Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Windows 7 anyone?
PostPosted:Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm 

Anyone using/tried Windows 7 yet? I just installed the beta on my laptop, the XP installation was screwed up anyways so I didn't care. So far, I love it. Also, it's fast.

I've never tried Vista, so I can't really compare the two. I have noticed a speed increase from XP, so that's a plus. From what I've heard, 7 is 2.5x faster than Vista and 1.5x faster than XP, I think I agree with that, the latter of the two anyway.

I'm in the process of installing it on a spare drive that I just hooked up to my desktop machine. ATI has beta drivers out for my 2600 in my desktop, but not the Xpress 200m in my laptop, so soon I'll be able to see how pretty Windows 7 really looks.

So yeah, has anyone tried it yet?

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:Re: Windows 7 anyone?
PostPosted:Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:33 pm 
Literally Nine

Windows 7 seems great thus far. I'm just hoping it keeps the quality level it's at when it's eventually released.

PostPosted:Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:41 am 

Me too.

I ran into a bit of trouble with my desktop, as I'm on the other side of the house I use a PCI wireless card, and there are limited drivers out right now compatible with Windows 7 (to be expected). So, I'm in the process of configuring one of my spare access points as a client... hopefully it should work.

If not, I'll bug my Dad until he runs ethernet to my room. :D

PostPosted:Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm 

Quote:
Anyone using/tried Windows 7 yet? I just installed the beta on my laptop, the XP installation was screwed up anyways so I didn't care. So far, I love it. Also, it's fast.

I've never tried Vista, so I can't really compare the two. I have noticed a speed increase from XP, so that's a plus. From what I've heard, 7 is 2.5x faster than Vista and 1.5x faster than XP, I think I agree with that, the latter of the two anyway.

I'm in the process of installing it on a spare drive that I just hooked up to my desktop machine. ATI has beta drivers out for my 2600 in my desktop, but not the Xpress 200m in my laptop, so soon I'll be able to see how pretty Windows 7 really looks.

So yeah, has anyone tried it yet?
How many cd's or dvd´s of installation disk?
Which the minimum hard for this system?
How much of space does occupy after having installed?
32 or 64 bits?
I think you will have to have the advisable " hard " to use and to feel some improvement in the system, my hard here is modest, unlike most still use 32bits, AGP 256, AMD 2800, RAM 3G, HD GO 2x80 the cost/benefit it doesn't compensate to change now of PC.
If the system is new will there be certain difficulty of finding updated driver's and do I believe that windows 7 is system for final user, did I get right? then I will never use this, the systems destined to servers he/she has larger reliability, now I use the windows 2003 that only has version server, I am thinking about migrating for windows 2008 that is also server.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 pm 

Quote:
How many cd's or dvd´s of installation disk?
Which the minimum hard for this system?
How much of space does occupy after having installed?
32 or 64 bits?
I think you will have to have the advisable " hard " to use and to feel some improvement in the system, my hard here is modest, unlike most still use 32bits, AGP 256, AMD 2800, RAM 3G, HD GO 2x80 the cost/benefit it doesn't compensate to change now of PC.
If the system is new will there be certain difficulty of finding updated driver's and do I believe that windows 7 is system for final user, did I get right? then I will never use this, the systems destined to servers he/she has larger reliability, now I use the windows 2003 that only has version server, I am thinking about migrating for windows 2008 that is also server.
Most, if not all of your questions (hardware-related anyways) can be answered here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

It was one DVD, I chose 32bit, but there is a 64bit option. On my desktop, I had no driver problems, aside from my wireless card, which wasn't intelligently purchased on my part anyways. The only problem I have on my laptop is zero audio, due to Conexant not being included in HP laptops as much as it was when I bought mine. (Many manufacturers have moved to RealTek and such...)

Hasn't crashed either, so I'm happy. :)

PostPosted:Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:19 am 

I hope they finally get that nifty new File system they have been going on about for the... last +6 years.

