Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Wanna Start Off...
PostPosted:Thu May 15, 2008 10:34 am 

ok so i wanna learn how to code or whatever you call it.
i mean onlink is cool...very cool but sometimes there are those little things that may be better if there was a quick tweak... i know i could just request it but by myself if there is only one little thing bugging me i might as well edit myself.

but theres one small problem. i'm a total noob at this stuff, so what i would LOVE to know is what programs i need to start off.... i mean if i''m not aloud to edit onlink then atleast i could try making a mod for Uplink. (i mean i could make a Ghost In Shell Kinda Mod which i think is cool)

I also wanted to make this post as a reference for any others who want to know what tools they need before they start off.

I don't really care how long it'll be. and i'm a quick learner.

Post subject:Re: Wanna Start Off...
PostPosted:Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 pm 

Learning to program is long and tedious (at least it was for me). Its not a "quick edit" as you call it, its scrolling through lines of text and editing them. You get to learn fun new concepts like arrays, loops, indexes and other fun things.

But if you really want to learn you'll need

Microsoft Visual Studio Express C++
www.learncpp.com

You'll be at a level where you can understand Uplink in maybe six months if you work hard. I'm still not there and I've taken a high school programming class and I'm independently trying to learn C++ on the side. Life gets in the way and it's easy to learn interest but I sincerely believe its wroth learning.

And thats about it. Also for future notice I believe this question has been asked before in the General Coding section, please use the search button.

PostPosted:Thu May 15, 2008 8:09 pm 

I've tried going into the coding section before but it says i need special permission. the one reason i wanna learn c++ is so i can make my own kinda hacking, tycoon and strategy games which i love i always use to request things, but then it hit me, hey i gotta lot of spare time in a day so why not learn the damm stuff.

besides its technology and you gotta know that kinda stuff for the comming ages.

anyway i just managed to get some other guides from some back alley links, all i need now i a big tube of lemon sobet and niknacks.... and my teddy definatly need my teddy to help me learn :lol:

ok i just learned that i can go into programming. i think i got it mixed up with the uplink forums... oops

PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 12:47 am 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Believe you me, programming is ass-hard when you start trying to do more complex stuffs. It's rarely a "quick tweak", because if you change one value, you might end up fucking up the entire thing (unless the program was coded and compartmentalized really well). Errors will happen if you make even the smallest mistake (forgetting to put a semicolon at the end of a line, or putting a semicolon at the end of other lines...), and the worst kind of errors (IMO) are logic ones, because your compiler can't detect those.

Just recently I had a pain-in-the-ass time with a palindrome program in Java. Even after I got the algorithm itself to work, my output was funky as hell. Turns out that I was doing "input = scan.next();" (where input is a String variable and scan is the name of my Scanner object) instead of "input = scan.nextLine();". Tiny mistake = major error.

Nonetheless, good luck on your endeavors to learn programming. Start small and simple, just just ol' outputs (cout >> "Hello world!") and then work your way up.

As for the basics that you'll need, Gwanky's basically provided everything: a compiler (MS Visual Studios) and tutorials.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 2:09 pm 
External Project Staff

Quote:
But if you really want to learn you'll need

Microsoft Visual Studio Express C++
There are other opensource IDEs that are just as good or even better, so you don't necessarily need that one. Code::Blocks is a good one.

Also, developing is a lot harder than you might think. A good game will already take several years, with several hours of work each day, and about 10 people.

PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm 

I only said Visual Studio, because it is more or less a standard. I'm not saying it's the only compiler or even the best, but it is certainly the most popular.

Also don't expect to just start making games start off small. Like really small. Like microscopic, so far the most complex piece of software I've managed to write converts a sentence into pig latin. Sounds fairly simple right? Making a program that converts an entire sentence to pig latin took me about two weeks, granted I'm not a programming genius or anything but the point is it takes a long time.

PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm 

I would really suggest learning a language thats easier to understand first( like VB or something ). C++ isn't all that ... hrm ... user friend. After you learn some of the fundamentals of OOP then I would think about learning C++.

Some compilers to think about:

Dev-C++
Code::Blocks
Visual C++ 2008 Express Edidtion

A link to a site I used back in 9th grade( lol, 2001 ) when I first started attempting to learn C.

Free Programming Resources

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 3:05 am 

Quote:
I only said Visual Studio, because it is more or less a standard. I'm not saying it's the only compiler or even the best, but it is certainly the most popular.
gcc is by far the most popular.

And Visual Studio is more of an IDE then just compiler.

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 4:29 am 
Connoisseur of the Godawful

Yahoo Messenger:alistair_lynn
AOL:Agent_Vast@mac.com
Quote:
Nonetheless, good luck on your endeavors to learn programming. Start small and simple, just just ol' outputs (cout >> "Hello world!") and then work your way up.
cout << "Hello world!";

NOT

cout >> "Hello world!"

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 6:42 am 
Literally Nine

Also, despite being written in Java, I find NetBeans to be an adequate IDE for Linux C++ development. I hate Java with a passion, but an IDE is just that. A user interface for a text editor and pretty face for a compiler. It doesn't do actual code compilation or anything that's performance-critical. Hence, I think this is (*sigh* I may regret saying this) an acceptable application of Java.

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 7:44 am 

Dev-Cpp all the way! \o/

EDIT: w00t my userbars came back. :D

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 5:43 pm 
Literally Nine

My only beef with Dev-Cpp is that the Bloodshed.net guys haven't updated it in forever. And it looks like they won't, either, as I've tried contacting them but have gotten no response.

There is only one live Dev-Cpp fork I know of, and it's primarily for wxwidgets users (wxDev-C++). I don't know if they do much with maintaining the actual IDE or just their additions to it or what. But it looks like they're "it".

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 10:30 pm 

Its nice to know i made a topic that gets everyone talking, the main main reason i wanna learn code is so i can do some garage style spanner and hammer fiddles with it hehe.

and as for a couple hours a day i'mglad i've been blessed with only needing about 3 hours sleep a day so i got alot of time...work or no work.

PostPosted:Sun May 18, 2008 5:51 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:Squall591
AOL:FinalWarrior591
Quote:
Quote:
cout << "Hello world!";

NOT

cout >> "Hello world!"
Fucking... I always get those damn carrots mixed up. Thanks for catching my mistake.

-- Griffinhart

PostPosted:Tue May 20, 2008 2:03 am 
External Project Staff

Its very simple. I remember them like this:
<< when you send a variable to the function
>> when the function sends a result to the variable

cout << "Hello World!";
cin >> input;