Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Re: Onlink: Going under the hood...
PostPosted:Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:47 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:xmodctech
AOL:rebeliousness434
Well, it seems that some people have forgotten the simple fact that this is a GAME. Since this is just a GAME, I would appreciate the fact that someone took the time to add as much depth to this GAME. Now, programing diff credit levels, and adding more joke or gag servers would be great to have, but.....ITS JUST A GAME. Granted a great GAME, but still just a GAME. Chill out with the crazy realism guys. Who cares if the credit is the same for everyone, or whether a server is tied into a movie or not. Sounds cool, but the amount of recoding going on right now is going to take long enough with out all the extras. I will get off my soap box now.....GAME GAMEGAMEGAMEGAMEGAMEGAME GAME GAME

PostPosted:Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:01 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Verisimilitude.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:11 pm 

Sorry if this is not true/irrelevant, it's just a finding of mine from playing the game some:
This hacking gig is not sustainable. I mean, if after a couple months all technology moves into the stratosphere, and all missions that are of a low ranking have been completed (and not paid enough)...How's a guy supposed to make scratch? I mean, I get that you're supposed to race towards super-mega-bank hacks, but there are other hackers that don't become superstars, right? Yet they'd be out of a job in a month. Maybe I just like RPG-style grinding a little too much, but I'd appreciate there being doable entry-level missions always - maybe new companies with lax security crop up once in a while and new entry level missions get posted for them, or something a lot more code-able than that, I dunno. Maybe companies that you haven't hacked in a <time segment> amount of time get their security downgraded slightly (to a base minimum) so that you can theoretically always have doable Academic Database missions that don't require Ultra-Mega-Progs, as long as you don't abuse this by hacking them three times a day.

Another thing that's always bothered me: Very discreet hacks, like Academic Database editing for credentials, get noticed and the Database upgrades its security even though you left no traces. If you hack sufficiently cleanly and do something discreet, shouldn't they not notice? At least on fairly low security systems? Assuming you don't use obvious log deleters or other noticeable brute-force methods? Similarly, people notice compromised admin accounts very damn quickly, even if you are being discreet and leave no trace. I mean, shouldn't it take a couple days? Even if they check, many companies wouldn't do account security sweeps of a high magnitude more than once a week - it takes computer resources and man-hours - unless it's a mainframe or other very high-security system.

I understand that some of these things alter game balance though. Sigh.

PostPosted:Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 pm 

Well I don't know that I understood if right... but here this innovation suggestion to win more money in the game

actions manipulating in the stock exchange.
It can be bought cheap actions of 1 company and later to drop service of some rival company or other harmful action that would make the value of the actions of the rival company to fall and to increase the value of the actions of the company that was benefitted. The sale of these actions should have a significant difference.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 pm 

Quote:
3.) The wireless router on the VirtuaNET. Does it really work? Why is that the only gateway that can have it? (Yay, now there's almost a point to having more than 2 security slots.)
Does the VirtuaNET gateway have wireless modem-style security functional in 0.1.1?