Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Strange internet problem
    PostPosted:Wed May 20, 2009 3:00 am 

I'm asking here because google yields no help for this.

After about 8 hours of my computer being on (I think about 8 hours haven't really timed it), I suddenly lose the ability to connect to a bunch of websites. For example, I cannot access IGN.com, but I can access xbox360.IGN.com. Gamespot will load, but will load as if i'd clicked view>page style>no style in my browser window. I cannot access steam's website, and steam will not connect.

Rebooting my computer seems to fix this to an extent; I can then access most websites, but a lot of them like Gamespot continue to not load correctly. Also, due to a bizarre monitor problem, rebooting is not in my interest.

I also can't get on things like the BBC's website or newgrounds. I've done a full system scan with AntiVir, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot.

So does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

And as a side note, my monitor; If it is turned off (Either manually on the monitor or by reboot or shutdown) the LED on the power button will flash to say no signal if it is turned back on again. The only way to make it work is to unplug it and leave it for about 20 minutes. It also turns off if any app or game etc tries to run at any resolution or refresh rate other than 1280x1024 and 60hz. So if you have any idea what's going on there as well i'd appreciate the help.

Edit. Bizarrely, it appears that certain games will crash the second the game starts during this time. A couple of games i'm playing at the moment (Evil Genius, Theme Park World and Experience112/The Experiment) work fine normally, but during the time my internet plays up, they seem to crash before I'm 30 seconds in.

Post subject:Re: Strange internet problem
    PostPosted:Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 pm 
    Literally Nine

Sounds like a flaky DNS server. Try using OpenDNS.

As for the monitor problem, try a different monitor.

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 9:23 am 

As for the monitor I have a backup CRT piece of crap that I use when this one goes down. I know I need to replace this one, i'm just interested in why it's doing what it's doing and I can't find any ideas elsewhere.

I really have no idea what this DNS thing is. If I set up an account with this OpenDNS thing and use it, can I revert to my original settings if necessary?

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 9:29 am 
    Literally Nine

Quote:
    I really have no idea what this DNS thing is. If I set up an account with this OpenDNS thing and use it, can I revert to my original settings if necessary?
    Account? You don't need an account. I even pointed you to the page that has (right in the center) a point-and-click guide.

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 9:36 am 

Sorry my bad, I navigated away from the page you landed me on, and saw "Log in or create account" at the top of the page.

The page recommends setting up a DNS for my router seeing as i'm a home user. However, no one else in the house is getting the problem i'm having, and I don't need to reboot the router to fix the problem, only my pc. Which would you recommend? I really have no idea what this will do so I don't feel like jacking anything up.

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 10:53 am 

I setup openDNS on my computer and there's no changes to the problems from before. Thanks for your advice anyway.

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 11:16 am 
    Literally Nine

Well, let's eliminate hardware problems. Burn yourself a Linux live cd and see if you have the same flaky internet while booted into that. If not, then the easiest solution is to reformat your Windows partition.

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 pm 

Will Ubuntu work for that?

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 1:22 pm 

Ubuntu will work, but seeing as you just need to test I'd pick a small distro like Puppy or DSL. Google around and find one.

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 2:52 pm 

Quote:
    Ubuntu will work, but seeing as you just need to test I'd pick a small distro like Puppy or DSL. Google around and find one.
    I'm interested in actually using Ubuntu so I might try and install that. I think I might just deal with the situation for the next few weeks though; I don't wanna take any risk at jacking my harddrive up right before the end of college.

Edit. Wait, by Linux live, do you mean where you basically run the OS off of a CD-ROM?

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 5:53 pm 
    Literally Nine

Quote:
    Edit. Wait, by Linux live, do you mean where you basically run the OS off of a CD-ROM?
    Yes. An Ubuntu disc probably works best, but I only say that because I don't know what other live distros have X11 and Firefox.

PostPosted:Thu May 21, 2009 7:15 pm 

I'll give this a try on the weekend maybe. Seeing as it takes a good many hours before anything happens, i'll whack it on overnight and check it in the morning.

PostPosted:Fri May 22, 2009 9:04 am 

Ok I think that OpenDNS thing actually did solve my problem. After rebooting yesterday evening to get Steam to work, I left my machine on all night and 10 hours later everything is still fine. Thanks.