unless you delete it in all of them it'll be put back in the Backup Server, and a noob can't hack the Gateway... So you'll have to make all systems have different files.

Suggestion: In a mission to delete files from a mainframe and crash it with a company that has the Internal Connections Web and maybe Lifting\Monitoring systems too, it might take too long to get to the Backup Server. So if you want you can make the Backup Server crashable via a console or... a virus. Even with PC hack if you want.
It would be interesting to introduce antivirus in later levels of a noob mission to delete a file with a backup server, for that you'll have to make a console in it. Either way most of the decisions are up to you, I just give the main idea.

EDIT8: I'm bad with names, so something called Internal Security Systems, Services, Software or something like that. It gets boring (and repetitive) just using 6 bypassers whenever you get in a system, so this would lower the amount of systems to bypass like that by putting them in another HUD upgrade.

So the idea is this: The systems you see in the Connection Analysis are the ones between your connection and the remote host. The ones under Internal Security Systems are IN the computer, these are to protect files and stuff like that. Now I'm not sure how to arrange them, the Proxy (blocks from editing data in GCD-like systems), Bandwidth Monitor (blocks from cracking the password) and Sentry (spoofs hacker into believing he deleted the files) will most certainly stay under Connection Analysis.

Monitor I'm not quite sure, because it checks for suspicious activities in the host. If Encryption (don't know what it does) is set to encrypt the password like in EDIT4 encrypted password suggestion, it'd go under Connection Analysis too. The Firewall sounds like it protects the files, so it's more likely to be found in the computer, but that means lower level missions wouldn't have it because the software to get to it would be expensive.

There could be one in the Internal Security Systems that locks the fileserver in certain systems (beware to not put it in the first mainframe missions, PC software is expensive enough for these). There could also be a System Restore, that restores the deleted files when the system reboots (more advanced version of the Sentry). Also there is the Tracer, the thing that traces you once they detect suspicious activity.

Well you need a HUD upgrade to see the Internal Security Systems. Currently I suggested Firewall, Fileserver Lock (name suggestions plz), System Restore and Tracer. They all have levels like the Connection Analysis ones. I only know that the first 3 ones would have to be turned off, maybe with specific software, but the Tracer has two things under it: Detector and Connection Trace (again, name suggestions appreciated), both with their levels and they are individually cracked. The Detector is what detects suspicious activity to start tracing, and you can spoof it so it doesn't detect anything you do from now on. The Connection Trace is what traces you. Once you're already being traced, spoofing the Detector does nothing, you can use a software on the Connection Trace to reboot it (takes a little time, maybe not much affected by your gateway since it happens in the host), and if you have the Detector spoofed it won't restart tracing you.

The software for cracking the Tracer is more expensive than the rest. By the time you have all that you probably have a huge bounce list with 500+ seconds so it won't matter that much. Will be good if you can get it earlier. Also note even if you're not being traced the sys admin can still kick you. Plus, in high level missions with Monitoring Server, Internal Connections Web what matters the most is other times, like the time it takes for the Monitoring Server to be back up and the time you have to get through the Primary Gate, but in a high level hack with a powerful Internal Connections Web it'd be helpful to restart the trace in case 500 seconds aren't enough.

I'm not sure if it's a bug but after you crash the Gateway when you log on the Mainframe you begin being traced right away. You could reboot the Tracer if you don't have a big enough bounce list...

Another suggestion: A LAN system called Alarm, that monitors a certain other system in the LAN and if you don't turn off the alarm if you get in the protected system it sounds off, trace starts and sys admin logs on to look for you.

Another suggestion_2: Other hackers also have a gateway (like you) and always connect from their PC to them and then to the web. Anything else you want to do with this, think up.

Another suggestion_3: A Web Security System in companies that has security systems only and they work for their entire web... That could be a trap for some hackers. I don't remember quite well the things in game, been long since I played... But if the Name Server doesn't need admin access to look at the servers, when you think there's a Web Security System in a company you go to it and look up for its name to find the IP. But I think it needs admin pass, and since the Web Security System's bandwidth monitor will block you from getting into name server and ISM, its IP will have to be on InterNIC. This system would be after the Secondary Gate in an Internal Connections Web.

