Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Help with a drug addicted friend?
    PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:49 am 

So a friend of mine's is addicted to coke. My friend and this girl are are in love and she wants to quit, she hates the fact that she does coke, and she doesn't get high anymore, she just gets numb. The girl tried to quit and stayed off for two weeks before she got drunk and used again last night. She called my friend crying this morning, about it.

My friend doesn't know who to turn to as he isn't really friends with most of this girl's friends. Many of this girl's friends also do coke, so they aren't much of a help, and the girl has confessed that she can't even be around people doing coke without doing coke and she knows thats messed up.

Does anyone have any experience in matters like this, I'm hoping the anonymity of the internet will prevent anyone from being judged. So what should I tell my friend some good ways to support her are, she's agreed to get professional help only if all else fails. My friend has given up drinking and smoking pot to support her although this is really nothing compared to what she has to deal with (an addiction.) so please, any advice is appreciated.

Post subject:Re: Help with a drug addicted friend?
    PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:59 am 
    External Project Staff

I see 3 options here:
    1. Stay away from anything and anyone coke-related, and so removing the possibility of getting and using coke
    2. She should tell all her friends (especially the ones that also use coke) to help her stop, and if they are real friends, they will help her with this
    3. Get professional help

I'm not addicted to anything, so I cant even start to realize how difficult this is. Good luck anyways.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:24 pm 
    Organ Donor

The first sentence has me a little confused. Is the friend the girl is with also addicted to coke? Or is that supposed to say "my friend's girlfriend is addicted to coke"?

Not trying to be an asshole about grammar. The answer to the question could make a big difference.

Pleasantville by Night, a humorous horror web RPG

PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:21 pm 

For the sake of clarity, my friend's girl friend, significant other, person of special interest, is addicted to cocaine.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:17 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
    Im new here so i hope you all dont take this as just trying to make new posts, I have been in two differnt realationships, where the person was hooked on coke. I have never tried it myself. Its hard to stop once you have started for so long, like you said about your friend, she doesnt even get high no more. Here are some ways i used to try and make my ex's stop using.

1. During their detox (if not in a clinic) take them out to "differnt" places, go-go cart track, put put golf. Something she hasnt done before, that will keep her mind off the 'sweats'.

2. Their is a drug called subutex that takes away the urge to re-use. ( Artie Langg, the celeb uses this, and its the reason hes stayed off heroin for so long). My ex was also was prescribed this, for coke, and worked wonders during the detox phase. ( Be careful using this drug though, it can cause additiction to the drug its self, if used after detox).

3. Family...Family...Family, If she does have anyone that is close to her like family, or blood family she trusts, she needs to be around them 24/7, even consider moving in with someone else she trusts for the time being.

4. Make sure her attitude changes for the better during the first phases of detox, if you see her mood change for the worse (not her being sick from detox) but depressed she isnt doing coke, then you need to change your approach and quick, but if she is seeing the the light parsay, and seeing that her recovering is the best thang..during the detox,,, then more than likly she will make it through it with what ever your during to detox her.

The best site i have found for this matter is
    http://www.cocaineabusetreatment.com/index.htm

I truly hope your friend can make it through this. It was hard for me too see my friends go through this as well.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:57 pm 

Thanks for the advice, code.Zry that site seemed to be an add for a rehab clinic more than actual information.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:55 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:sfericz
    Gwanky your right, I just went to the site too. I guess they have changed it, I apoligese, I should have checked it before I gave it to you, use to be a good site my Ex used. I will find you a better link, and maybe some more info for you and your friend.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:31 pm 

If anyone was wondering, she has been clean since my last post, and as of yesterday has erased her Coke dealer from her phone. (She continued to hook up friends with coke after she quit, apparently she has a very good coke dealer that gets 60% - 80% pure and gets a "strain" (It's strain with pot, I don't know anything about coke) of coke called fire which supposedly numbs your whole throat) so I'm real proud of her.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:24 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:xmodctech
    AOL:rebeliousness434
    As someone that was once addicted to cocaine, I do have a little experience with the subject. This girl is going through a really rough time right now. Cocaine is one of the hardest drug's to get away from. Screw rehab, that might just make her worse. You and her bf need to sit her down and find out if this is really what she wants. If she doesn't really want to get off of cocaine, there really is no helping her. If she does, however, then she is going to be very mad at y'all before this is over. If she lives with her boyfriend, he is going to need to watch her like a hawk. Make sure she isn't around people that do it or people who are doing it. That's the first step. Second, when she goes out, make sure you know where she is going, who she is going to be there with, and how long she is going to be there. If she can't or won't answer all three of those, DO NOT LET HER GO. Not even to the corner store. I know that sounds harsh, but I don't know how many times I went to the store for a "drink" and called a buddy to get a hit. Third, if she is really serious about getting away from cocaine, she won't object to much to her bf dealiong with the money. If she has no pocket cash, she can't buy. Plain and simple. And unless she is on really close terms with a dealer, most dime-bag slinger's don't give credit. If she doesn't live with her bf, it makes all these steps a lot more difficult. However, if you two stick to her, she has a good chance. I've been clean going on a year now, and just so you know, even when she's gets through this, she will still occasionally get a taste for some. SO you will still have to watch her for probably a couple of months, depending on how much she did do. Like I said, it's very addictive. I used daily for over 3 years and went cold turkey. And I went through a lot of "white heaven", so believe me when I say it's addictive. But, good luck and I hope this helps in some way.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:03 pm 

Yeah just for clarity and removal of confusion, it's actually my gf, I simply phrased my earlier post in a way that I hoped would be more anonymous and avoid any prejudices that people would have about me, "dating a cokehead" but at this stage I no longer care.

We don't live together, and she doesn't have a true psychical addiction because she's not going through detox she told me its more of a psychological dependence. She was also using coke as a crutch and it's something shes only just starting to get over, which I hope will make it easier.

Shes on very good terms with her dealer and could probably get coke on credit, but I trust her.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:44 am 

Yahoo Messenger:xmodctech
    AOL:rebeliousness434
    Just be there for when she needs you, make sure she doens't go anywhere alone, or leaves her house without telling you where she is going.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:39 pm 

I wouldn't say her addiction is that strong we've been in the room with people blowing coke together and she hasn't even expressed an interest. She still drinks and goes out on her own. The one time she did blow coke she called me crying the next day. You don't have to be a helicopter person to help someone.

PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:50 am 

It's been awhile since i came here, and i just saw this... and it interested me. How did it work out?

PostPosted:Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am 

Really well thanks for asking, almost two months now.