Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:Onlink : Relativity
    PostPosted:Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:36 pm 

Since Christmas 2009, I have been working on a conversion mod for Uplink to fill the void currently left due to the hiatus between Onlink and 'Cerberus', the suspiciously Mass Effect-style named alternative project we are all eagerly awaiting (should it still be in production).

To put it simply, I've been trying to bring Uplink into the 'real world'. I, as we all do, love Uplink and Onlink with a passion but there are certain aspects I have always wanted to change and expand upon. Here is a teeny tiny taster list:-

-Missions for world governments.
    In Relativity, you will be able to take missions from various world powers aiming to upstage each other, so for example there is a mission for the newly reformed Soviet Bloc to expose the locations of strategic missile silos owned by the USA, and things to that effect. There is also a bonus (and incredibly difficult to find) mission for a global news corporation to find and expose the guy who killed JFK, which can lead to a mission in which you cause his 'accidental' demise. Owing to this, there is a newly rebalanced rating system to replace the mostly arbitrary 'neuromancer' rating, which will align you with various factions.

-Outta this world stuff
    A major overhaul of the tech available will allow players who have acquired sufficient funds to launch their own satellites, allowing (eventually) to distance themselves from Uplink Corp. and form their own group (resulting in a major conflict with Uplink, obviously lol) as well as doing the 'unthinkable'...

-Social Media
    The addition of 'Twatter' and 'Crazebook' will allow players to find the most intricate details of "celebrity" characters and sell them for huge profit, as well as the added joy of sending up 'Justin Belieber' for a 40 years stretch (should you choose).

That is a small taste of the changes.

I would really appreciate any comments and/or help with the production of this, although much of the work has been done already, I would love to share this with a few other devoted fans to make it a real group project.

In particular, graphic artists to do some original work for the GUI amongst other things, and of course if you want to help with coding you'll need to be versed in C++ and have the software to carry it out.

DeeQ

Post subject:Re: Onlink : Relativity
    PostPosted:Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 am 

Hey DeeQ,

That sounds like some great content! Thanks for all the hard work. What build will it be based upon?

PostPosted:Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm 

Unless you need anything done in actionscript, can't help you there, sorry... But this project looks great, man, having something to help waiting for Cerberus would be awesome! :classy:

PostPosted:Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:55 pm 

I'm not very good with C++ or graphic arts, but I can try and help in any way I can!