Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Penny Arcade Expo 2009 Meet-up
PostPosted:Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:57 pm 
Literally Nine

Miah and I will be at the Penny Arcade Expo (Sept. 4-6, 2009). Is anyone here going to PAX? If so, interested in meeting?

Post subject:Re: Penny Arcade Expo 2009 Meet-up
PostPosted:Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Why does all of the fun shit happen on the opposite side of the country? Back when I lived on the West Coast, all I ever heard about were the awesome cons on the East Coast. Now that I live on the East Coast, all the awesome cons happen on the West. D:<

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:37 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
Why does all of the fun shit happen on the opposite side of the country? Back when I lived on the West Coast, all I ever heard about were the awesome cons on the East Coast. Now that I live on the East Coast, all the awesome cons happen on the West. D:<

-- Griffinhart
How do you think I feel? I'm not on any of the coasts! :p

PostPosted:Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 pm 
Literally Nine

I guess it'll just be Miah and me, then? Any other people here going to PAX?

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:33 am 

Nope, not setting a foot on US soil voluntarily until that government has abolished its biometric data collecting.
Baybe, if I come with a boat over the great lakes from Canada...

So have fun you guys. And remember us few followers. We are with you in our thoughts.

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:22 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
If I had money, I could probably move to Washington in time for PAX. (Seeing as I'm attending DigiPen.)

Then again, if I had money, this whole college thing wouldn't be such a huge problem... *Sigh*

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 pm 
Organ Donor

Quote:
Nope, not setting a foot on US soil voluntarily until that government has abolished its biometric data collecting.
:?

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:37 pm 

Well, I would join you guys more often, IF I wasnt on the opposite hemisphere...

PostPosted:Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:57 pm 

Do you cut along the equator to split in northern and southern hemisphere or do you allow hemispherical cuts where ever to distingush betwwen Miahs and Tychos position and the spherical opposit site?

Last of which would have you situated somewhere in the Indian ocean. I guess you are Ausi? I like the Ausis :mrgreen:

PostPosted:Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:54 pm 

Ermm, ok, so I know you are addicted to taking everything to the letter... but the term "hemisphere" is actually used only to define souther/northen hemispheres. So yeah, I'm pretty much from the Brazillian south.

PostPosted:Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:45 pm 
Literally Nine

Quote:
... but the term "hemisphere" is actually used only to define souther/northen hemispheres.
hemisphere |ˈheməˌsfi(ə)r|
noun
a half of a sphere.
• a half of the earth, usually as divided into northern and southern halves by the equator, or into western and eastern halves by an imaginary line passing through the poles.

PostPosted:Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 pm 

Well now, got me on that one.. sorry about that. In portuguese, the exact translation "Hemisfério" means only the halves cut by an equator (and since the Earth only has one equator due to it not being spherical, we have a different term for divisions made by meridians. That, or we just like making things more complicated.)

Either way, sorry 'bout that, g.s.

PostPosted:Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 am 

I don't hope beeing addicted -as you call it- taking everything to the letter.
I hope I do not appear as an insufferable know-it-all to you.
But I do appreciate being specific and accurate. Unfortunately nowadays it doesn't seem to be a desirable virtue to express oneself precisely.
I'm sure even in Portuguese the word Hemisfério means more than just northern and southern hemisphere of the earth. Unregarded of how propably most people use it in the public with a certain meaning (which doesn't justify poor or wrong use). I'm sure there is more if you look it up in an proper encyclopaedia (not necessarily WiKipedia!).
With such great discoverers and explorers such as Bartolomeu Diaz, Vasco da Gama, Ferdinand de Magellan and else the Portuguese must know that.

Just to explain the confusion, so you might understand the need for more accurate explanation resulting in the misinterpretation of your location.
A hemisphere just means "half of a sphere".
It is used in the terms like e.g. "northern hemisphere" and "southern hemisphere" to differentiate between a northern and southern half sphere of e.g. the earth as cut along the equator.
But using just the term "hemisphere" doesn't necessarily lead to that very distinction.
Any great circle cuts a sphere into two equal hemispheres.
A great circle is a circle with its center at the center of the sphere.
The equator and the meridians are only few examples of great circles.

PostPosted:Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:35 am 

Quote:
I don't hope beeing addicted -as you call it- taking everything to the letter.
I hope I do not appear as an insufferable know-it-all to you.
But I do appreciate being specific and accurate. Unfortunately nowadays it doesn't seem to be a desirable virtue to express oneself precisely.
In no way you appear as "an insufferable know-it-all", in fact I think the desire to express yourself as precise as possible something admirable!
Quote:
I'm sure even in Portuguese the word Hemisfério means more than just northern and southern hemisphere of the earth. Unregarded of how propably most people use it in the public with a certain meaning (which doesn't justify poor or wrong use). I'm sure there is more if you look it up in an proper encyclopaedia (not necessarily WiKipedia!).
That's true, I'm sorry. But the problem is this wrong meaning is so strong among the general public, that my geography teacher taught me that "there are only two hemispheres, the north and the south."
Quote:
Ferdinand de Magellan
Didn't know this one, thanks! :classy:
Quote:
Just to explain the confusion, so you might understand the need for more accurate explanation resulting in the misinterpretation of your location.
A hemisphere just means "half of a sphere".
It is used in the terms like e.g. "northern hemisphere" and "southern hemisphere" to differentiate between a northern and southern half sphere of e.g. the earth as cut along the equator.
But using just the term "hemisphere" doesn't necessarily lead to that very distinction.
Any great circle cuts a sphere into two equal hemispheres.
A great circle is a circle with its center at the center of the sphere.
The equator and the meridians are only few examples of great circles.
After some research (and asking a former maths teacher), I found out the term "Hemisphere" shouldn't even be used to describe the Earth, seeing as the Earth isn't spherical, but rather oval. In this case, the Equator and the Meridians would be great elipses (correct me if my translation is wrong :b). I haven't searched this in english, though, so I don't really have any articles to prove me right. Of course, that doesn't make it geographically wrong to say this...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miah will soon or later ban us both for discussing this kind of stuff on the Penny Arcade topic :mrgreen:

PostPosted:Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:45 am 

You are very polite. An adorable attribute that is increasingly seldom encountered on internet forums, web comments and blogs and seems to become more and more scarce.

You are absolutely right when saying in reality the earth isn't even a sphere but rather an ellipsoid an not even that! It more looks like a potato (especially gravimetric).
Well, we could agree that most orbs (the earth included) have a sufficiantly approximate spherical form so one could transform them with a certain error rate into ideal spherical object for simplification. :wink:

Which is what enables the use of globes with flat printed surfaces instead of carved out potato-shaped objects. :lol:

A rule says: a model is always a simplification, an abstraction of reality and never can describe or simulate reality in whole. A absolute realistic model wouldn't be a model anymore but reality itself.
A fact some climate scientists of the younger generation seem to have forgotten :wink: