Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: From Onlink to Kite
PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:10 am 

Quote:
One question : are you the only one working on Kite ?
yep

PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:41 pm 

Would you need a bit of help ?

I'm quite good in Python and as you seemed to have segmented quite well your code, maybe I can help here and there.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:20 am 

Quote:
Would you need a bit of help ?

I'm quite good in Python and as you seemed to have segmented quite well your code, maybe I can help here and there.
I'm good at the moment. We have a new recruit working on Onlink's bugs at the moment, which is quite a big help. He'll probably move over to Kite once he's comfortable.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, but Kite is in C and Lua.

PostPosted:Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:33 am 

Oh really ? Then I cannot help, my C-fu is quite low...

Also, I'm pretty sure that you mentioned Python, but it may have been a few years back.

Thanks for the hard work !

PostPosted:Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am 

Hi everyone,

still fiddling with the Renderer but this time, it's to make Horizon work. Horizon is the temp name of the library doing all the interface stuff (buttons, layout, etc...) I first implemented it in Onlink about a year ago, for testing the viability. Now it's being moved to Kite.

Here are some Onlink samples I did at the time:

old Admin Interface (for comparison):

Admin Interface test:

HUD test:

As for Kite's current code progress, here's the usual very non-informative code status:
Code:
Terra: Files: 91 Lines: 15257 Latest Commit: Tue Feb 21 12:33:01 UTC 2017 Zenith: Files: 11 Lines: 1345 Latest Commit: Tue Feb 21 13:14:34 UTC 2017 Eclipse: Files: 96 Lines: 24466 Latest Commit: Tue Feb 21 13:37:30 UTC 2017 Aurora: Files: 58 Lines: 5708 Latest Commit: Tue Feb 21 13:39:29 UTC 2017 Lux: Files: 6 Lines: 712 Latest Changes: Mon Jan 23 12:45:19 UTC 2017 Satellite: Files: 3 Lines: 679 Latest Changes: Thu Jan 19 18:36:33 UTC 2017 Nebula: Files: 19 Lines: 1953 Latest Changes: Wed Oct 19 10:55:19 UTC 2016 Horizon: Files: 51 Lines: 12207 Latest Changes: Fri Feb 17 16:41:31 UTC 2017 Kite: Files: 11 Lines: 1749 Latest Commit: Tue Feb 21 13:42:19 UTC 2017 Kite Modules: core: Files: 11 Lines: 758 Latest Changes: Tue Feb 21 13:21:14 UTC 2017 kite: Files: 80 Lines: 10878 Latest Changes: Sun Jun 28 17:55:14 UTC 2015 onlink: Files: 1 Lines: 34 Latest Changes: Sun Jul 20 15:07:38 UTC 2014 Others: files: 5 lines: 696 Total: files: 443 lines: 76442

PostPosted:Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:01 am 

Thanks for the update !

PostPosted:Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 pm 

Good luck to you all, but is there any ETA of when it'll be ready for its first release?

PostPosted:Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:09 am 

Just wanted to say that I'm glad to see progress still being made. I drop by every now and again because I think uplink was one of my favorite games ever, and it always bugged the hell out of me that I couldn't ever get onlink to work for any consistent length of time due to the save bugs.

Hacknet just got an expansion and diving through that reminded me to check in and see how things are going, and all I have to say is it's wonderful to see you still working on it. Good luck.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am 

Can I assume that Kite isn't being developed by 'professional' developer(s)?

Ever since Onlink people have waited for Cerberus, which never materialised, despite all the big talk of how adept the people behind it claimed to be. It's been a decade. This doesn't fill me with confidence.

Is Kite another "Yeah man we're working on something REALLY cool!" project which is never going to materialise? Why hasn't the project been pushed towards Steam Greenlight for example? A distinct lack of information and a general 'secretive' stance just suggests that it's another pipe dream that the people behind don't actually know how to achieve.

I hope I'm wrong on this.

Before anyone gets snippy, I am a professional developer, who does this for a living, so keep your "OHYEAHWHYDONTYOUMAKEONE!?!?!" to yourself.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:43 pm 

Quote:
Can I assume that Kite isn't being developed by 'professional' developer(s)?

Ever since Onlink people have waited for Cerberus, which never materialised, despite all the big talk of how adept the people behind it claimed to be. It's been a decade. This doesn't fill me with confidence.

Is Kite another "Yeah man we're working on something REALLY cool!" project which is never going to materialise? Why hasn't the project been pushed towards Steam Greenlight for example? A distinct lack of information and a general 'secretive' stance just suggests that it's another pipe dream that the people behind don't actually know how to achieve.

I hope I'm wrong on this.

Before anyone gets snippy, I am a professional developer, who does this for a living, so keep your "OHYEAHWHYDONTYOUMAKEONE!?!?!" to yourself.
First, thank you for expressing your concern. It is important to speak up.

No, Kite is not being developed by game 'professionals'. We are professional developers with professional obligations, putting time and money on a project we believe in.

Cerberus was originally a new game engine for Onlink that unfortunately never saw the day. For personal reasons, the head of that project left, leaving no replacement. We eventually decided to pick it up and expand upon it, and that became Kite. Unfortunately, we are not fast coder and still have a lot to learn.

Is Kite a pipe dream? I don't think so. Why is it not on Steam Greenlight? Because it has not progressed enough to our taste. Why the secretive stance? Because we don't want to go Peter Molyneux on this, that would be even worse. Do we know how to achieve Kite? That, only time will tell.

I understand it is frustrating to see something you actually want take so much time to complete, and promising you that it will be done would be worse. I can say we're working on it, and haven't given up. If we do drop it, we will at least have the respect to tell everyone, and show the concepts we had, to maybe get someone else continue the work.

Sorry for taking so long.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:22 pm 

Quote:
I understand it is frustrating to see something you actually want take so much time to complete, and promising you that it will be done would be worse. I can say we're working on it, and haven't given up. If we do drop it, we will at least have the respect to tell everyone, and show the concepts we had, to maybe get someone else continue the work.
Hi again !
Keep up the good work.
As I said on IRC some time ago, maybe you could make an announcement to look for somebody to help coding etc..

Steam Greenlight is also a good ideea as the user above said.

PostPosted:Sun May 28, 2017 2:01 pm 

Hey Devs! How's the Kite development going?
Can't wait! :D

PostPosted:Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm 

Quote:
Sorry for taking so long.
No worries.

I'm still happy to see the dedication that remains attached to this project and it's nice to check back here and there to see how things are going. I'm curious how the current state of Onlink compares to the base source of Uplink. Complexity.. and how much has changed as the project has gone on.

I'll be honest in that I wish I could drag some of the components over to the new visuals CptMcBacon worked on. I doubt it would be as straight forward as one could wish. Regardless, I'm still happy to see this continuing.

Thanks to everyone who has worked on Onlink so far, and for Mc2m's work on Kite now.