Other then that, if it has better preformance then XP and its not annoying as all bloody hell, I just might upgrade (finally). If not I am hopeful XP x64 has enough juice left in it to get me by till I get a Mac (the only other REAL option).

PostPosted:Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 am 
Literally Nine

I really couldn't care less about WinFS anymore. It had some interesting ideas, but nothing so interesting that it would actually be worthy of all the hype. If you want to see a -really- interesting filesystem, check out ZFS. It's one of the very very few bright spots of OpenSolaris.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 am 

Ahh, yeah, I saw that awhile ago, interesting, but I don't need to boil the oceans. ;)

PostPosted:Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:53 pm 

Well, I'm switching over to Kubuntu. Why? It's not that Windows 7 is a bad OS, no. I think something went wrong during installation on my desktop and everything has gone down the tubes in the past day or so. Truthfully, I want to reinstall Windows 7 on my desktop and see if that fixes things, but alas, my DVD seems to have died as well. So, I'm just going to wait for the release candidate or something, when Windows 7 is showing it's fully glory. (That is, if Microsoft doesn't screw it up.)

PostPosted:Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:55 am 

Quote:
That is, if Microsoft doesn't screw it up.
Well lets look at a tentative timeline
3.1: Good
NT: Good
95: Good
98: Good
ME: Fail
2000: Good
XP: Good
Vista: Fail

Mapping out the pattern, we can see that Windows 7 has a 50% chance at being good, due to such a poor sample size (once again all MS fault for not failing more in the past). The pattern is either -2 or /2 good versions between failures. ;)

I hope no one takes this completely seriously.

PostPosted:Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:02 am 

Quote:
Wait, what?

PostPosted:Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Wait, what?
Compared to earlier OS, like say 3.1, it was great. Abet it was nothing compared to later OSes. (But thats the point no?)

PostPosted:Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 pm 

Well I got Vista about a month ago (And about to put 64 bit on just to make use of my 8gb of RAM) and personally I think it's sweet. I guess you programmy people are allowed to talk crap about it, but I get sick of casual users who've barely used the damn thing (IE All my friends) who rip on it saying "It doesn't work the way I want!"

I'll switch to Windows 7 after it's been out for a while. Don't fancy messing about with drivers and stuff.

PostPosted:Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:11 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
I'm not one of those so-called "programmy" people (yeah, I can program a bit in Java and C++, but I don't know the intricacies of any OSes, nor do I have any Intimacies in coding languages or computer engineering [also, +1 Geek Point to anyone who gets the reference]), and I utterly despise Vista just from observing my friends' experiences with it. One couldn't run anything that required the actual use of his video cards (he was/is running ATI cards, and kept getting the "pinstriped screen of doom" any time he tried to play any game whatsoever, despite having tried every driver from hell and back [granted, this is ATI's fault for not being able to write drivers for Vista]) and the others have had varying degrees of failure with Vista (everything from having through go through years of digital red tape to install a single program from Vista simply not allowing them to install anything whatsoever).

Oh, and there's the whole "Vista = bloat" thing. IIRC, Tycho had a graph that charted the hard drive space occupied by MS's various operating systems... Vista was pushing over 10gb.

-- Griffinhart (is glad he didn't have to get Vista.)

PostPosted:Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:28 am 

I have installed Windows Vista on my Laptop and WinXP on my Desktop, because the Desktop is too old to handle Vista, let alone the Driver support.

So my expierence with WinXP was and is quite positiv. But compared to Windows Vista I have to say, Vista is much better.
For me its stable, its quite fast, I didn´t had that much problems with the Drivers etc. Everything is running as it should :)

And for Windows 7, I didn´t test it yet, but a friend of mine did and he said it is faster then Vista, Drivers from Vista work on Windows 7 and it feels different then Vista but good different.

I am definitely looking forward to getting Windows 7 into my hands, especially i am getting it for Free and legit :)