Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:A Few Questions
    PostPosted:Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am 

Yes, I'm new to Onlink. I'm not big on preamble, so:

1. What's the status of custom gateways?

Assuming it's doable at all, I'd be wanting to reskin all the gateways in the style of neott's work for Uplink.

2. Is it just me, or is bank hacking way, way, way, OMFGWTFBBQ harder in Onlink?

Every time I've tried, a few things happen that make my life way harder. For one, after moving money from the target account to my own on the same server, trying to look at the bank statement of my own account always crashes. It seems that transferring the money to a different account lets me look at the statement without crashing, but at that point, it's almost certainly been too long. (Next time I'm going to try transferring 1c to all my other accounts first and hope that fixes it.) In any event, while I do get promoted, I'm always in for the black screen of doom later. Second, soon after moving the money to my primary (Uplink Bank) account, that very account is hacked by someone, and money is transferred. I haven't had enough time before the black screen after to find-out who the hell did it and throw their ass in jail, but it's incredibly annoying to lose 400k-600k just as soon as I get it. O.o

3. Missions...there are so few of them. O.o

While in Uplink it was possible to rise up the ranks pretty fast and make a fair amount of money (enough for a gateway upgrade, some hardware, software, and other improvements) before getting to the bank hacking, in Onlink, at least with the "new" mission system, jobs are scarce. As in, rarely more than half-a-page scarce. Is this normal? A bug? Gremlin?

4. Is the wireless router fool-proof?

The wiki isn't exactly over-flowing with details on this point. I get that it re-directs a trace, but, is that only an active trace, or does it also cover passive ones? Is there still the possibility that someone will get past it, and if so, is there anything I can do to prevent it? (I heard on YouTube player idly mention there are logs on one's own gateway but haven't sifted through the hours of gameplay footage to figure-out just what they meant by that.)

5. Custom music; where should one put it?

And in what format. The menus make pretty clear reference to custom music files, but AFAIK, Uplink used a whacky format that was actually MIDI data, not waveform data. If that changed with Onlink so much the better, but I'm still at a loss as to where to stick the files.

Post subject:Re: A Few Questions
    PostPosted:Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 am 

Let's see if I can help with what I know.

1. Yes, custom gateways should be doable at this point in time.

2. No, it isn't just you. Bank hacking has been a victim of the nerf virus.

3. That happens to me too, and others apparently. I think I read somewhere that that will be fixed.

4. All I know is it can get seized if you get traced.

5. It uses mod (.mod, .xm, .s3m and .it) files, actually. There's going to be support for mp3 and ogg in 0.3.0 last I heard.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm 

Cool beans. Thanks. I guess I'll have to go fiddling with the directory structure in Onlink.

As for bank hacking...is there any way to get it done without explosions? The missions are grindy and with so few of them and sooooo many new things to buy it's kinda hard to make any headway.

PostPosted:Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 pm 

About bank hacking in Onlink.

The statement crash is a known bug. There's probably other ways of working around it, but one that works for me is being extra fast on the hack so I have spare time. After the crash, when I relog into the game I immediately go to the statement screen again. After 1 or 2 crashes you can make it in time to delete the statements.

About the "guy hacking you"... it's not precisely that. Let's say your account balance suddenly raises by a couple millions in real life. When banks are going through their records in the end of the month, they know there's something fishy going on there. You'll have to figure out how to work around this on your own, but I'll just say exploding your gateway isn't the only way of doing it.