EDIT8.2: When a virus attacks, it's quite not probable that it can take down any system. Perhaps systems could have an Internal Security System called Virus Shield, that has a level and if the virus attacking is equal or lower than that it doesn't take effect. If you disable the shield, however, you can activate the virus but its effect will only work while the shield is down (if it turns off the system you have to wait until it's finished and log off along with the system). You should try to balance the amount of systems in Connection Analysis and Internal Security Systems, so if there are more ISS than CA you can put the Monitor (since I dunno where to place it) in the Connection Analysis. One more addition: If ISS doesn't sound good, you might prefer IDS for Internal Defence Systems. One more one more addition: You could also buy a Virus Shield for yourself...

EDIT8.3: Actually to get into the Internal Security Systems it might be interesting that, at least in high level companies\systems, you have to get through some security that doesn't ask for information, like the Elliptic Curve System (which is the one you use Decipher for). It's just that, login should require information, and that is meant to be cracked, so how do admins log in without cracking it? Same goes for VDPIN I guess, so maybe for logging in you would just have securities that require information to prove you're the admin, while cracking into a kind of Internal Security Systems would require some steps of manual cracking. Though, all this stuff would most likely require a big rewriting of the game progress.

EDIT9: Been a while since I had any ideas, this one isn't anything big. Also there's a problem I'll explain in the end. It's basically a portable data hardware (like a pen drive or a CD, but pen drive is simpler to use, just insert and do stuff), feel free to think of a name.

Either a pen drive or a CD, you can buy as many as you want but only have 1 (or maybe 2) in the computer at one time, however you can switch them whenever you want. They're more expensive when they can hold more data, obviously. The amount of slots for them in a gateway might also be different with different gateways. If you want you can also have to buy the slots (for example, a CD reader), but there is a max amount of slots a gateway can have.

The most expensive drivers could hold 8-10 gigaquads, up to you to decide. They can clean some of your space, since you can put a few programs in it and run them if the drive is in the gateway. You can also switch drives, but putting lots of programs into lots of drives would be expensive cos you need to buy lots of drives, and the time you take to switch the drives would count when doing a mission, so it'd be best to throw a pack of programs in a drive that you use in certain missions, some kind of planning (which would be interesting).

They can also help with copy a database missions, tho you need the most expensive drivers for holding the files, and some files are too large to fit in a driver (if I recall there are 11 and 12 gigaquads ones? Been very long since I touched Uplink - yes I know I use lots of parenthesis). It'd be nice if you can't fit the largest of these files in a drive, you'd have to put them in your real memory. Still, put in a drive, switch drive, put another one in this drive, switch... Might need some money to buy expensive drivers.

The problem is... These are normally drivers you put in your real computer, and your data -programs etc- is in the gateway. It wouldn't make much sense to put a CD/pen drive in your computer and the data shows in your gateway, unless its a special technology. Another possibility is that they're stored in your gateway and have a mechanism to be plugged in... or something like that. I like the overall idea since it adds some more planning and a new action to the game.

EDIT9.2: A possible mission with the portable drive. When you hack into a PC there's a menu to access a portable drive that's connected to the computer (like a small file server). The company wants you to get a top secret key file from a certain guy (perhaps an administrator or managing director) has in his portable drive. Obviously he doesnt keep it plugged in his comp or it'd be pointless - he only plugs it when he's going to use it, but since that'd give you only a few minutes to hack the PC and get the file, the company hires a spy to break into his house while he's out and plug in the drive - you'll have 10-30 minutes (may depend on the difficulty, you decide) to get the file. The time is set on the mission, so it's a time-based mission and if time is over you fail it.

Now if you're a little smart you're probably asking: Why doesn't the spy plug in the drive and copy the file himself or steal the drive? Well... let's find excuses! Maybe the guy doesn't know how to hack or system administrator\managing director PCs have higher security than normal and they need a specialized hacker to deal with it. As for stealing... how about it has a self-destruction device? XD

EDIT10: Yet another useless idea, this time a storyline mission to hack the Secret Service.

First some company tells you they want the files from the Secret Service (who wouldn't?), they give you the name of a guy that works for FBI, and want you to find the FBI server. That's the first mission.

You just have to hack into the guy's PC, examine the logs, write down some IPs the guy connects to and try to find out which is the FBI one. When you log onto the FBI server, it only shows words like "broken link" or whatever else you think of. Truth is, to get in you need a special file from the worker's PC, an application that works as an ID. Just get it and run it (somehow) and it shows the screen with the name FBI and maybe logo like in the FBI mod. Once in that screen, just answer the E-Mail typing the IP of the server and mailing the key file. The first mission is done.

Some days after they've finished analysing\scouting, they say they managed to track down the FBI workers by analysing logs, and found out a few of them probably log onto the Secret Service Server by bouncing through FBI server and a common system, a kind of "gate" system that DOESN'T RECORD ANY LOGS, meaning you can't get the Secret Service IP directly from it. It's a security system. Also the company doesn't say it but the Secret Server passive trace starts from the FBI server, since the only logs accepted are bounced through FBI>gate>SS. Now the company *doesnt know what to do* wants you to make your way into the Secret Service system.

You can get the IP by putting a virus in the SS worker's PC that traces his connection and mails you of his bounces.

The SS server would have a similar disguise (or maybe be disguised as a company game server?) and you need a key file from the worker. Now I'd recommend the suggestion from edit 9.2, he has it in his portable drive. However, here the company can't send a spy to get the drive because, first, the guy would probably carry it with him all the time, second, because you can't email the company and say that's the SS server if you can't prove it is.

The idea now might seem boring to most people but I think it's more or less like how real hacking sounds like. As soon as you receive an E-Mail from your virus saying the guy's PC has connected through FBI>gate>SS you have to hack the guy's PC WITHOUT GETTING TRACED (if you do the guy immediately disconnects from SS and plugs off his portable drive) and copy the ID file. You have about 5 minutes before he plugs off his portable drive. Would be interesting if his PC had a little more security... still not crazy to make it impossible to get the file in time.

Once you use the file in the -disguised- Secret Service server, you get the main login screen and you should just send Email to the company saying the IP and sending the file.

Some time after that (a hour would do) they send you an Email saying the Secret Service IP changed, for security measures probably. They can't scout it, and they ask you to get ALL the files from their file server. Now this is the 3rd and last mission. You'll have to get the IP again and this time hack in the Secret Service (highest security) and get the files in less than half a hour, which is the time they take to disconnect you and change the IP. This time is far longer than the trace, so perhaps the system is... special somehow LAN-like or internal connections web-like, something fun, and you have to hack the tracer to stop the trace or you won't have time... would be fun if the tracer would be brought back up, would look like a battle with the secret service... XD

A few more suggestions for the mission: would be logical if not only the SS IP changed but also the IDs, however I bet most people wouldn't like having to get them back. Plus, if you get traced in the SS worker's PC while he has the portable drive on the key would change too. Also (I also say lots of alsos) it'd be cheap if you could use the gate in your bounce list for other hacks since you couldn't be passive traced, so perhaps it only doesn't keep logs that are related to the FBI. Also note if you use FBI>gate>SS (by keeping the virus in the SS worker's PC you can constantly know the SS IP) in your bounce list the SS will know and passive trace you themselves. Another interesting thing would be if in the FBI and SS servers the Worker List menus (from my suggestions...) would be a trap that puts you in a "Locked" situation where you can't go back and have to log off.

Another important thing is that the SS doesn't take long to start passive tracing you since they don't hire a hacker to do it - they do it themselves.

