Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:I Got A Netbook For Christmas, But....
PostPosted:Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:19 pm 

So "Santa" gave me an Acer Aspire One D250-1362 (Not sure about the last fouer digits on that model, but it is close to that.) for Christmas. Most of my friends and family agree that I am somewhat difficult to shop for, so I usually don't have a clue as to what I am getting on Christmas or my birthday. My parents know me well enough that they bought a RAM upgrade for me to install (From 1GB to 2GB).

My parents have agreed to return some items in exchange for items I actually want, they have already ordered an OCZ SSD I have been looking at in return for taking back an external drive and an Erector set.

The specs on the netbook really aren't that great (Single-core processor, Intel integrated graphics). It comes with XP, but I prefer Linux, so if I do open the box (it's still sealed!) I will probably install Ubuntu on it. I think I would rather have a newer netbook with ION graphics, like the Asus Eee 1201n. Still, I really don't see what I will do with a netbook, but I thought I would use it for programming on the go and program testing. I also got a 20" Vizio (and seeing as I watch all my TV on Hulu I really don't need it in my room). Should I also return both the Aspire One and the TV for the Asus (or a Mac mini)?

So, discuss.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:Re: I Got A Netbook For Christmas, But....
PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:04 am 

From personal experience, I can't suggest enough that you return the Acer notebook. I really think those things are rigged to brake a week after the warranty ends, forcing you to buy a new one. I've had six different people with six different models all have their notebook/laptop randomly die in totally random ways. Ever since I saw one go down and couldn't find anything physically wrong with it, I gave up all support for them. The thing wouldn't even power up into the bios, yet every wire and chip was set right..

Also from personal experience, macs are just all hype. Why charge $4,500 for a dual core laptop when you can pay $1,000 for a quad core and a 280 GTX mobile? Moreover, why pay Alienware $6,500 for a quad core desktop with a single 295 GTX when gateway offers an octal core for $1,000 and three 285's for about $600? Stay off of big name brands, they're giant scams. And get a 285. 295 fails in comparison to it. It's about 1/3rd the speed with 1 ghz more memory. Seriously, if you're gunna SLI three cards do you really need that much memory? There's definitely a difference between a 285 and 295, especially when you're running Cuda and 3dMark.

By the way, Sabayon pwns Ubuntu <.<..

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:07 am 
External Project Staff

Quote:
By the way, Sabayon pwns Ubuntu <.<..
If you like compiling your own software, maybe. Else, nah.

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:48 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
From personal experience, I can't suggest enough that you return the Acer notebook. I really think those things are rigged to brake a week after the warranty ends, forcing you to buy a new one. I've had six different people with six different models all have their notebook/laptop randomly die in totally random ways. Ever since I saw one go down and couldn't find anything physically wrong with it, I gave up all support for them. The thing wouldn't even power up into the bios, yet every wire and chip was set right..
Really? I've had my Acer Aspire 8730 since... July, I think? I've yet to have a problem related to the laptop itself (Windows VistAIDS, before I switched to 7, is an entirely different beast). It's literally supplanted my desktop as my computer du jour - since I've gotten it, I do everything on my Acer, I loves it so. (It doesn't hurt that, as I go to DigiPen, which is located on the other side of the continent from my place of residence for the past three years, I basically need to have a laptop of some sort to do a majority of my CS/GAM work.)

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:33 am 

It's not really a matter of it breaking, because my sister received a similar model last year and once I tweaked it for her it ran screamingly. Really, it is a single-core with integrated graphics. Call me spoiled but I would rather have much more processing/graphics power in a netbook, so I looked at the new Asus 1201n. My parents and I have decided to take the netbook and it's accessories back anyway, because I really have no use for it with it's current specs. I figure an Asus like that would be able to handle lightweight text editors and a web daemon I could do some web development on, or run some of the Android SDK tools on-the-go to debug/tweak my phone.

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:27 pm 

Another thought, my cousin just got a 360 for Christmas, seeing as my parents got me and my sister HDTVs for our rooms, should I keep the TV, sell the netbook w/ accessories and get a 360 Arcade + HD + Live?

PostPosted:Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:23 pm 

If you're getting a 360, might as well as go with an Elite. I honestly don't see the point in an Arcade unless you're absolutely never going to use the damn thing except as a media center.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:05 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Frostysbite
Ditch the acer. I had one for a year and a half before the damn thing failed on me (again refusing to load into bios) while the specs on Acers are respectable the hardware just has to many issues. As for a netbook, i recommend them (as a matter of fact since my Acer died a few weeks before christmas, a netbook is now my primary computer) Netbooks are small enough that they are REALLY easy to carry around with you, and seing as how im playing all my games on this computer that i did with my old model acer (with the exception of Bioshock, Which didnt really work on my acer anyways). Im running the Asus eee 1005ha. 10 hour battery life woot! (up to 12 hours if you really know how to tweek it). As for the Xbox 360 avoid the arcade version like the plague that memory card gets filled up Ridiculously fast (personal experiance) go with the elite its worth the money for all that space.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:17 pm 

I ended up buying an Arcade. Mind you it's the Jasper motherboard, which is nonexistent in Elite land. My dad and I found a deal at Best Buy (hard to believe, but it's true), which included the Arcade, a 60GB hard drive and 3 month subscription to Live.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:22 am 

Ah, at least you got an HDD to go with it. THat's good. I need to get a new HDD myself... my 20gb is nearly full.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 am 

Quote:
20gb
*winces in pain and shock*

PostPosted:Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:50 pm 

/Shrug

I've had my 360 since '06.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 am 

*chuckles*

Reminds me of the time I took an old PC apart and found a 1GB HDD in it. And a GeForce 2...

Old hat stuffz.

PostPosted:Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm 

One of my cousins inherited a Packard Bell desktop from me/my father.

I remember playing MegaRace on it when I was 4. :3

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:39 pm 

Heh. Earliest games I can remember playing were HL1, Rock Raiders, Day Of The Tentacle and Settlers 2 gold.