Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Colleges, etc.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:01 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
It just seems that way (in the US) because a story like "COLLEGE DROPOUT INVENTS FASTER THAN LIGHT COMMUNICATIONS" sounds much more unlikely than "GROUP OF MIT GRADUATES CURE CANCER" and therefore more newsworthy.

-- Griffinhart

PS. @IPGhost: Yeah, I didn't seriously start to consider game design/programming as a career choice until I was around 12 (i.e., middle school), but I never really had major pushes to learn it myself (e.g., I didn't have anything about writing code - plus back in those days, the Internet was a sweet, precious, limited resource that I had to battle for against my cousin, who was living with me at the time).

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:21 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:woganmay
Quote:
The percentage of college dropouts doing incredible and financially rewarding things is much much smaller than those who aren't. At least in the US, I'm not sure where you're from so things may be different there.
I'm from Mars. We're rocking it.

But honestly? I haven't met too many people who went the school-study-steady-career-retire-pension-die route and actually loved it. It really is a whole discussion on its own, especially in 2009.

Plus: The percentage of successes there are higher among the ones who drop out to follow their own path, as opposed to dropping out because they can't handle school. I'd think it was obvious, lol.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:41 pm 

Quote:
Technically the US gov't does provide grants, which are basically scholarships, but they're never enough to cover the full cost of college (to my knowledge, anyhow). You can take out loans from private companies (DigiPen apparently recommends http://elmselect.com/ for finding out what kind of loan(s) to take from what company(s)) and pay those off over the course of several decades.

And from what I can tell, DigiPen isn't so bad money-wise compared to, er... more well-known institutes of higher learning. My high school programming teacher, who has one daughter who graduated at the same time as me, has some horror stories about Georgetown (on the other hand, if your family makes under a certain amount per year, MIT will pay your entire tuition if you get accepted)... DigiPen's BS in Game Design is going to run me a little under $70k, though. Not including books, housing, and feed...

-- Griffinhart
I assume the interest rates on the loans are pretty bad then? It's not too bad over here, the Government will loan anyone the full cost of tuition, and then up to £5000 maintenance loan depending on your family income. I get screwed because my family make just enough to drop me to £3500 which only just covers accommodation, so they have to help me pay for everything else.

Am I right in thinking that you leave school over there at 18, go to college for 3-4 years and pay for that, and then sometimes go on to university and pay for that as well?

PostPosted:Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
-- Grififnhart
First time I've seen you goof that up :P

PostPosted:Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 am 

@Switch: Close. Usually one graduates high school (I think you Brits call it secondary?) around 18, go to college/university (the distinction is, AFAICT, minor) for 3-4 years (usually for a bachelor's degree), and then either go off to work or continue furthering your education for another 2-3 years (for a Master's degree). Unless you're trying for something that requires a lot of education/skill, like a practicing medical career, in which case you spend a lot more time in school and doing internship-ish stuff.

@Tycho: Yeah, no kidding. Normally I don't ever sign post-scripts. >_>

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:01 pm 

IPGhost, its one thing to go straight into the workforce if you feel that is the best decision for yourself, I totally respect that decision, I've know several people that have gone straight into the workforce are military that are happy with that decision. Its entirely another to call it sad that people go to higher education, in fact that is an absurd statement on par with saying "Outside is stupid" something I used to say as a fat kid that hated exercise and playing outside. I wonder if you've ever had surgery, a surgeon that spent years learning every detail of the human body and then after college and med school spent another three years as a student doctor is simply going to perform better than someone with a couple text books and an open mind. And this goes for any topic, I understand that college drop outs sometimes do well but in reality its a lot harder to make a good living without higher education. In some fields, especially anything buisnessy its doable, but difficult. Anything that requires technical know how, I bet the college graduate will perform better than the drop out 9 times out of 10.

PostPosted:Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:woganmay
Gwanky: You're misinterpreting (or rather, selectively interpreting). Higher education is not bad if performed with a reason. Yes, engineers and doctors and lawyers have a lot to learn - but developers, marketers, managers etc can probably get by without it.

Ultimately, this is the "sad" scenario I'm getting at:

PostPosted:Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm 

Incidentally, I'm typing this from DigiPen's cafeteria/cafe. :D

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:47 am 

Quote:
Incidentally, I'm typing this from DigiPen's cafeteria/cafe. :D

-- Griffinhart
Be sure to tell us how you like it. I'm interested in DigiPen.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:08 am 

So far I love that the main campus is so fucking tiny - it's really easy to get around. Also the people here are amazing.

I keep hearing about the horrors of the workload though - especially the Art classes. (specifically Art 101, which is a required course for me - in fact, our "summer" assignment is a 100 page sketchbook, filled with sketches on both sides of the pages - four sketches per page. Yeah 800 sketches, assigned out of a workbook. Followed by, apparently, 50 drawings a week once the class gets started proper. I'm not taking ART101 'til my spring semester though, so I have some time to get caught up...)

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:04 am 

Whoa, I'm glad I'm not taking any Art-related classes. :P

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:39 pm 

Yeap. BSGD requires ART classes, RTIS doesn't.

-- Griffinhart