3 more mission concepts:
The first 2 have a similar environment.
-A company got information that a rival company hired a hacker to steal a key file, and on their conversation they found out which is the file and when he will hack, and want you to put a temporary virus on the file for him to get it and spread it to the rival company. So a few minutes before the time you copy the file to your system (a backup) and uses a virus that mixes with the original. Some minutes later, after the hacker got the file (maybe you can check logs) you have to delete the one with the virus and put back the original one. Once the news say a company has been struck down by a virus attack (the E-Mail doesn't say what is the company but the news do) you can complete the mission, assuming you put back the original file.

-A company got information that a rival company hired a hacker to do something on their ISM, found out the hacking time on their conversation and want you to stop the hacker's action and give them his name. It's better if this is a low level mission placed in a low level company. Also you might want a big bounce list. A minute before the hack, get on the ISM's console and use the command to block all incoming connections. That should last 5 to 10 minutes, and the hacker will fail to connect. If you have a big enough bounce list, you can wait for him to do so. If not, try to log back on right after the server is back up (the hacker will take like 5 minutes more to retry) and check the logs for Connection blocked from <IP>. Just make that into a link to get the guy's name and write it in the E-Mail. Would be a mission to introduce the command to block connections.

-Something like "We recently hired a hacker to act as a spy against our rival, but we suspect him to be a double spy stealing our files. We want you to confirm that, and if that's the case, place a virus in the files that will spread to the company." This mission is of a higher level as it requires PC hack. The hacker is always guilty. They give you his name, you can get his IP by using Lookup on the company's ISM logs. Then get into his PC and place a virus on at least one stolen file. Also check his logs to find out the company he's working for (right after his log to the ISM there will be a log to his company's fileserver). Get into the file server and delete the file that you placed the virus on. At one point, maybe a hour or half a hour later, he'll copy the file back, now with the virus, and you activate it remotely. You can check the fileserver after a hour to see if he copied the file already. Once the news say the company was struck down by a virus you can complete the mission.

EDIT11: Made ziz even longer! This is actually a big addition to the Internal Security Systems from EDITS 8 and 8.3... I just made EDIT8.3 and think having some extra cracking to turn off these security systems might be too much, though turning off the tracer might be worth it. But again, you could only get there at high level, and all that cracking just for this is kinda weird, so...

Following the idea of having non-identity cracks to get in, you'd have the Elliptic Curve System and VDPIN to crack through (unless you think up more) to the ISS. How about, after getting in there you can use a program to force crack deeper, it decodes a bunch of values and in the end you type a value, like 3 numbers, that refer to the place you want to go to. There could be, like, 4 different numbers for the locations, which would be the ISS, the admin login screen (starter one), hard data and operational system data. The first two most likely wouldnt be used, because from ISS you could 'go back' to the first screen.

The hard data is, as it says, the hard part of the data, which would be values for the data stored in the system PLUS security systems data. Here you could (with a software maybe) input a command code for deleting files, and with this you can delete the security systems, which are, of course, re-added later, though the corp loses some money. I don't think copying would be useful unless you want to copy the security system... Thing is, with this 'delete security system' there could be a mission to help give credit to a small hacker by deleting the security so he can crash a defenseless big system.

Operational System, like the hard data, should take some time to load the values. I can't think of anything else to do here besides deleting it, maybe you could put a virus to mix with the data. Perhaps make a Lifting Server not work... Which would only be noticed after a system of the company has been taken down and loaded back up. Either way, these would be a way to hack some stuff without gaining access, through harder cracking.

I just happen to like the idea for the mission to give credit to a small hacker. Another possible thing to do would be to disable the tracer, copy a security system data and mail it to whoever makes bypassers so they can make a bypasser version that can bypass that...

