Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Subversion
    PostPosted:Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 am 

No, not the source-control.

Anyone as stoked as I am about Introversion's Subversion? Looks cool as hell to me, can't wait to get my hands on it (whatever it is)!

Post subject:Re: Subversion
    PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 am 
    Literally Nine

I wish I knew what it even _was_. All I've seen is procedural content generation (which is something we'll be doing for the rewrite, by the way).

I certainly hope they stop bleeding money and start cracking on Subversion.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 am 

What is subversion about? Is that sort of a remake of Uplink but in 3D and with 3rd person elemets?

Could be a hit or could end in the opposite. It's interesting to play in a 3D environment sort of like TRON but for a hacker-game I like the look and feel of Uplink. It has this touch of you sitting in front of a computer in real live and using that OS interface hacking.
    That's the big great motivation and fun. Your real you is sort of part of that game environment including you as a person, using your computer as a tool (part of that game).

Where in other games (jump and run, ego shooters, 3D simulations ...) you mostly move around a character. Where the game takes place in the computer and you merely watching through a window in the 4th dimension or in the ego perspective controlling that figure. The computer becomes sort of a window -a gate- to an other reality, blanking out the reality and situation you are in, the room around you ...
    In Uplink YOU ARE the gamer - not as in controlling a polygon person and moving it around, but as it is you and your actions. And the real life around you become part of that fiction ... know what I mean?

In a 3D version of that concept, running around in a rendered virtual world on the screen, diving into cyberspace, that great touch would get lost unless your avatar would in fact be a manifestation of you in cyberspace and everything shown on the computer would be cyberspace and virtual systems, so the real live aspect would still be the real world including you taking place around you.

It's the small difference between a simulation and a simulation 8)
    (compare "the Sims" or "Sim city" or even "ArmA 2" with real flight or submarine simulators, where not the whole world and even the players are simulated but just the situation and your interface is sort of real and you directly are the protagonist yourself)

Last edited by ghost_sypher on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 am 

I seriously doubt it's a remake of Uplink.

If you've been reading their blog, the dude says that they're still not sure what the game is going to be.

PostPosted:Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:22 pm 

I read the blog, and it seems like a city-simulator, like SimCity. Btw, SimCity 4 > SimCity Societies.

Anyways, I want to learn procedural creation. I know it deals with algorithms, but I'm a tutorial sort of guy. :-)

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 pm 
    Organ Donor

Quote:
    the dude says that they're still not sure what the game is going to be.
    Which, in my mind, means "don't hold your breath." Forgive me for not exactly being optimistic about a project where the developers don't really know what they're doing.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:42 pm 

Quote:
    Quote:
    the dude says that they're still not sure what the game is going to be.
    Which, in my mind, means "don't hold your breath." Forgive me for not exactly being optimistic about a project where the developers don't really know what they're doing.

lol. I agree 100% with that! :)

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:31 am 

What I really really hope is that they don't force a game on what they've been doing, but release it as an engine instead.

That'll be totally rad. Hopefully they release a game built on the engine too, but best direction for that is to make it an engine.