Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:ADHD
PostPosted:Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm 

So my friend recently fell out of a window at his college and died. When I came home for the funeral my mom demanded I see a therapist, much to my chagrin. Anyways after a single session the therapist told me that while I was grieving and depressed (obviously) there was nothing pathological or warning signs this event would send me into the dark world of clinical depression which was my mom's main worry. The therapist also told me that after an hour of talking to me she had seen just about every red flag there is for ADHD and it was well worth seeing a psychiatrist. Long story short after discussing a history of self medication with nicotine and caffeine, nail biting and fidgeting, losing things, poor organization etc. I was prescribed Vyvanse.

I'm writing this for two reasons the first is to say this if your the kind of person that uses caffeine and nicotine as a performance enhancer as opposed to recreational\casual\social use (Like the I have to write a paper so I'll throw a lip in and chug a RockStar kind of mindset) theres a really good chance you have ADHD. The psychiatrist told me that for people with ADHD, stimulants light up dopamine pathways that should be lighting up on their own. Thats why some people get clearheaded from a cup of coffee and some people get jittery, its just as easy to over stimulate that part of your brain as it is to merely "bring it up to speed" (Also addicts are obviously a different story, once your brain upregulates its receptors or down regulates its dopamine production the drugs just bring you to baseline) Anyways if that sounds like you get yourself checked out. Apparently even sporadic high doses of nicotine and caffeine present a way larger strain on the heart then the milder ADHD medicines.

The second reason is I had some questions for people that are on Vyvanse or similar drugs. I'm experiencing two listed side effects, insomnia and jaw clenching.
And a few unlisted ones, I have a weird BO I'm not normally a smelly person at and when I do smell its generally very mild, since I've been on Vyvanse I've had pretty consistent BO thats not just stronger than normal theres also something worse about it that I've never smelt on myself before I've started showering at night and the morning and going back to my room during the middle of the day and putting deodorant on but this all seems kind of absurd. The other unlisted side effect is I've been really thirsty therefore drinking a lot of water and therefore pissing my kidneys out.

I was just curious if anyone had experienced any of these symptoms and if they go away once the body develops a physical tolerance.

Post subject:Re: ADHD
PostPosted:Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm 

I don't have any experience with this kind of medicine, but there are two pieces of advice I can give you:

First, don't worry about upsetting your kidney - ar long as it's just water, you can drink as much as you want, no problem there.

Second, about the BO, I used to have the same problem, until I was told about aquos MgOH (sorry, don't know how to say that in English). Works like a charm for me, just spread it on the BO main sources after you bathe!

PostPosted:Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:53 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
First, don't worry about upsetting your kidney - ar long as it's just water, you can drink as much as you want, no problem there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm 

Well, obviously drinking lots of water for being thirsty all the time doesn't classify as "drinking gallons of water in some kind of bet" or "after losing eletrolites due to extensive exercising".

I don't care about being corrected when I say something wrong, but trying to outsmart something I said to help someone, posting a link to the wikipedia without apparently even reading it just gets on my freakin' nerves. :x

PostPosted:Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
I don't care about being corrected when I say something wrong, but trying to outsmart something I said to help someone, posting a link to the wikipedia without apparently even reading it just gets on my freakin' nerves. :x
You're trying to be helpful, yes. And I commend you for that. But when your advice:
Quote:
ar long as it's just water, you can drink as much as you want, no problem there.
is outright false... That's not good.

You really can't drink as much as you want. FinalWarrior wasn't trying to outsmart you, he was trying to point out that what you said wasn't accurate.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:18 am 

Quote:
being thirsty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychogenic_polydipsia

Thirsty != dehydration.

There is a difference between being thirsty and feeling thirsty. Just because you feel thirsty does not mean you are actually dehydrated.

(I tend to experience the reverse more often though, and rarely feel thirsty though I drink a lot less water than I probably should...)

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:47 pm 

Actually, sorry about reacting the way I did - I was in a bad mood at that moment, and got the wrong message about what you said.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:46 pm 

Dou demo ii desu yo~

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:23 am 

weeaboo no gaijin, ne! :classy:

PostPosted:Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:00 am 

I'm Asian. I can never take the Weeaboo prestige class because it has racial prerequisite "non-Asian".

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:34 pm 
External Project Staff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyvanse#Co ... de_effects

Dry mouth and increased sweating are both listed. While not your exact symptoms, dry mouth leads to the sensation of thirst, and increased sweating will lead to increased body odor.

Also, I don't believe in self-medicating with caffeine and nicotine, because if anything, most of the population takes that stuff, and a tiny amount of those people will actually have ADHD.

Also, avoid medication. By that I don't mean you shouldn't take it (heck, my list of current medications is fairly long), but don't take what you don't need.

And last, even I could be diagnosed with ADHD, as I do tend to get bored easily, and am usually doing (read: coding) 20 tasks (read: projects) at the same time. But I don't have ADHD, why? Because I have many things that point otherwise. I am able to focus when needed, etc. My real advice would be to be careful with therapists. Not because they are evil (like Scientology tries to teach us), but because they are human. In my experience they will focus on a minor subset of problems, ignoring the bigger picture. Always try to find that bigger picture yourself, and then discuss that with the therapist.

So do you find yourself distracted nearly all of the time, and is it impossible or very hard to do anything, then get the meds and see the therapist, if not, I would really advice you to get a second opinion.

EDIT: Note that one builds a very high tolerance to caffeine in a very short amount of time. So most of the coffee-addicts don't actually use the caffeine to increase concentration, rather they "need" it to satisfy their addiction. After intake it will quickly processed by the body, before actually reaching potential.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:31 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
I'm Asian. I can never take the Weeaboo prestige class because it has racial prerequisite "non-Asian".

-- Griffinhart
You're not Japanese. You also don't have the slightest accent.

Shit, I might actually be more Japanese than you, for that matter.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:18 am 

Quote:
You also don't have the slightest accent.
I make it a point to have understandable English. There's no point in speaking a language if you can't speak it properly.
Quote:
Shit, I might actually be more Japanese than you, for that matter.
Maybe. Definitely more weeaboo than me~

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
Maybe. Definitely more weeaboo than me~
Really? I haven't seen an anime in... (checks history)... 14 months. I'm pretty sure there's no obsession here. :3

PostPosted:Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:58 am 

Quote:
Me Japanese
Quote:
Me Japanesier
[mejapanesiest]DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU[/mejapanesiest] :classy:

Serious now though, japanese cuisine is the best IMO (and I'm NOT talking about ramen, for Google's sake!)