Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Quick Poll, what religion is everybody?
PostPosted:Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:17 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what religion is everybody, and do you practice it. I am a practicing Roman Catholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm 
Literally Nine

Well, shit. I detect a flame war eventually erupting from this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:19 am 
External Project Staff

*cough* *cough*

I can't see, there's too much smoke

*cough* *cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:12 am 

I'm strongly, some would say militantly, atheist. Feel like a rational debate? It's been a long time since I got to type all snarky-like.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:16 am 

atheistic pastafarianism, that would describe my religion best 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:43 pm 

I don't mind a debate, but keep it civil. A flame war is simply annoying. I will open with this.

Your theory of how humans came to be is something along these lines I'm guessing.

(Big Bang)-->(Earth is formed)-->(Life begins)-->(Evolution)-->(Humans arrive on the scene)

My theory goes like this

(God was begotten not made)-->(God makes the Big Bang)-->(The Big Bang under God's guidance is responsible for Earth)-->(God has us evolve in the manner that we do)-->(Humans are formed)

Scientists say that every step in that flow chart is close to a mathematical impossibility. How does that not suggest at least some intelligent design?

I would like to say something though. I am Catholic however I don't take the Bible nor do I take Church Policies 100% without question. I believe in evolution but I also believe it was the result of God.

I find all those of faith (I am considering atheism a form of faith here) to generally be good people with a couple of bad apples. There is only one belief that I tend to find a couple good apples in a bushel of bad ones. Agnostics, although I know some very smart motivated agnostics, I find them in general to be a lazy group of folks that want to believe in God, but don't have the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:59 pm 

Yahoo Messenger:rookie10276
AOL:rookie10276
I would consider myself a follower of Christ. I'm hesitant to say Christianity outright, because the word Christianity has preconceived notions. Many people call themselves Christians when all they really have is a family background of Judeo-Christian beliefs. So this is what my religion is:

Lucifer, God's head angel decided he should do his own thing and try to become like God. God said no, and cast him out of His presence. God created the universe, including humankind. Man sinned* (and from then on human nature is innately evil). Humans, having sin in their life, could not be in the presence of God after they die. Jesus (part of the trinity) came to take the punishment of sin for man. Man only needs to accept that Christ did this and follow Him(Jesus) and what He(Jesus says, which is in the Bible). Then that person who is saved after he/her dies can be in Heaven with God.

*Sin is not following God. Lucifer tempted Adam and Eve to disregard what God told them not to do.

So hopefully anyone who isn't familiar with what my religion(technically Christianity) is really about...now they know.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:21 pm 

Interesting, do you attend church, or just believe these things?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:15 am 
External Project Staff

Quote:
(Big Bang)-->(Earth is formed)-->(Life begins)-->(Evolution)-->(Humans arrive on the scene)

My theory goes like this

(God was begotten not made)-->(God makes the Big Bang)-->(The Big Bang under God's guidance is responsible for Earth)-->(God has us evolve in the manner that we do)-->(Humans are formed)
Not that I'm christian, but big bang + evolution and bible creation can be combined really well. Problem is, if the church admits this, they would lose power, and due that, lose a lot of followers.

I only follow my own religion, because big religions are always abused to get power.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:19 am 

What is your own religion?

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 am 

I'm an Agnostic.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:21 am 

Yahoo Messenger:azurozeta@yahoo.com
Never thought i would run across this topic here. As for me, i live for Christ, and plan to die for Him. A typical zealot, if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:13 pm 

Okay, never thought that something like this would pop up but... :P

Christian.

And a really funny thought of how creation occurred just came to me... Dunno why its funny, but my brain is laughing... (I know, my brain is weird)

God walked into his playroom.
He sat down at his drum set, and made a "Big Bang".
Then he realized that his playroom was dark, so he went to go buy some lightbulbs, these became stars.
Next, he accidentally spilled a glass of water on some of his Beginner's Mass Making models, and this created oceans and water sources.

Eh... got to go... more later. Yeah, its weird right now, but feel free to improve. Amazing what you can think up in 2 minutes. :D

Okay, seriously, no flaming, or I'll have to use my almighty powers to do nothing but plea for the flames to stop...

Okay I'm done now. :P

Check out Elysian Shadows and consider backing us on Kickstarter!

====================================

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:43 pm 

The part that really gets me is this: If you look at the evolution of religion over time, one sees a clear pattern concerning the purpose of religion in general. It's a natural response to the vastness of the universe and man's initial inability to explain the things going on around him. It makes sense to assume that just as man can influence the world around him, some being much larger must influence the world on a grander scale. These ideas were born out of ignorance of how the world really works. Once we understand that lightning is created by a buildup of negative charge in clouds, we no longer need to have Zeus or Jupiter throwing bolts around.
As science continues to progress, I hope that we'll see religion phased out, just as older religions have been.

The only thing that makes me afraid this might not happen is the need in weaker minds for an all-powerful parent figure who's in control of everything, and has an all-enveloping plan for the world. The thought of a world where bad things happen to good people for no reason is not a pleasant one, but sadly, for the intelligent person, there can be no alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted:Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:35 pm 

Swordfish data, I take offense to the implied sentiment that only an unintelligent person can believe in God. I have nothing against atheists, however I do dislike anyone that tells me that my religion is wrong. Jesus Christ is my savior. I need to believe in God, I know he exists, I can feel his presence around me. If someone managed to break my spirit and convince me that there was no God, I would be a sad and broken person. Reason with spirit is not good for anyone. Perhaps believing in a lack of a God keeps you going, however for me the idea of a world without God is akin to a community without laws.