Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Onlink: Going under the hood...
PostPosted:Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:54 am 
Literally Nine

Many days, I don't have the time to do certain parts of Onlink that I would like to. These times are usually during quite insignificant events like waiting for the bus. Hardly enough time to spec out that new interface.

However, there are some things I can do rather easily. Those little nagging things.

Every month having 30 days. That's just wrong.
Missions only show up on 00:00 or 12:00. Just doesn't seem right.
Admins use only a fixed timetable for checking security breaches. Wha?

Things like this keep me going on the larger parts, for a few reasons. I don't think "I would code more, but I don't have the time for it" and more importantly, they don't distract me from my current task. Many times I would start a large piece (more recently: accessing your gateway's log banks) to find something that should have (in my mind) done long ago (more recently, redux: the Gateway class was not a subclass of Computer, meaning your gateway HAD no logs!)

It's these little things that also used to drive me nuts because they always broke the fourth wall. It could be because I'm a touch obsessive, but I have an idea that I'm not the only one out there.

I would like, if anyone sees those tiny nagging things, to tell me now. Does something just not feel right to you? Let me know in this topic.

Oh, and, as an aside note: people who kept begging for an autobouncer: IT IS DONE.

Post subject:Re: Onlink: Going under the hood...
PostPosted:Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:49 am 

something not right...

well theres a problem with Money

even if you hammer every single mission with "i want all payment now", you'll allways end up with "not enought money" to buy... whatever you need to do missions (im specifically talkin about Bypassers, however if you try disablers/killers, you simply go out-of-harddrive :p)

oh and GCD missions should have better payment... (well... i often get stuck at VDPIN)

PostPosted:Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:55 am 

Just get one of those "trace a recent balance transfer" -missions and steal the money from the account you trace. VoilĂ . If that doesn't count, well, then I agree. Missions don't really pay well :-/

As for the VDPIN, just work your way from top to bottom. Really, it's simple.

PostPosted:Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:46 pm 

Hmm, maybe the fact that the only news is hacking news, even though it is a hacking game. Maybe stuff about stocks. Also stocks are not changed enough, I have pretty muched broken all the computers of the opposition of a client. AND NO STOCK CHANGE.

Also, maybe selling software? I hate having to rebuy stuff.

PostPosted:Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:58 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
That stocks update monthly pisses me off. I don't like waiting that long, cordamnit. But... I'm not sure if that's a "nagging little thing" as much as it is "something that pisses FinalWarrior off".

Apparently, the player is 0 cm tall. What the hell? Is it possible to add a screen (or some input boxes) at character creation (for the lack of a better phrase) to gather information about the player? (Of course, don't bother if this turns out to be a larger change instead of a "nagging little thing".)

-- Griffinhart

PS. YAY AUTOBOUNCER

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:59 am 

Im late for this post, but i havent been cheking the forums lately... like many.

In "the future" forum i used to brainstorm small things... i started gravediggin to find some of them, and here they are...

1rst. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=906
hardware should deteriorate over time. perhaps soft too. Even so more if you keep using them as heavily as we will be doing next update (fuckin ram).

2nd. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=852
Secretaries!
How many times did you get the owner of a big company to answer the phone? They have those sexy girls to do that.
and that thread also gives a question. Do companies change owners over time? Or over terrible management?

3rd. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=903
The possibility to sort your IP list by ip number.

4th. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=923
A whole bunch of bleh bleh about banks that dont really come in handy for this post, but there is something in particular i still feel should be changed. Negative accounts. You shouldn't be able to go under 0, unless its some kind of credit system. But i pointed mostly at npcs accounts. they get to under 0, and remain there... adn they arent jailed.

and by the way, is money static? or some more is created after some time?

i think thats it. there are some other ones. looks like i was hot for a more dynamic world back then... probably will again after playing again :P

and one thing to add about the stock thingy... give us an option to buy more stocks in one click... i mean... buying 100 is a pain in the ass :P

BTW miah, i WILL get you some female voices. Promise.

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:12 am 
Literally Nine

Quote:
1rst. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=906
hardware should deteriorate over time. perhaps soft too. Even so more if you keep using them as heavily as we will be doing next update (fuckin ram).
Working on it...
Quote:
2nd. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=852
Secretaries!
How many times did you get the owner of a big company to answer the phone? They have those sexy girls to do that.
and that thread also gives a question. Do companies change owners over time? Or over terrible management?
NNNNNNG. NO. I really don't like the idea of secretaries. Besides, it appears to be home phones. Could maybe be a different way to go about it, but this isn't the way.

