Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Colleges, etc.
PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:47 pm 

Quote:
If I had money, I could probably move to Washington in time for PAX. (Seeing as I'm attending DigiPen.)

Then again, if I had money, this whole college thing wouldn't be such a huge problem... *Sigh*

-- Griffinhart
Digipen, huh? I was looking at them, thinking I would attend there when I'm out of high school. (You can view the lectures for Computer Science courses online nowadays, so I'm covered there.)

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:Re: Penny Arcade Expo 2009 Meet-up
PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:12 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Quote:
If I had money, I could probably move to Washington in time for PAX. (Seeing as I'm attending DigiPen.)

Then again, if I had money, this whole college thing wouldn't be such a huge problem... *Sigh*

-- Griffinhart
Digipen, huh? I was looking at them, thinking I would attend there when I'm out of high school. (You can view the lectures for Computer Science courses online nowadays, so I'm covered there.)
Mm. They don't even offer CompSci to undergraduates. I'm going for the BS in Game Design.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:14 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-- Griffinhart
Mm. They don't even offer CompSci to undergraduates. I'm going for the BS in Game Design.

-- Griffinhart
Yeah, I wanted to go there for Games, not for CompSci. Although, my Dad wants me to major in Computer Science at MIT, or some alternative energy field (which seems pretty cool, actually).

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:23 pm 

I was thinking of going to MIT for a short while (I even went on a campus visit as a freshman), but around my senior year I realized that I didn't have the work ethic nor the insanely high grades (I mean, the lowest my unweighted GPA ever got was around 3.3, but that's a far cry from 4.0) to get into or survive MIT.

Incidentally, I'm going to split these college posts into their own thread.

-- Griffinhart

Post subject:Re: Colleges, etc.
PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:24 pm 
Literally Nine

Someone should come to Central Washington University. I am looking for a roommate.

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:36 pm 

Quote:
Someone should come to Central Washington University. I am looking for a roommate.
Btw, I remember a blog post of yours about CompSci vs CompEngineering, can you explain the difference in a nutshell? :-)

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 pm 
Literally Nine

The original post is here.

Basically, computer science deals largely with theory while computer engineering deals with practical application.

Some universities don't offer computer engineering as a course program (for instance, Central Washington University, which I attend). However, computer engineering is basically the level between electrical engineering and computer science. And not all computer science courses deal only in theory, though the bulk of them do. If you go into computer science, pick some courses that cover low-level programming (i.e. assembly-level). Once you learn how the processor works, you'll start being a lot more clever with higher level code.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:05 am 

I think my best friend is going to Washington State, or summat... Wow, all the cool kids are off to Washington.

@Tycho: Incidentally, DigiPen does off a BS in Computer Engineering, but considering how much of a failure I was at electricity and magnetism in my AP Physics class (well, compared to some of the other students in my AP Physics class, anyhow), I passed on it.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:17 pm 

Quote:

-- Griffinhart
I'm struggling to pay for Uni, and i'm in the UK where our government actually provides loans for it. I'd hate to think what going to College in the US is like unless you get one of them scholarship things.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:26 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:woganmay
I ... just ... didn't do college. University, anything. Finished school, took a gap year, and started working.

A friend of mine started studying (a 3-year web dev course) about the same time I started my job. Somewhat sad to think that by the time he's got his qualifications (and has to start applying for jobs), I've got 3 years of working experience...

@Switch It's not so much about the cost as it is about the debt. Without a full scholarship, chances are you can't afford it cash. Which means you spend the next few years after college working off the debt you accumulated.

I knew a girl who's in her second year of articles (at a law firm), and she's still paying off the university she attended. Why people do this to themselves, I will never know. You'd think that with so many college "dropouts" doing incredible (and financially rewarding) things, people would sort of take a hint.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm 

Technically the US gov't does provide grants, which are basically scholarships, but they're never enough to cover the full cost of college (to my knowledge, anyhow). You can take out loans from private companies (DigiPen apparently recommends http://elmselect.com/ for finding out what kind of loan(s) to take from what company(s)) and pay those off over the course of several decades.

And from what I can tell, DigiPen isn't so bad money-wise compared to, er... more well-known institutes of higher learning. My high school programming teacher, who has one daughter who graduated at the same time as me, has some horror stories about Georgetown (on the other hand, if your family makes under a certain amount per year, MIT will pay your entire tuition if you get accepted)... DigiPen's BS in Game Design is going to run me a little under $70k, though. Not including books, housing, and feed...

;__;

@IPGhost: That's because those people

a) are naturally gifted
b) are self-taught
c) have spent their entire lives preparing for employment
d) are lucky
e) some of the above
f) all of the above
g) other

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm 

Quote:
@IPGhost: That's because those people

a) are naturally gifted
b) are self-taught
c) have spent their entire lives preparing for employment
d) are lucky
e) some of the above
f) all of the above
g) other

-- Griffinhart
Quote:
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~ Seneca
If you're not spending the first 21 years of your life preparing, improving, building on what you've been given, what is it you're expecting to achieve anyway?

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:48 pm 

Jeez dude, you were preparing the moment you exited the womb? D:

Unlike you I hadn't even discovered computers until I was 4, and then I wasn't even aware people made a living from them (additionally I wasn't even aware of the meaning of the phrase "make a living" at the age of 4).

To be honest, I still don't know what I want to achieve. Half of the reason why I'm going to college is because there's not much else for me to do. (The other half is obviously "I want to make games for a living and possibly excel at such an endeavor".)

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:01 pm 

Geez, dude, no. Only got my first PC when I was 8. Only started on web development when I was 12.

It's not so much a choice as it is an attitude, far as I've seen. It's not like I chose to spend every waking moment slaving away at learning something, but I did keep an open mind to the opportunities as they arose, and that's made all the difference.

As opposed to some of my peers. Sigh.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:50 pm 
Organ Donor

Quote:
You'd think that with so many college "dropouts" doing incredible (and financially rewarding) things, people would sort of take a hint.
The percentage of college dropouts doing incredible and financially rewarding things is much much smaller than those who aren't. At least in the US, I'm not sure where you're from so things may be different there.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG