Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Should I go for six gigs?
PostPosted:Sun May 24, 2009 5:44 am 

Manny people think of Vista not as the pinnacle rather than an abomination of what it should have been.
I wouldn't claim drivers for Vista got more work put into them. XP is around longer and is wide spread. Manufacturers and Programmers had a lot of time to optimise their products and drivers and they actually do, what the programmer wants them to do (not like Vista canceling out not homebrew not certified drivers).
If I want to run EAX, I want it, and not Vista telling me: "no, sorry, we won't let you".
OK, with 64bit you can address more memory space natively. But as Tycho mentioned, there are ways around that problem in 32bit and 32bit is actually executed faster, because 64bit commands are longer. You can stuff more into a 64bit command, true, but that also makes it bloated. There is the advantage of easier addressing, but there are also disadvantages. That's partly also why the switch from 32bit to 64bit isn't that much of a quantum leap anymore as it was for instance with going from 16bit to 32bit.
The further the progress, the smaller the improvements and the higher the complexity and costs.
So the advantage of 64bit shrinks a lot if most of the data is presented in 32bit or less (e.g. ASCII Unicode character set is 16bit).
Of course for floating point calculations and huge numbers the standards are 32bit, 64bit and 80bit. 64bit has an advantage over 32bit obviously because the operations can be done in less cycles. That's the reason why Cray supercomputers were always 64bit and also why there are no 128bit computers today.
Addressing huge memory spaces and calculating huge numbers or long floating points are important nowadays in the area of servers, scientific applications, simulations and graphics. AND WITH GRAPHICS is meant really really complex ones like for filmstudios, medical stuff, 3D oil research, CAD, ...
Not what you are usually using at home for watching your HD-movie, or playing you favorite computer game.

I won't go into in what way Vista is not efficient. I think the internet is full of that.
Since you also owe a Mac and use Linux: just compare what resources Vista needs to what OsX needs, what Linux needs to do similar stuff. Lets say to run you HD movie. Does Vista preferably need more RAM, Higher CPU speeds and a faster Graphics card?
Or just what it needs to run (fluently) at all. And we are talking about 32bit here, not even the 64bit versions yet.