Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Multiplayer Ideas
PostPosted:Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Multiple games solves this problem perfectly. But there is one last problem I see without dulging too far into the problems with this is cross platform. Would it be possible to let the unix players connect in the same way as windows users? I have no knowledge in this area but it is an outstanding problem for many mmog's.
And thus, we have another problem to address. I have no idea how Unix/Linux work (mainly because I'm too damn lazy to learn them), but the issue of cross-platforming needs to be addressed as well.

-- Griffinhart

PS. Additionally, servers. Are they going to be run by their clients (much in the style of RTS games) or will there be a dedicated server base (a la WoW or many other MMORPGs)?

PostPosted:Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:17 pm 

Without having read half of half the replies I post:
LAN or Emulated LAN (hamachi) would be the best (if not only) solution to multiplayer Up/On link because of the time periods in the game and the fast forward junk. There's no way you could get more than 5 people cooperating/agreeing on a "no fast forward" rule. Also it would be almost easier to REWRITE a new game (Onlinek lulz, jk on the name) cause then the game would be based around multiplayer features. If you look at the Sims multiplayer...fails...miserably. Simulation games cant do too well in multiplayer cause everyone has a different use for them.
Onlinek would be 2-3 players.
The time setting would be realtime or double speed (2 seconds per second)
The players would start either Uplink Corp or ARC corp (coop or vs)
The game would go on as a competition however either of them would decide (high score, ruin most lives, admin on most computers in a time limit, blow up other players gateway(would start with max all software and hardware))
If you look at these obvious listings you see that almost none of this could be implementable. A total rewrite would be the BEST choice if not only choice.
In short: Onlinek would be WIN or FAIL

EDIT:
In regards to cross platforming;
http://www.toribash.com
written in OpenGL with cross-platforming multiplayer

EDIT2:
Oh wow, sorry for gravedig.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 am 

Quote:
Multiple games solves this problem perfectly. But there is one last problem I see without dulging too far into the problems with this is cross platform. Would it be possible to let the unix players connect in the same way as windows users? I have no knowledge in this area but it is an outstanding problem for many mmog's.
Onlink is built on top of CrissCross, and I believe CrissCross has networking and socket support. Correct me if I am wrong.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:24 am 
Literally Nine

You are correct, and generally speaking, we would never release something that would not be *able* to be ported to linux and unix based machines.

PostPosted:Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 pm 

What if Uplink/Onlink was made into an MMORPG? As in, you get EXP for doing certain things and level up certain skills. It would prevent players from completely dominating the game. There's probably lots of ways to do this, but one possible way I was thinking of was for the player to level up each software separately based on how often they use it. Like, for example, every time you use Password Breaker, you get 10 experience points on your Password Breaker level. And, like Runescape, you can't have the maximum level on everything. You get up to a certain Total level, and then nothing will level up anymore. What the levels/experience does is certainly debatable. It could determine what level of the software you are able to buy or it could also determine what level hardware you are able to buy. It could also affect the speed at which it runs, or other things like that. And I was also thinking that if there is some kind of scripting language inside the game for writing software, there would be a skill level for that as well. One of the things I was thinking of trying to do when I get a better handle on compiling Uplink successfully is seeing how to go about making it into an RPG. It could be fun...

PostPosted:Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm 

I wonder if there is a phpBB mod that automatically transformed unruly posts into paragraph form or tidied them up.

That would be nice.

PostPosted:Sat May 31, 2008 4:21 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
What if Uplink/Onlink was made into an MMORPG? As in, you get EXP for doing certain things and level up certain skills. It would prevent players from completely dominating the game. There's probably lots of ways to do this, but one possible way I was thinking of was for the player to level up each software separately based on how often they use it. Like, for example, every time you use Password Breaker, you get 10 experience points on your Password Breaker level. And, like Runescape, you can't have the maximum level on everything. You get up to a certain Total level, and then nothing will level up anymore. What the levels/experience does is certainly debatable. It could determine what level of the software you are able to buy or it could also determine what level hardware you are able to buy. It could also affect the speed at which it runs, or other things like that. And I was also thinking that if there is some kind of scripting language inside the game for writing software, there would be a skill level for that as well. One of the things I was thinking of trying to do when I get a better handle on compiling Uplink successfully is seeing how to go about making it into an RPG. It could be fun...
What if there were already several topics about multiplayer On/Uplink?

Oh, wait.

-- Griffinhart

PS. Also.

PostPosted:Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:28 pm 

Quote:

What if there were already several topics about multiplayer On/Uplink?

Oh, wait.

-- Griffinhart

PS. Also.
I was just about to direct Calid to this topic when I saw his new one, I guess you beat me to it.
As far as Burningmace's old post goes, it's old. I'm thinking one of the reasons that post was made was because Onlink might give you the impression that it is an online game. If I ran a forum for a game like this and saw a ton of "Will there be/Is this game multiplayer" posts, I would probably make a topic such as that to end it all.