Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Is it right for newspaper companies to be allowed to prioritize the cricket over the New Orleans disaster?
    Yes, they can do whatever the hell they like.  20%  [1 ]
    Yes, the cricket is more interesting than people dying in natural disasters.  20%  [1 ]
    No, it's morally unjust.  20%  [1 ]
    Hell no, newspaper editors are evil bastards that should rot in hell (excuse my language).  0%  [0 ]
    I couldn't care less.  40%  [2 ]
    Total votes :5
     Post subject:Newspapers
    PostPosted:Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:17 pm 

OK, I live in England. On 12/09/2005 we won the cricket against Australia in the Ashes for the first time in many a year. The front pages of 7 different newspapers that I saw today had articles on the cricket on them with nothing else. Only 2 mentioned petrol prices. One newspaper took up the first 5 pages with cricket articles.

This saddens and angers me. A huge natural disaster occurs and the newspapers snatch it up, but they very quickly go onto petrol price rises as a result of it, pretty much sending the New Orleans hurricane all the way to page 10. A few days later, we win the cricket, sending petrol to pages 5-3 ish, rarely on the front page. In one newspaper I got to page 23 before I saw a single article directly related to the New Orleans disaster (other than petrol price rises, in which New Orleans was not mentioned once).

I know newspaper companies want to sell newspapers with the latest news in order to make the largest profit, but the cricket taking over a massive natural disaster in which hundreds died (did I get the right figure there, or is it thousands?) is just wrong.

I want to know what you lot think about this.

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:27 pm 

I've stopped reading newspapers when I found that most of them are bashing a point of view or praising theirs all the time even when they are not supposed to.

This week, one of the two free newspaper distributed in the subway in my city had for 3 days in a row a full page advertisement for the front page. (one of them was a car ad :P )

Post subject:
    PostPosted:Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 am 

Newspapers are nearly always biased, apart from ones that require an education to read (like The Guardian or The Financial Times). Most of them are full of 'celeb gossip' crap anyway. "ZOMG THIS CELEB R BANGIN THIS CELEB ZOMG TEH FOTOS" etc.

Also, the way they look at royalty confuses me. It's like... they're just normal people. And the press are like OMG PRINCE HARRY R HAD A PARTY AND GOT DRUNK LOLOL! Well duh... 99% of all males between the ages of 18 and 25 get drunk at parties. Why shouldn't he?

Ok, I admit, they do have some good stuff in, but if you want real news, get the local paper, an "educated" national newspaper (one where the average number of letters in a word is more than 5, hehe) and a specific subject magazine (like Wired, New Scientist, Hardware, Scientific America, or just read Slashdot and BBC News online) to weed out all the celeb crap.

Anyhoo, thanks for the comment ^_^