-Storyline mission concept:
If you can crash a system without gaining access, you could crack the government system which doesn't have an admin. So there could be a storyline (or not) mission to get a top secret file from the government LAN or Mainframe, and would be interesting if they weren't in the ISM records. To find them you'd have to crash the ISM, wait for the Lifting System to take it back up, then check the logs to see the connection from the Lifting System and get its IP, get into it and get the connection logs it has, which would have all the government systems. It would be a new way to get the systems other than the records, might be interesting for a storyline mission. Once you can get to the mainframe you could use the no-access cracking to steal many files till you get the one you want. Make sure the government doesn't have a monitoring server though.

I know my last suggestions are getting a bit forced... So I'm not surprised if they're utterly rejected. Just out of ideas.
My favorite is edit 2 (Virtual Keyboard)

By the way, I'm still adding to the quick suggestions in the beginning of the post.

If I have any more ideas I'll add to this post

Last edited by Zephiros on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 29 times in total.

Post subject:Re: My suggestions
PostPosted:Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:38 pm 

I think a lot of these ideas are scattered around the forum, I have one idea to add, hack into a stores records and change prices, or hack a system that controls land owned by who ever and change that name and help someone steal the house/business.

Post subject:Re: Re: My suggestions
PostPosted:Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:18 pm 

Yes I know many ideas have already been said, but I picked some that haven't yet been made and put in a new recent post along with the ideas I had (dunno if all have been thought before, just said the ideas that came to mind)

Also darkknight that's a nice suggestion, have some companies have a sales system that you can hack into to lower the prices so that the company loses money. (Raising is pointless since people just wouldn't buy the products and the price would be fixed later, so no loss)
It'll obviously have to be stuff you can't buy (meaning it's not hacking programs), so without admin access you see the stuff for sale but can't buy it, something like that

also i noticed there is one -ONE- girl in the game =O she was named <ker-snip -Miah> and i saw it when GCD was browsing the pictures. When i phoned her it had a man's voice, so I had her arrested for doing something with parole, stealing a cookie and having a weird voice. The news said a MAN was arrested
If more girls are added to the game, can make the news say woman instead when one is arrested?

PostPosted:Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:51 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Yeah, Miah's working on the girl issue... he needs more wimminz first, though.

And AFAIK, he can't emulate female voices.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:04 pm 

I know its been worked on, I meant to ask if it's possible to make the news check if its a man or woman and say "a woman has been arrested" or "a man has been arrested"

also just to know, are there currently any missions above the "frame a person" missions? i got to rank 5 again and there's nothing left to do, guess i'll be playing uplink when the next release comes

PostPosted:Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:25 pm 

Had an idea for a high level mission, edited the first post.

Also added an idea for a security system

PostPosted:Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:37 pm 

Still updating the main post with my small ideas, had an idea for another security system and a low lever mission.

Not sure if I should keep adding my ideas here or make new posts for them...

PostPosted:Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 pm 

An opinion: I liked the new security systems implemented in Onlink, Bandwidth Monitor is nice, I'm just not sure about the Encryption and Sentry... It's hard to tell what each of them does, both stop you from editing/deleting the files... Isn't that the same as a proxy? That's just more than one security system doing the same thing, to me it gets tiring to use so many bypassers (and also more expensive)
Another opinion, Encryption sounds better for what the Bandwidth Monitor does... It stops you from cracking the password, sounds like Encryption to me. Or perhaps, just perhaps, the Encryption would do what I descrybed as encrypted passwords in my last edit. (That means you can either bypass it or, if short on funds, use a higher level password breaker that takes a little longer to get through it)

PostPosted:Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:01 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
An opinion: I liked the new security systems implemented in Onlink, Bandwidth Monitor is nice, I'm just not sure about the Encryption and Sentry... It's hard to tell what each of them does, both stop you from editing/deleting the files... Isn't that the same as a proxy? That's just more than one security system doing the same thing, to me it gets tiring to use so many bypassers (and also more expensive)
Though we're getting offtopic here...

I can't recall what Encryption does, but Sentry spoofs the hacker into believing that she/he/it has altered files on the system, but in reality, they have not. Though the file server will show files having been deleted, logging out of and then back onto the system will show otherwise. Sentry does not actively impede a hacker like a Proxy does.

