Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Uplink Test Server
    PostPosted:Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:13 pm 

I an just going to say a few things.

first: please get rid of that damned stupid uplink test server.

secondly: file Copier v6.0 should be able to copy all files, compress them and store them, and should also be able to copy files over from your memory banks to server s(as asked by some missions)

thirdly: i like the idea of C++ code, and i think some "examples" of programs should be already included with your gateway, and also a basic C++ client.

Also i wish to congratulate you all on a splendid job well done!

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:07 pm 

OK just gonna give some reactions:

first:
    Miah wants to make Internic harder to connect to, so the only option of a first bounce will probably be the Uplink Test Machine so... And you don't need to do the Test-mission anymore...

secondly:
    There are some topics about this one, but for now you'll just need an earlier File Copier to copy your files from the memory bank to the server...

thirdly:
    The C++ was tested in the previous beta, but it didn't really work at my system, but I don't know about others... Maybe there are some "examples" hidden somewhere in a server, I don't know.. With the previous beta it was the Uplink Advanced Test Machine, but that ones gone now...

--Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity--

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:14 am 

When you say miah is making internic harder to hack does that mean that the uplink test machine will or will not have a trace. Otherwise it would make it harder to get rid of logs in a short amount of time if there is a trace on the test machine if we have to use it for bounces.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:09 pm 

There is an active trace on the Uplink Test Machine, which wants to disconnect you asap... But there's no passive trace, so you won't be caught...

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:43 pm 

no what i meant was that if miah does implement the harder to hack internic and this would make the uplink test machine the place to start bounces.
    Then would the active trace be removed as otherwise it would be impossible to delete the logs in the times required.
    Take banks for example; you have to delete the logs after a bank transfer within i think about 30 seconds as the passive trace is fast, and if the uplink test machine had a trace then this would be nigh on impossible.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:04 pm 
    Internal Beta Tester

Ttwo minutes for banks.
    Easy!

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:05 am 

I guess you've never seen the active trace of Uplink Test Machine... Either you're too slow for the whole game, or you should manage to delete the logs in time... Only you should bounce instead of just connecting direct... But They won't trace you passive so the bounces don't matter after that... Cause only the system you hack wants to trace them back, not the systems you bounce through...

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:15 am 

I still see a small 'problem' with using the Test machine. You can save only one route in the global map, right?
    So I save a route "Test machine", ...
    However in order to remove the logs you'd need a second route of 2 to 3 other systems that ends in the test machine. Which is kinda annoying as it has to be set by hand again and again. Maybe this is what is intended, but I think this is just deliberately unfun.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 am 

Miah wants to make it harder to break the chain of the trace, so it should be this hard... cause the Internic-system is FAR too easy at the moment...

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:38 am 
    Internal Beta Tester

No, just load up your old connection and double click the UTM

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:41 am 

but this would make it too hard to break the trace chain.
    Also if as, miah intends, he puts security which evolves then surely this would cut the trace time down meaning the passive trace time will also be cut down and this could lead to only having a minute at most to disconnect, set a new bounce route that would give you enough time, then get into the test machine wipe the logs and then disconnect.
    Dont think whether you will achieve it in this quick time but think instead about the people who have only just bought uplink and want to install a mod. They would take alot longer to carry out those actions.

*edit* sorry quatum only just seen your post. you have a fair point there but i still would say that if a active trace does have to be included on the utm then it should be a extremely long trace or no race at all *edit*

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:19 pm 

Why would they want to install a mod right away, don't you think the game itself is enough of a challenge for them already?

About the UTM, the fact is that it's much too easy to delete your logs at the moment, and Miah wants to make it harder.. And you should try to connect to the UTM with a few bounces now, you should find that the active trace takes very long, so I don't think you should worry about that... And the passive trace isn't as fast as you imply... Cause sometimes I can hack 4 or 5 banks before deleting the logs at the Internic, while the passive trace of the banks are said to be the fastest

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:26 pm 

i meant that with the new evolving sort of security systems which miah wants to implement then surely traces would get faster and if active traces get faster then of coarse passive traces should get faster.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 pm 

I apologize for grave digging so many posts all at once...

One thing I did not like about the log files was that a log would be created of you connecting to the server (internic or test pc), a second log would indicate that you logged in with admin access, and a third log would show that you disconnected. And typically these logs would appear only moments after the hack. In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter that such logs exist. Is it just me, or shouldn't these logs also lead passive traces to you?

Mostly, I would like to have the ability to delete a log without always leaving a log off record. I imagine that you would use your log deleter to delete the records of you connecting and gaining admin perms and then you would go to the console and restart the system. If you disconnect from the server while it is in the process of rebooting you should not leave a disconnect log.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:54 pm 

The connect and disconnect logs are not suspicious, they just say that you logged on then logged off. Deleting the connection log and then disconnecting (leaving the disconnect log) would make it suspious. I have had first-hand experience with this, I always got caught eventually if I deleted the connect log! (The admin access log could be suspisous because it basically says that you deleted the other logs :p)