Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Development Continues...
PostPosted:Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 pm 
Literally Nine

After what can only be described as a "considerable" stall in development, I have rediscovered coding Onlink. I haven't bothered to update the task list yet, as the number to 0.2.0 has increased considerabily. This was to be expected as I had mentioned before; a major task has been split into many more smaller tasks.

Allow me to introduce the product of a 30 minute conversation and 1,500 lines of code over the last two days: the Development HUD.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

This behemoth is the framework for the new interface and is one of the more complex subsystems to be developed in Onlink, hooking into a huge number of other classes. Very little is functional after 1,500 lines of code, but the general idea is becoming apparent.

The day before yesterday, I admitted to Tycho that I felt entirely without direction for this interface. This was a rather large problem, since the new storyline requires its existance in some form or another. He floated an idea and I started coding again. I knew I kept him around for something ;)

I shall now go over the basis for the new mockup. Feedback is, as always, welcome. I plan to do a videocast of this system (All Good Things) once these systems actually work.

Overview

The Development Interface behaves as the IRC and LAN interfaces in that it takes up far more than their smaller cousins. Once opened, it encompasses the entire screen (assuming you are running at 1024x768).

Section 1

This piece of the interface deals with research into algorithms along the lines of folding@home, distributed.net or Prime95. Computers are taken over by the player to be used as part of a distributed processing farm. Products of research can allow faster code breaking, more sophisticated security breakers, or other more advanced tools.

This is aided by two processes: taking over computers and completing missions. While hacking a machine, the computers on the network observe systems and counter systems and calculate accordingly.

Section 2

These quick-access buttons encompass the entirety of the development interface three days ago, part of why I was in such a funk. It was very boring alone, but remains for its use. Unlike the Legacy Onlink releases, you are not required to use the console for everything. Libraries can be compiled by launching the library compiler and selecting a library source file, programs can be built by selecting the makefile for the program and so on.

Section 3

Players will need to install trojan-like programs on other machines to take them over while doing hacks. Or for the hell of it.

This area will show your throughput from the machines you control. The complexity of a system (systems that utilize the "Listing", usually 5 to 8 companies in the world, are the most complex) will greatly aid in your production, though the number of computers in your network decreases the throughput. In simple terms, don't have weak level ISMs on your network if you're bringing LANs on.

"Computer Worth" will be measured in MIPS/BIPS/TIPS. Losing a system can hamper already completed research, so be sure to maintain the computers you control.

Section 4

The Console for legacy releases makes a return. Along with the ability to everything the quick-access tools can, the console, if properly used, can allow more complex procedures such as symbol replacement (which could, for instance, take a legitimate program and embed a virus into it).

Section 5

Nothing terribly special here, just a alternate databank display for your computer marked as primary development in the admin interface (see progress blog). Files that relate to development are coloured here, meaning that program and data files that normally show red and green will instead show grey here.

Anyway, this is mostly a skeleton framework and may change drastically as time goes on. It's bound to be the largest source file in the project barring the world generation class by the time it's done.

Post subject:A missive for you
PostPosted:Wed May 27, 2009 11:20 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
The day before yesterday, I admitted to Tycho that I felt entirely without direction for this interface. This was a rather large problem, since the new storyline requires its existance in some form or another. He floated an idea and I started coding again. I knew i kept him around for something ;)

Post subject:Re: Development Continues...
PostPosted:Thu May 28, 2009 4:22 am 

It looks so beautiful....

Can't wait to play with it.

Am I guessing right that this has some use for increasing the speed of password crackers and bypassers and suchlike (SEction one's description.)?

PostPosted:Fri May 29, 2009 9:09 am 

AOL:DKWiz214
:o I want it. I want it now. Make it faster :P
This is really exciting news and I can't wait to see what else you can do with it.

PostPosted:Fri May 29, 2009 11:58 am 
Literally Nine

I'm about 6% done with the interface, for an idea of scale.

The console has one command that works and one command that's being worked on.

The quick access tools have one functional program of the five shown. That part took over 350 additional lines of code.

This might take a bit. But I'm actually excited about coding it again.

PostPosted:Fri May 29, 2009 12:01 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
"help" and "finger".

PostPosted:Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
"help" and "finger".

lol, its a start :P (I'm the random leech thats been lurking around the forums for the past year or so btw :D )

i finally decided to post cause of this :mrgreen: be happy

PostPosted:Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 am 

about sedction 4 how much knowledge of C/C++ you need to be able to operate on that and make something usefull with it?

PostPosted:Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
about sedction 4 how much knowledge of C/C++ you need to be able to operate on that and make something usefull with it?
It doesn't really compile C++ code, so you don't actually need to know C++.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:11 am 

ok so does it have pre scripted commands just like uplink had with the console?

PostPosted:Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 am 

If I remember the old Nightlies correctly, you will collect libraries and source files on different servers, then you can compile and build them on your gateway using the C++ Compiler.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:14 pm 

so its easy to use :P i am not a C/c++ language talker :P never written a line of that VB some and some javascript but :P thats about it for those more like PHP / HTML

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:07 pm 

but hey maybe they could make it so you could make you own trojan via c++? like a fake one that if you know c++ you could use a programming lang in the console like c++ that you could use to do things like do automated taks like backing up files etc.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 pm 

@ bluechill:

They might want to keep it simple. It's still a game. If you make it to complex some might loose the fun of it.

If you actually have to learn C++ first to gain an advantage in the game, than it's not a game anymore.
Of corse you want some sort of freedom to keep it interesting for the more advanced players but at the same time not making it overly complex to accomodate beginners and casual players.

That's the hardest part in game development. Of corse when you are developping the game and coding, you know how everything works and is done and it's all easy to you. But it also has to be easy for others that come in touch with it for the first time.
That's hell of a job!

So maybe some sort of easy pseudo code would be best. Maybe general commands are explained somewhere in a tutorial and than you could buy additional advanced tutorials with advanced commands for higher and higher prices at the research serveres and maybe even find some ...

So far: well done Miah, keep it up. It looks great!

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:34 am 

Fuck me,yes!

Although, it'll be even more awesome if we had the ability to write C++/*insert language here* and use it IG.

But this is sheer awesomeness as it is.