Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Wiki re-skin
PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:01 am 

G'day everyone,

Tycho and Miah seem to have given me permission to muck with the wiki CSS, and as such I've done a bunch of customisation to bring the wiki colours in-line with the forums.

As always, you can find the wiki at:

http://www.ferrousmoon.com/wiki

If it doesn't look any different (or looks awful), then please shift-reload the page to refresh the stylesheet.

Where possible, I've moved styled sections into proper CSS classes, and used separate stanzas for the new darker theme, which should make it easy to return to the old colours if desired.

There are a few niggling bits I don't like, but everything should be readable, and most things, I dare say, should even look nice.

I've checked preferences, diffs, error pages, edit pages, and anything else I can think of, however if you find anything that's ugly, missing, or broken, then please let me know. A response to this thread is preferred. You can also respond if you like the changes, and wish to say so.

If things go badly, or it's decided that such colours should not be unleashed upon an unsuspecting world, then removing or commenting out all "themed" sections in the stylesheet should return things to normal, although you can ask me nicely and I'll do the hard work.

Comments, suggestions, patches welcome.

Paul

Post subject:Re: Wiki re-skin
PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:46 am 

The logo sticks out a bit, but other than that, great job. :)

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:22 am 
Organ Donor

External links that are inside boxes are hard to read.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:55 am 
Literally Nine

Same with visited links. Do you know enough about templates to make one for the right handed Onlink/CrissCross/Xeno pages? They're about the only things that still stand out.

PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:39 pm 

Quote:
The logo sticks out a bit.
I don't like the logo on the dark background either. I think changing the brackets to electric-blue would make it look much nicer, as would nicking the moon from the forums. It may take me a while to fix these, because my graphics skills are generally suckful.
Quote:
External links that are inside boxes are hard to read.
Fixed, although alternate colour suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking of using a darker colour for the front boxes, so they still stand out, but we have more contrast on the text.
Quote:
Same with visited links.
I'm having a little trouble reproducing this, the stylesheet tries to ensure that all links (visited or not) are the same colour, although I would love to provide some visual distinction between the two.

Any chance you can let me know your browser, and confirm that it's only visited links which are problematic, with unvisited links being fine? I think all the links on the frontpage boxes could do with a little more contrast.
Quote:
Do you know enough about templates to make one for the right handed Onlink/CrissCross/Xeno pages?
I do indeed. You should see new ones today.

As always, you may need to do a shift-reload to see the new styles.

Paul

PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:12 pm 
Literally Nine

The login page needs work. The background in the box is -white-.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:04 am 

Quote:
The login page needs work. The background in the box is -white-.
Nice spot! Fixed, although I think the "Log in" title could look less ugly.
Quote:
Do you know enough about templates to make one for the right handed Onlink/CrissCross/Xeno pages?
Partially fixed. I've implemented a simple template based upon the ones used on English Wikipedia, but without all the parser expressions since we don't have the relevant module installed. The layout still needs to be fixed, but you can see the current working copy on the Onlink page.

I've got yet another flight leaving soon, so you may not see much more productivity from me today.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:03 pm 
Literally Nine

I have no idea what extension I need for this. I know what you're talking about though, I was looking for the #if etc extensions before. Never found one though...

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:14 pm 

Quote:
I have no idea what extension I need for this. I know what you're talking about though, I was looking for the #if etc extensions before. Never found one though...
The extension is ParserFunctions. As with most mediawiki extensions, it involves downloading a bunch of files and putting them in a special place in order to install. I'll save you my rant about mediawiki needing a real install system.

If you're ever curious as to "how did Wikipedia do X?", there's a list of extensions on its version page.

Personally I'd love to see MediaWiki templates replaced with a syntax that can be understood by humans rather than by one that can only be understood by the irreparably insane. Unfortunately, due to mediawiki's long and glorious history, I don't think that's ever going to happen.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:19 pm 
Literally Nine

I've added the parser functions.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:02 pm 

Quote:
I've added the parser functions.
And the template is done. I've removed the use of the alternating rows template, since I couldn't get it working with even the most simple examples. If we want nice-looking alternating rows, I actually think it's much easier to use javascript (which can find the table and make every second row a different class) than to debug what's going on in the horror that is the alternating rows template.

A sample template call looks like this:
Code:
{{Infobox VG |title = Onlink |image = [[Image:OnlinkIcon.png]] |developer = [[Ferrous Moon]] |publisher = None |designer = Miah Clayton, Steven Noonan, Alastair Lynn, Nick Farley |version = [http://www.onlink-mod.net/?page=download 0.1.2] |platform = Windows, Linux, Mac OS X |released = 1 July 2005 - Legacy Nighty 15<br> 16 November 2007 - 0.1.2 |genre = Hacking simulation |modes = Single player |ratings = Not rated |media = Download |requirements = 300 MHz CPU, 32MB RAM, 25MB hard disk, OpenGL-capable graphics card (''only required by versions prior to 0.1.0'') |input = Keyboard and mouse }}
And it produces the infobox as seen on the Onlink page.

Since this is a stripped-down version of the Wikipedia Videogames Infobox, you should be able to use all the options described there.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 pm 
Organ Donor

Does it support different skins for different sections? Like a separate Xenos skin, etc.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:40 pm 

Quote:
I actually think it's much easier to use javascript (which can find the table and make every second row a different class) than to debug what's going on in the horror that is the alternating rows template.
And I've now added the javascript to do this. My javascript skills are pretty marginal, so feel free to improve upon it if desired.
Quote:
Does it support different skins for different sections? Like a separate Xenos skin, etc.
Nope. They're all "onlink themed" colours everywhere, just like the rest of the Ferrous Moon website. While it's certainly possible to have different skins for different sections, doing so would be a significant undertaking, and well beyond my current resources.

PostPosted:Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. They're all "onlink themed" colours everywhere, just like the rest of the Ferrous Moon website. While it's certainly possible to have different skins for different sections, doing so would be a significant undertaking, and well beyond my current resources.
I think you should be worrying more about finishing the project than how you'll make it fit in the wiki.

By this, I don't mean you, but rather a certain lazy brit. I'll find a way to skin Xenos. I might know someone who can (not a lot of Wiki-fu, but a lot a CSS-jutsu.)

PostPosted:Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
(not a lot of Wiki-fu, but a lot a CSS-jutsu.)
I believe it goes Google-fu, CSS-jutsu, Wiki Media Do.

@Topic: /me likes the recolors. They're a shade darker than the Ferrous Moon colors, though.

-- Griffinhart