Also: companies change admins/managers because of their old ones being jailed etc. It adds more to the "ruin a life" thing.
Quote:
Clarify? I didn't get the point then, I don't get it now.
Quote:
4th. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=923
A whole bunch of bleh bleh about banks that dont really come in handy for this post, but there is something in particular i still feel should be changed. Negative accounts. You shouldn't be able to go under 0, unless its some kind of credit system. But i pointed mostly at npcs accounts. they get to under 0, and remain there... adn they arent jailed.

and by the way, is money static? or some more is created after some time?
I considered that a bug. And it's ficed. A bit cheesy- people get it from anonymous donations. What better way to throw up a red flag saying "investigation into corruption"? Maybe I can throw down a mafia-style storyline later to find where all this damn money is coming from...
Quote:
BTW miah, i WILL get you some female voices. Promise.
Yay, woo

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 am 

Quote:
NNNNNNG. NO. I really don't like the idea of secretaries. Besides, it appears to be home phones. Could maybe be a different way to go about it, but this isn't the way.
Allright, but just to be picky, if it's home phone, they shouldn't answer at work hours.
Quote:
Quote:
Clarify? I didn't get the point then, I don't get it now.

In your main window, the server list. Sort by like stuff. little arrows next to the ip button, name button. I remember havinng a great use for that back then... Now all i can think about is "it would be easier to find the one youre looking for".
Probably bank jobs.

PD: Options:
BBCode is OFF
how do i turn it on?

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:14 am 
Literally Nine

I did some other funky junk to the links screen. We'll see what you think later.

Time for a new video I think....

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 am 

Oh you darned teaser. Throw it at us as it is.

You know the cycle will start again if you do.

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 am 
Literally Nine

Cycle? Wut?

Also, I would throw it to you as is, but I cannot. I do not have my dev computer online, and therefore, no screenshots.

Besides, it would be best to show this bit interactive.

PostPosted:Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:50 pm 

I'm going to cry with want. A video :').

PostPosted:Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:49 am 

That cycle where you get a new version online, and everyone comes back, some more new people join, the forum comes back to life, some time goes on, everyone stops posting, it dies again, you get a new version online, everyone comes back... you get the point.

PostPosted:Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:06 pm 

I played the original Uplink a whole lot more than I played Onlink, so some of these might have been already solved.

In those "Our estimated colleague want to make a donation" jobs, you are paid more than the donation itself. Mind it is always possible that the donations are made for blackmailing purposes rather than being theft, but it always bothered me.

The whole world is populated by ~100 persons (persons, not portraits) and 50 companies. I don't know if increasing that number to 1000 persons and 100 companies would make the game too heavy in term of computer ressources, or if it would bother folks here that these 1000 persons share the same portraits, but it always irked me that the world in Uplink is so small.

Also, when you keep attacking the same company, it should eventually go bankrupt and disappears from the game to be replaced by another company.

That game also need less faceless NPCs and companies, so it would actually be fun or heartbreaking to see their lives ruined or see them succeed. People and companies that would be mentionned very often in the news.

You don't have deadlines to accomplish jobs. You can let the jobs collect dust until you have 10 or 15, and do them all in a row. I think after 3 or 4 days of inactions, employers should find another persons for the job, and it should reflect negatively on your rating, you're not the sole agent on the internet afterall. Asking for more money or "half of the money now" should result in a shorter deadline, and an even more negative repercution on your reputation if you cancel or fail the job.

You can accomplish a job on a server, collect the money, then go back and undo everything you've done on that server minutes ago, and nobody ever complain.

Everytime you permanently delete a file, the game should scan if the file is associated to a job. Jobs that become unaccomplishable that are still in the jobs list should disappear from the list. If you accepted a job and it is now unaccomplishable, you should receive an email from your employer telling you, or another agent, made the job unaccomplishable. A possible new gameplay mechanic maybe, more than one agent competing for the same job or 2 mutually exclusive jobs (Steal a software's code/Destroy a software in development).

PostPosted:Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:38 pm 

I used to have a bad habit at the beginning of the game that I would delete all the data in the databanks of the system I hacked and later someone would ask me to steal the data. Generally because at low levels they won't tell you who the target is, so I have to then forfit the mission and get yelled at by Company #42.