Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: From Onlink to Kite
PostPosted:Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 pm 

is it still a game ?

PostPosted:Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:06 pm 

A console commands-only game would be interesting.

But that's most likely not what Kite is going to be.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:55 pm 

well, no, it won't be a console only game because that wouldn't be very attractive, but I do plan on working on a console-only version for fun. Maybe I'll even put that in a special mode in itself.

Anyway, Kite is now handling its own files which is useful (also cd and ls commands are "executable files")

PostPosted:Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:05 am 

I'm really looking forward to play this game. I loved Uplink, I recently found out about Onlink and I got hooked up again. But, Onlink is missing something, it still looks like a game from 2001, and I think Kite is going to be the next hacking game beast to come out of the unfinished crowd of the genre if you guys actually manage to keep developing it.
I'd like to get more updates though, even if they are small changes, it lets us know that you did not forget about it.
Wonderful job guys, and keep going!

PostPosted:Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 am 

Oops, Spent 3 months not saying anything on Kite, shame on me. If you don't care to know why, you can skip to the changelog below.

So have we been up to. Not much because much thoughts have been given on redesigning Kite's code due to an unsuspected issue. Long story short Lua and multithreading is not compatible and we had to work around that. While doing that we also started a massive code refactoring which resulted in the addition of two other sub-projects, Terra and Zenith.

Terra is a module dedicated to low level functionalities (structures,multi-threading,debugging). Zenith focuses on generating lua states and setting up pipes between them (If you want to know why I didn't use LuaLanes, ask me). Building those two modules greatly facilitates Kite development.

Now that ranting is done, changelog time:

Eclipse
  • Split into a separate Terra module
    Fix bugs
    clean code
    Improve 3D drawing
    Add recast navigation module for pathfinding (modified for c)
Zenith
  • Set up project
    implement multistate management
    implement pipe and data transfer
    implement request manager
Kite
  • Use Terra and Zenith modules
    Fix multithreading bug
    clean code
    implement virtual ssh,rm,mkdir,useradd,passwd tools
    implement networks, dns and routers

PostPosted:Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 am 

Quote:
Oops, Spent 3 months not saying anything on Kite, shame on me.
Shame on youuuuuu !

Nice changelog. And IMHO, you are totally right to take time to refactor / rebuild some stuff to have the cleanest foundation. Later in the development, the refactor you haven't done will cost you 10 times. At least.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 am 

I thought refactoring generally occurred when the project is out of alpha, which Kite doesn't seem to be... You know, get the basics working first, then cut out the sloppy code.

Interesting.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:30 am 

I think you are talking about the optimisation phase, which indeed, is rather late in the development cycle (mostg of the time, it slips AFTER the release date).

The refactoring can (should ?) happening on a regular basis. In Test Driven Development, it's included in the normal coding cycle (Test > Code > Refactor > Test > ....)

PostPosted:Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:32 am 

Quote:
The refactoring can (should ?) happening on a regular basis. In Test Driven Development, it's included in the normal coding cycle (Test > Code > Refactor > Test > ....)
Ah, alright.
Quote:
(mostg of the time, it slips AFTER the release date)
Reminds me of something I once heard: often, one half of the project gets done the week before the deadline. The other half the week after...

PostPosted:Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:33 am 

This week as been mostly focused on building Kite on Linux (not there yet but soon). Another addition was displaying the network. It is rough but it's a start.

The network navigation is on of the core gameplay elements we want in Kite (I have always enjoyed navigating through LAN even if it was poorly done). With this map, you'll be able to access independent systems by discovering them (or by hacking the dns which is also the router in the picture above). In Onlink terms,you would have the ISM,CM and whatever else on the same network.

changelog:

Terra
Builds on linux
Zenith
Builds on linux
Eclipse
Fix crashes
Fix image display bug
Kite
render a network map

PostPosted:Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:42 am 

Thanks for the info.

I know it's very early, but what is the current completion of the project ?

Post subject:Oh crud I changed the subject
PostPosted:Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:17 am 

Is that network alright? It seems a bit garbled.

PostPosted:Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:08 am 

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I know it's very early, but what is the current completion of the project ?
I'm not confident enough to give a number for the completion for the project but for the alpha it may be around 25%.
Quote:
Is that network alright? It seems a bit garbled.
There are a few bugs which I would have fixed before doing this news but I had a sleepless night. So no coding today and buggy screenshot. I'll update it once I fixed those issues.

PostPosted:Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:18 am 

Progress ? progress
Code:
Terra: files: 85 lines: 8393 Latest Commit: Thu May 28 17:59:51 2015 Zenith: files: 11 lines: 1348 Latest Commit: Sat May 9 22:54:03 2015 Eclipse: files: 99 lines: 22880 Latest Commit: Thu May 28 19:31:04 2015 Aurora: files: 43 lines: 3100 Latest Commit: Thu May 28 20:23:56 2015 Lux: files: 6 lines: 509 Nebula: files: 19 lines: 1973 Kite: files: 32 lines: 1812 Latest Commit: Mon Jun 1 12:03:12 2015 Kite Packages: Kite files: 81 lines: 11027 Onlink files: 1 lines: 34 core files: 15 lines: 1032 Others: files: 8 lines: 646 Total: files: 400 lines: 52754

PostPosted:Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:44 am 

Maybe you're tired of hearing this but, can we beta test this yet? Download link? github link? Was there ever a kickstarter link? Is kite completely closed source or have you guys thought of opening things up to the community to assist? If closed source how do people post a resume if they want to help work on code? NDA's & the like available?