Now, what I've noticed is that Proxy and Firewall seem to behave indetically to one another... shouldn't a Firewall prevent a user from adding/deleting/copying files, while a Proxy should prevent a user from doing the same to data (such as a person's crimes on the GCD)?

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:44 am 

Sorry a mistake, I mean the FIREWALL stops you from deleting files, Proxy prevents you from editing, but I think it also blocks deleting so they're almost the same thing. Maybe the Proxy should only work for editing data in GCD-like systems, not in fileservers, these use Firewall. That would be better for the player's improvement.
OK the Sentry spoof is nice. Now about the Encryption...? What could it possibly be doing?
And can't there be mid-level systems that don't have all 6? At one point I have to jump from proxy disable to all 6 bypassers.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:54 am 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
Zephiros those were all great ideas for updates to the game, alot of them I have been wanting to do for years. I have been trying to prep some code to add an entire transit system in the game.

Have thge ability to hack into the grid system for stop lights & secuirty cameras , also drawbridge, subway, and GPS tap's. All sorts of small transit missions and tools to go with it, but i never thought the airport idea you suggested in so much detail.

Also another add-on I would love to work on is an entire grading level for the character you play, no not the uplink rating, but a Black Hat...Grey...White Hat Hacker, having the post board offer drug smuggling missions, where you clear truckloads to bypass the "Chicken Coops" with there Eazy-Passes... Or phone, cable tv, and FM/AM-Band Freq Taps...Also get people fired in political or civilian jobs for some of the first missions 'to up your money to get all the software you'll need to hack the higher level missions at the start of the game.

All of that would increase your Black Hat level , and add White Hat missions also, maybe some big ones at the end , and have a system to classify you in what kinda hacker you are throughout the game.

AND making the mouse scroll wheel work in all the lists, including the stock market..

**Note I Just found ya'll and onlink a few days ago, so if any of my suggestions are already in 'onlink or have been talked about in this fourm, I apoligize.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:44 pm 

Well I haven't gotten myself into big ideas that require a lot of coding and much more graphics like hacking physical cameras, I do think these are very cool things I'd like to play but there are so many things to be done my ideas would hardly be made by 0.1.5 (which will be 2 years from now?), so I'm focusing on smaller things so that more of them can be done to make the game cooler (and also some are to fix the gap where you need to hack a bank to move on)
Quote:
All of that would increase your Black Hat level , and add White Hat missions also, maybe some big ones at the end , and have a system to classify you in what kinda hacker you are throughout the game.
Isn't that the same as the Neuromancer system? I just did all missions so my neuro ranking didn't bother me at all tho...

Btw I added another idea to the main post - company funds.

Edit: I added a small idea to the main post: file replace mission

Last edited by Zephiros on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
The Company Funds addition to the post was great. I really liked where you added the Stock Market to the whole deal as well. I've always felt the companies in the game should play a bigger role, than just a couple of companies. Having implented this idea would also open up alot more ideas for more missions, and differnt secruity systems.

And for the Neuromancer system, will still be mainly used, but will be split into two differnt styles, A: bad hacker or B: good hacker. Missions, storyline, and software available to you is reflected by which style you are leaning towards more.

That would mean alot of code hacking to do, and alot new missions. Most of my suggestions i've had with me for a few years, and they have just grown into 6 differnt versions of the game :? But I hope your idea with the 'Company Funds' add-in gets looked at, would be a great addition.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:30 pm 

Okay, big edit on the main post. Added an idea for an Internal Connections Web for high level companies. I think I might have overdone on the difficulty now.... If I forgot any systems on it, tell me please.

Also don't miss EDIT5.2, a small one with an idea for a noob mission to replace a file.

Edit: Added idea for Backup Server and something to the Quick Suggestions

PostPosted:Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:26 pm 

Added an idea for Internal Security Systems, plus 3 smaller ideas.

Sorry that my new ideas are based on and added to my old ideas... ^^"
Sorry that the main post is so big...^^"