Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Multiplayer Ideas
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:35 pm 

Okay, before you start flaming...
http://www.onlink-mod.net/modules/forum ... php?t=1043

It was implied by Miah that we are free to discuss :P (even though they might not pay attention to our discussion...).

So... start posting your ideas... I guess... try to keep them orderly though.

My Ideas:
*TODO*

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:41 pm 

Well, I think we should start simple, do something we would do if we ever get to multi player - start on High scores, then go onto a true in game "MSN" that doesn't use the IRC (or just make the IRC into a window and use private messaging already built into IRC.) then we can go a little more advanced like have the other players names in the databases (eg.academic), done make it real time MMO just yet, make it like "hey you computer is connected to the internet want me to collect player data from Onlink.net?"

And - I was just interested - other then "too much work" and "not enough money" or "too early in beta stages" what is keeping you from making it multi-player?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:54 pm 

Well, not to speak for the Onlink team, but I think they are trying to take things a little slower, and work on one thing at a time. (I think ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:47 pm 

@Darkknight512 Adding in multiplayer is inherently difficult in a singleplayer game. Basically it would require servers to host a massive player network, the network would also have to be maintained, there is no Uplink Online groundwork to use. Its simply not feasible to have a central server without a lot more funds, so I'm guessing the best way to implement it would involve P2P hosting similar to LimeWire or Kazaa with supernodes and whatnot. I'm guessing because of the complexity of adding in an online engine, be it P2P centralized or something entirely different that would be a long way off.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 pm 

actually gwanky what you can have is peers running as servers to handle connections but the data can be stored in a central MySQL database
http://www.freemysql.net

Post subject:
PostPosted:Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:36 pm 

I like Gwanky's thought about a centralized tracker. It really wouldn't need to be particularly beefy, either, considering the level of abstraction in the hacking engine of the game.

Obviously, the larger the number of people in the game at one time, the more processing is required, but there might be a way to distribute that processing to the clients; perhaps by assigning each client X number of in-game servers to "host," along with the agent PC. At that point, the server would merely have to keep track of which servers were being emulated by which client, and the specs for each of the machines, including the agent gateway, to prevent end-client hacking. Granted, you wouldn't be able to speed up time anymore, but this would be a small price to pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:47 am 

I've got a server that I'd gladly share to host an online version of the game... ChaosR has one too :D.

It wouldn't be that hard, simple socket connections and data transfers would be suffice for a simple ranking system/chatting system. I did a small socket program before, it never worked as I never really tested it properly, but I think I know a bit (a bit...)to know how simple a simple mod like that could be (okay, I think I'm starting to trail off, so I'm gonna stop writing this paragraph now...).

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:37 pm 

i know how to make a simple C++ client & server
all it would need is to have security features implemented (like passwords and such)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:56 pm 

An interesting idea, is the supernode function employed by Kazaa. It is somewhere between a client server, and a dedicated server. Basically if you have the extra bandwith, you check off "Supernode" option and your computer will be employed, transparently of course, as a server.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:00 pm 

have any of you guys ever watched a tv show called numb3rs
in it they said something about mirror sites to take some strain from websites and mmog's maybe it could be applied for this game like have multiple servers running the same game that way it could handle all the players of this game at once and as for cheating have punkbuster and nonpunkbuster servers so whoever wants to cheat can w/o being banned for it and two sql servers setup one for punkbuster and one for nonpunkbuster something like battlefield

i agree with the downloadable client i think it could be possible

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:15 pm 

I think what would work is something like Bittorrent - All clients are servers but there is the tracker for controlling everything then there is the seeders that have the full copy (in this case the true servers). This way, the more people on the network the more processing power.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:25 pm 

thats the same premise as gnuttualla but it wouldnt work with ppl who want to cheat and those who want to try with their own skills

either way it will cost alot of money

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:37 pm 

the clients should send data to an authorized server otherwise it would be easy to get wahtever you want. Also when playing online the use of custom gateways would have to be set so that only the server can define a custom gateway

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 pm 

thats also a reason for havin multiple servers so its harder to change around good way to stop real hackers from takin everythin and changin everythin

Post subject:
PostPosted:Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 pm 

@neas That idea is good for high volume high bandwith situations, and I seriously doubt Onlink will be either High volume or High bandwith. Most likely it would transmit text and simple graphics.