Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Complete GUI overhaul of Uplink [Mod]
    PostPosted:Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:41 pm 

So, has anyone noticed or seen Uplink OS? They completed overhauled the graphical user interface and 'updated' the look to seem more modern. I just wanted to share this here because I found that pretty awesome that someone did that with the source. Thoughts/opinions welcome. Curious to see people thoughts on it. (No it's not mine. If only I had spent that much time working with the source..)

Here is the link to said mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/uplink-os/

Hopefully some people who didn't know about it will get to see it :) (I've only posted once in all the time I've been here? Odd...)

Edit: (Looking at some old posts... I feel like Tycho is crazy o.o / More amazing than I am :P | ..That repo o.o )

Post subject:Re: Complete GUI overhaul of Uplink [Mod]
    PostPosted:Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:20 am 

Yeah I saw that. Going to try it out now that its beta was released.

Post subject:Re: Complete GUI overhaul of Uplink [Mod]
    PostPosted:Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:10 pm 

Double posting. That's not a huge sin I think.

So I tried it out and I'm pretty mixed about Uplink OS! Some of the changes made end up making the game feel worse than the original. For example, the sound when logging into a terminal was taken out, which added so much satisfaction to hacking a terminal that I'm shocked anyone would think of taking them out. The programs also aren't as satisfying as the original. The password breaker spelling out the password one letter at a time is a lot cooler than watching a circle rapidly go through random letters in the middle, and the Trace Tracker's beeps are missing. Why would you even remove those beeps?

That said it does have good ideas, like adding actual windows, replacing the bottom text with mouseover text, moving deleting and copying to the RMB, adding the ability to select multiple missions/software/hardware at a time, etcetera. It's not like the original is unplayable these days, but some of these changes do a lot for making the game less clunky and more user-friendly.

In the end, though, I'm really not sure if I'd prefer it over the original.