Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Bouncing
PostPosted:Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:12 am 
Literally Nine

The Towers of Hanoi is tedious, repetitive, and stupid. That is why Java teachers use it in programming examples.

Pipes is lame and hardly original.

I need fresh things. I would like to implement the dreaded infinity chip, but it's going to take a lot of work to figure out a way to have more than a few static ones flying about.

For those of you who never heard of this demonspawn, I would suggest checking this page from Onlink's prehistory.

PostPosted:Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:57 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
That...

Ow.

Have a not-impossible-to-solve one? I'd like to take a crack at it.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:03 am 
Organ Donor

Yeah that looks a little ridiculous. Man, with all the people complaining about VDPIN...just wait until this goes in...

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:21 pm 
Literally Nine

The thing is that I only have 2 or 3 viable chips right now. I can't figure out a *clean* way to make this work. I'm working on it, though.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:54 am 

Arent LAN's basicly a PIPE game?

You enter the "pipe network" and work your way towards the goal while a flow of "sewage" follows you and tries to catch up.

contra.

You enter the "LAN" and work your way towards the mainframe while the admin follows you and tries to catch up.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Arent LAN's basicly a PIPE game?

You enter the "pipe network" and work your way towards the goal while a flow of "sewage" follows you and tries to catch up.

contra.

You enter the "LAN" and work your way towards the mainframe while the admin follows you and tries to catch up.
Rr, that's only true if you aren't using a monitor bypass. If you are, the tracing only starts when you have already reached your goal: the main server.

Anyways, even a LAN doesn't require that much thinking. The only thing which might take a while to figure out is when and where to use the LAN Spoof (And even it needs to be figured out only once, since all systems are similar in that matter). IMO anyway. Custom LANs are an exception of course.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:34 am 

Quote:
The thing is that I only have 2 or 3 viable chips right now. I can't figure out a *clean* way to make this work. I'm working on it, though.
Interesting. You mean a efficient generator that each puzzle contains a legal route with certain length.

PostPosted:Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:27 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I'm too lazy to make a bounce path that goes through all the servers listed on InterNIC and all the telephones listed on the International Telephone Database. D':
I do think an autobouncer would make it a little more genuine... In a real life situation like this, a hacker would never use exactly the same bounces each time. So I think an autobouncer would add to the 'hacking experience' if nothing else.
Also, such a thing could be coded so that you wouldn't lose your logons to certain machines so quickly if the previous bounce point is different each time...
Guess it's time to get somewhat back to the original topic, shall we?

The one thing that always frustrated me about bouncing was the number of white dots on the map. Blending with the green dots for active missions, the orange dots of marked targets and the lines drawn by any of the interconnections at times it's almost impossible to spot out and reroute to a certain server you would like to connect to. So in the end I always end up dialing the server first remembering it's position loading the saved bounce and try to remember where that target was ... let's just say I can't imagine hackers in the real world working like that not to mention the game plays in some not quite so distant "future".

An autobounce solves this problem straight away (as there is no more need to zoom in and out of the deep blue sea filled with colorful dots to find the certain server you accidently unchecked instead of mark prior to opening the map to set up the bounce ...).

Btw I somehow always end up with at least 3 or 4 servers lying far too close to each other on the map (meaning it's impossible to bounce to a specific or through both of the servers without unbouncing the other in the process, zooming in until I can see the subatomic particles the city's pavement consists of, or unchecking either of them from the list) ... While it may be genuine that two servers are located in the exact same building and the exact same room just over one another on different stories, I guess you get the point aye?